Are there any general surgery programs with an elective or emphasis on global health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.0ne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some peds/IM programs (namely at Baylor) have an option where you can do one of your years overseas. Is there anything like this for general surgery programs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are programs which encourage some over seas work or global health, but the requirements for general surgery generally prevent something like a year overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ours!

It's done as a research year, but has become very popular, several residents ask to do it every year. Right now we have the funding to send only one/yr but anticipate it growing fairly quickly

Academic Global Surgery Fellowship: Surgery - UT Southwestern, Dallas, TX

As surgonc2017 stated, there are ABS rules that prevent you from really doing a year operating overseas (rather, you can do it but there are rules about which cases can actually count -- I don't remember the specifics but it wasn't straightforward)

The ABS rules about training are quite strict which generally means, as noted above, not taking any time off away from your mother program except under the guise of a research year or two over and above the standard minimum five years.

Elective time is pretty minimal during those five years as well but you might be able to swing a month during your junior years.

I would note however that a number of programs have managed to establish an international rotation that meets ABS requirements, such that the cases done and the time both count towards graduation.

It's just that this is usually only a one or two month deal, not an entire year (which I agree with those above would likely not be possible outside of as a separate research year)
Good to know.

I didn't realize it had been formalized.

Thanks.

I know many of the residents in their research years at Brigham and Women's spend an entire year in Rwanda. BWH is a big place for global surgery (and Global Health in general).

Reactions: 1 users