Are there any fields one would be looked down upon for entering based on their nature?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntoTheNight

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think anyone should be judged as a physician by anything other than their merit. But a recent tweet by Andrew Huberman talked about his skepticism regarding visiting a dentist with bad teeth. Does this same logic extend to medicine?

Could one, for example, face challenges being judged by patients or colleagues as a bald dermatologist, or as an opthalmologist that wears glasses?

Keep in mind I am merely considering the way things are, not as they should be. No one should be judged for these things, but realistically, it seems like they might be.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I don't think anyone should be judged as a physician by anything other than their merit. But a recent tweet by Andrew Huberman talked about his skepticism regarding visiting a dentist with bad teeth. Does this same logic extend to medicine?

Could one, for example, face challenges being judged by patients or colleagues as a bald dermatologist, or as an opthalmologist that wears glasses?

Keep in mind I am merely considering the way things are, not as they should be. No one should be judged for these things, but realistically, it seems like they might be.
I certainly would judge an obese IM or FM doc. Don’t know how you can council someone on weight, HTN etc like that without looking like a hypocrite.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn’t take any obese doctor seriously if they tried to council me on weight or health. Lmbo I think that’s human nature and probably common sense. People don’t want hypocrites talking about what they should or shouldn’t be doing.

• Dislike

Maybe a doctor who smokes, but in reality doctors are human and so they're going to run the gamut of how they look. And obese patience can certainly relate to a doctor who has weight problems

Reactions: 4 users

A bald dermatologist? Male pattern baldness is genetically determined.

Reactions: 6 users

Althoughw professional appearance is being redefined or maybe even being eliminated in modern times, I think it still matters. You don’t have to look like a model, but being well kept inspires confidence and respect.

In my opinion, the main way this comes into play is with being well kempt. Basic grooming, basic hygiene, dressing decently (which can be as simple as clean scrubs). Sounds extremely obvious, but I know of a few residents who had to be pulled aside and given feedback on this.

Reactions: 1 users
Likely matters rarely if at all. The main ones that come to mind are cosmetic surgeons, some dermatologists, or anyone else in that aesthetic cash-only space. Those docs are selling a fantasy to some extent, and most of the successful docs tend to be fairly attractive or at least look a lot younger than they really are.

Agree it’s usually much more about overall grooming and a professional appearance. An overweight doc with clothes that fit well and a well groomed appearance won’t have any trouble.

Reactions: 3 users
In regards to the bald dermatologist comment, that was part of my point. There are factors outside of one's control that might be judged harshly by others (even if they do know that it is out of the doctor's control). Assuming there might be genetic conditions that affect one's appearance, does that preclude them from entering one of those "selling a dream" fields like plastic surgery, derm, etc?

A psychotic psychiatrist
Sociopathic surgeon
Pedantic pediatrician
Dimpled dermatologist

I’m sure there are other alliterations out there, but in seriousness, I agree. Most of us wouldn’t want to consult an actively psychotic psychiatrist (or doc of any specialty)

Sadly, that’s all some employers care about—that we’re not actively psychotic.

OP-I think more MDs are judged for their hygiene/how they dress than if they’re overweight/balding/have glasses. But I would agree for the aesthetic specialties (particularly if cash-based and more elective based, rather than reconstructive), you’re going to get people judging you much more on things like skin complexity/BMI/quality of your hair plugs/brand of shoes you wear, car you drive, etc etc.

I think the docs looking to appeal to that group are likely to adhere to some of those group’s preferred expectations anyway.

One of our best cardiologists looks like he’s eaten quite a few too many cheeseburgers. But he’s pleasant/professional/well-dressed/quite skilled and patients love him.