Are the DAT and the MCAT Preparation materials(Kapplan) the same??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent29

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sorry if this is a stupid question, but i have to ask :confused:

Are the MCAt and DAT, Kapplan materials basically the same thing?? If I was to study the Kapplan material for the MCAT would this help on taking the DAT??

Members don't see this ad.

dent29 said:
Im sorry if this is a stupid question, but i have to ask :confused:

Are the MCAt and DAT, Kapplan materials basically the same thing?? If I was to study the Kapplan material for the MCAT would this help on taking the DAT??

or i guess it wont help, because you need the PAT section, that the MCAT doesn't cover.

MCAT books are good for a more in depth understanding of DAT material. However there are some sections missing in biology (ecology, phylogeny), no QR section and no PAT. I studied with both MCAT and DAT books since I already had MCAT books around.

Does anyone know which sections aren't found in the MCAT Kaplan review book? I have these books from my sister and I don't want to buy DAT books...especially since they're hard to find here. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
puncho said:
Does anyone know which sections aren't found in the MCAT Kaplan review book? I have these books from my sister and I don't want to buy DAT books...especially since they're hard to find here. Thanks.

No PAT
No Phylogeny
No Quantative Reasoning
Little material pertinent to plants
There are other minor difference which I don't remember
Also the MCAT books go more in depth than necessary in many areas

airadface said:
can you buy these books from stores like barnes and nobles?

Yes, Kaplan offers the exact same books retail as you get in the course. You can go to a local bookstore $65 or Amazon.com $45 ish, 2nd hand are cheaper. I would stay away from some eBay stuff. There seems to be a lot of photocopying and stealing of Kaplan's internal workshop stuff. Seems like some guy has set up an eBay shop with photocopies and stolen exams and thinks it's cool to do this, real entrepreneur...just the kind of dentist I want working on me...