Are there any Step 1 books that are helpful for Step 2 ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychMDhopefully

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of moving and need to travel as light as possible, meaning I'm gonna have to get rid of some books. Are there any step 1 books worth keeping for step 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with poster above, prioritize Uworld and practice NBMEs. In general, Uworld self assessments also tend to be more accurate score predictors for step 2 than the NBMEs. But I found First Aid for Step 1 and parts of sketchy micro helpful for step 2. The actual First Aid for Step 2 is too long and windy and not condensed enough for review of high yield sections like the types of immunodeficiencies or kidney pathologies. I didn't take a real dedicated (studied through interview season) but still somehow managed a 260+ so it worked well enough I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Was thinking about cranking through Pathoma at some point before step 2 as a quick refresher. Total waste of time?

Was thinking about cranking through Pathoma at some point before step 2 as a quick refresher. Total waste of time?

Nothing is a total waste of time, but that would be a very very low yield activity. Once you've mastered UWorld and the NBMEs, if you really want something more you could do OME videos.

I don't systematically use any books for my step 2 CK preperation but sometimes I skim through Secrets and ironically step 1 FA!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the process of moving and need to travel as light as possible, meaning I'm gonna have to get rid of some books. Are there any step 1 books worth keeping for step 2?

I'm going over Hematology section of pathoma along with Step1 FA just for review while doing UW questions. Planning to do the same for some other subjects.

yes, there were decent amount of step 1 questions including some biochem genetic questions. I would keep my First Aid book. Also, for step 3, it will be useful again.

Reactions: 1 user