Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Are there any flight deals out there???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Scooby Doo, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Does anyone know of any airline flight deals going on right now?
    I am trying to make a multiple destination flight and it's coming up with a ridiculous cost of $2,110.00 ....screw that!
    Help please :)

2. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Have you tried using a travel agent? They're oftentimes able to get deals (or maybe it's just that they know about them) that we mortals can't. I find especially for multiple destination flights that they're often the best bet. Didn't I hear somewhere about a Northwest deal?

3. 6 to 8 Weeks

6 to 8 Weeks Member
    7+ Year Member

Try orbitz.com they do cheap multi-destination flights. Much better than expedia. Usually, the websites are basically self-serve travel agents because I have tried to talk to a travel agent and everytime they give me the same price and the exact same flight.

4. mdhopeful

mdhopeful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi all. Some travel advice. Do not try and get a multiple destination flight. They call these "open jaw" flights and it will cost you an arm and a leg. Many times you will be better off buying a bunch of one-way flights. I have only 2 interviews so far and I got cheap deals directly on the airlines' websites. However, my health science advisor game me a little pamphlet called "The Medical School Interview" that has interviewing tips. In the back there is an announcement about airfar and car rental discounts for pre-health profession students traveling to interviews. You get 5% off lowest fares and discounts on zone fares. Here is the Health Professions Travel Desk number 800-944-9923. If anyone tries it, please post if it is useful. Good luck.

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you belong to AMSA (American Medical Student Association) you can get discounts on hotels, airlines and rental cars.
    They have a pre-med membership that comes with the magazine "The New Physician" It is great.

6. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Sometimes airline web sites are horrendously expensive, sometimes ok. I got a great deal on an open-jaw between MN, NY, and PA this summer; it can be done! Orbitz, a few other sites, and then a travel agent are definitely your best bets.