Are there any Board Review books on PDA's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a PDA, but my main purpose would be that I could carry around something very small that I can study stuff on when bored. But I havn't really been able to find anything that I think I could study. Do you guys know of any???

Members don't see this ad.

Don't buy a PDA now, save your money for 2 yrs later when the technology is better and PDAs might be cheaper. The only board review PDA programs that I ever saw was Kaplan had one that I never bothered to download, and I think that there are others out there made by people just trying to make a quick buck. A good book to carry around if you go traveling or something for board review (which is really not something you should be doing right now) is Buzzwords for the boards. If you have too much money on your hands, spend it on some nice books for right now.

I'd agree that a book might be better than a PDA for study. Reading large amounts of text on a small PDA screen gets tiring very quickly. PDAs are great for looking up snippets of facts when your on the go but a book would be much better for studying.

That said, I still think you should get PDA anyway if you can afford it. It will make life a lot easier during your clinical work and they are good fun too!

If you want medical reference texts have a look at www.medicalpocketpc.com and www.pdamd.com

Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just planning on spending 120$ and getting a palm 105. Not to much. Then once I get to my 3rd year, I would spend 80$ and get a palm 234234G.
But apparently there doesn't seem to be any books. I don't care about reading on the small screen. I was thinking of taking it to the gym with me so that I would be more productfull.

I think the m105 is really good value for money.

As for good books - I don't know if they've brought out many board review books for palm yet. Have you looked at the merck manual? Its a bit more 'book-like' than the 5min clinical consult. They are both fairly pricey though.

You might be able to use some of the 'traditional' ebooks on a palm if you get the right reader software. I think they might be too big on the file size though. Email the chaps at ebooks.com and ask them. They've definitely got lots of medical ebooks for PCs.

Anyone else got any experience of using ebooks on Palms or Pocket PCs???

More good sites to look for medical software are www.palmgear.com and www.healthypalmpilot.com.

Chris