Are textbooks necessary?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Mikado, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Mikado

Mikado Senior Member

Does anyone out there not use textbooks AND get good grades?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TechMan

TechMan Dreams Stuff are Made of.

Hmm... this is an odd question. I only use textbooks as much as is necessary, but that turns out to be quite a bit. Using the textbook provides a more in depth look at the subject, and seems to solidy what is learned in class or presented in lecture notes.

4. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    It likely depends on your program. At my school we were given a huge syllabus for each class, textbooks were not really needed. But, I will say that getting a board review book for each class as you go through it and using it to study as well will help you when it comes time for Step 1.

------------------
    Rob
    http://views.vcu.edu/medimf/rob/greatpumpkin.shtml

[This message has been edited by GreatPumpkin (edited April 22, 2001).]

5. Mango

Mango Very Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    About 90% of us never use "text" books. Like GP, we are given lecture notes by each professor, which contain everything you need to know. Some people supplement that by reading texts, and if you feel like you have time for that then go for it! Most people however, are getting by fine without text.

BUT, we do use our atlases!! Wheater's and Netter's, plus Haines for Neuroanatomy. You need to see the pretty pictures.

6. Sheon

Sheon Senior Member

I use the textbooks quite frequently, and I have come to the conclusion that for the amount of information that you are actually able to use, the textbooks are a waste of money.

They come in handy to explain some of the points the professors don't do a good job on, but their utility is limited by several facts:

1) The instructors don't want you to know the level of detail the textbooks provide. So, using the notes they give you tends to be a more efficient use of time.

2) Many of the textbooks are good at explaining one thing and poor at explaining others. The only textbook I found to be useful at everything it explains was "Basic Histology" by Junqueria. That single book probably would've been worth the money.

3) Most of the textbooks were accessible without purchase anyway (on reserve, on the shelves, or provided for use).

Textbooks are just too darn expensive for the amount of utility you get from them. Unlike undergrad (where you may follow a textbook through from begining to end) they only reccommended reading a few chapters from each text, anyway.

Get the review books, get a good anatomy atlas, read your dissector, and use the textbooks in the library. Save your money for spring break (or get a palm pilot and download the medical dictionary).