Are there any moms on this forum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuvSydney1018

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation: I have 3 years finished toward my biology degree, then I took 2 years off from school and had a baby. During those 3 yrs I was completely burnt out on school and had no idea what I really wanted to do with my life, and my grades reflect it (it's so irritating because I know I could have aced all of those classes, I just didn't have the ambition at the time). I only have a 2.94 cumulative. After talking to my pharmacist father-in-law, I have finally found a career that actually jumps out at me. I have finally found that 'something' that really makes me want to open a book and study it! Since I have spent all of this time unsure of my future, I have absolutely nothing substantial to put on my resume. I have never worked in a pharmacy, I have never volunteered at a hospital, I have never done research, all I have done is waited tables to pay my way through school.

So here enlies the problem: now I'm a mother and if I were to go to school and try to work in a pharmacy, it would actually cost me money because I wouldn't make enough to pay for daycare. I still have to take Statistics, Economics and both semesters of A&P, and I should probably retake a class or 2, so I am going to apply for Fall 09 admission to South Carolina College of Pharmacy. Is that enough time to get experience under my belt? What if I don't get any experience at all? Are there people with less than stellar grades AND no experience who get admitted? Are there any mothers out there who are struggling to juggle all of this? Even if you aren't a mom, please respond, I'm just looking for a little insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a mom of two kids and decided on pharmacy school 4 years ago without any experience or college credits. It has taken me this long because I had to start at elementary algebra and work all the way up to calculus and then my husband got sick, which necessitated my taking a semester off. So in a way, you are way ahead of where I was.

I hear what you are saying about daycare though. Not only is it expensive, but it would be like paying to stay away from your child--not very maternally-intuitive is it? However, if this is something you really want to do, you will find a way to make it work. Life is all about choices and sacrifices. Just be sure to pick the one you can live with.

I did find a part-time job at Walgreens, but my husband was there for the kids when I was working at night. It sounds like you don't have that luxury? I do think that if you found a part-time pharmacy job this summer, that would give you enough time to show your interest/knowledge. Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions.

Here's my situation: I have 3 years finished toward my biology degree, then I took 2 years off from school and had a baby. During those 3 yrs I was completely burnt out on school and had no idea what I really wanted to do with my life, and my grades reflect it (it's so irritating because I know I could have aced all of those classes, I just didn't have the ambition at the time). I only have a 2.94 cumulative. After talking to my pharmacist father-in-law, I have finally found a career that actually jumps out at me. I have finally found that 'something' that really makes me want to open a book and study it! Since I have spent all of this time unsure of my future, I have absolutely nothing substantial to put on my resume. I have never worked in a pharmacy, I have never volunteered at a hospital, I have never done research, all I have done is waited tables to pay my way through school.

So here enlies the problem: now I'm a mother and if I were to go to school and try to work in a pharmacy, it would actually cost me money because I wouldn't make enough to pay for daycare. I still have to take Statistics, Economics and both semesters of A&P, and I should probably retake a class or 2, so I am going to apply for Fall 09 admission to South Carolina College of Pharmacy. Is that enough time to get experience under my belt? What if I don't get any experience at all? Are there people with less than stellar grades AND no experience who get admitted? Are there any mothers out there who are struggling to juggle all of this? Even if you aren't a mom, please respond, I'm just looking for a little insight.

I'm not a mom or anything, I'm 22, but I find it is the rare case or individual who gets admitted into pharmacy school with relatively low grades and no experience at all. I'm sure there are cases in which students who have under a 3.0 GPA and no experience still get in, but that is usually the exception and not the norm. In addition to excelling in your remaining classes and retakes, I would definitely advise you to get some type of experience, preferably volunteering or even landing a pharmacy job if you could. Also, keep in mind you still have the PCAT ahead of you. Assuming you haven't taken it already, you have this major requirement that can shift the balance in your favor if you obtain a good score. I certainly believe you can do this though the effort you'll have to put forth is quite substantial, given your family and situation. In terms of juggling a family, I really can't tell you much on that because like I said, I'm 22, and I have no family and the associated responsibilities. However, like I've read many times from adults in their late 30s, sometimes even 40, they are capable of succeeding despite having a family. If they can do it, so can you. When there's a dream, there's a way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two boys and the youngest will be going to K this fall. I have been taking classes online since last Spring and this Fall will be the first time I take classes on campus.

I understand your situation as I do not have any pharmacy experience or EC's, volunteering either. My life is studying, caring for an ill family member and taking care of my family. I do have one project I want to get started on just to do, and maybe the schools will see it as volunteer work.

This Fall I plan to work around my younger son's schedule as he will only go to school half days. While I do have a family member that can watch him, I don't know that that will be the best thing to do. I am hoping to take two classes online (Psych and an elective) and then one class in the morning two days a week, and a night class two days a week. If I can do this, there will not be a need to worry about childcare, then next year I can go to classes from 7:30-3.

From reading these boards it appears that if you can show an improvement in your grades the schools will notice, and you may have a better chance at getting into a school. I don't know if you live near your FIL but if you do, could you shadow him or where he works as a way to get some knowledge about the work atmosphere?

good luck to you :)

it may be difficult to get through the next 5 or so years (and you may owe a lot of money)...but think of how rewarding it will be when you are done- for both you AND your child!

hey ... i'm almost in the same situation you are in ... its been two years actually since i graduated with a bachelors in biomedical sciences.... i got married about a semester before i graduated and whoa did life get busy... ive always wanted to go to pharm school ... i think i applied to like a billion pharmacies a billion times and never got a job ... i worked at a civil rights organization and then at a school as administrative assistant full time .... THEN i had a baby .... i did take the pcat somewhere between all that but did not study a minute for it and i got a sixty something percentile i dont remember but not good enough for the university i want to (scratch that .. NEED to) get into. Anyways so now I have a 4 month old and am trying to figure out how can I get some experience, study for PCAT, etc. Let me know what you plan on doing. Perhaps we can encourage each other....best of luck to you

I'm 20 years old and a single mom. I will be starting my first year of pharm school in August. All I have to say to you ladies is to keep at it! My son is the one thing that keeps me motivated to finish. Trust me, it is not easy to finish all of your prerequisites with an infant/toddler, but it is amazingly rewarding to look back and know that not only did you finish, but you did it with the extra responsibilities of being a mother. I truly believe it is possible to be a great mother and persue your own dreams simultaneously.
Good luck!!