Are there lab reports in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there weekly lab reports like in ugrad chem/bio or are there just tests?

Members don't see this ad.

No. There is nothing that you could write a lab report on anyway. There are no labs where you have to go in and do an experiment or collect data on anything.

All you do in medical school (pre-clinical, that is) is learn facts and practice how to use them to reason clinically.

We have exams and also papers to write.

Members don't see this ad :)

Research based. For instance, last year I had to do one on the pharmacokinetics of a drug. Also one on Alzheimer's. They really want to get us used to using primary literature for things.

Reactions: 1 user
Research based. For instance, last year I had to do one on the pharmacokinetics of a drug. Also one on Alzheimer's. They really want to get us used to using primary literature for things.

That's because even physicians publish papers. If you've ever co-authored a peer-reviewed paper, you'd know literally everything that did not come from your work must be cited. That means literally every single sentence in the intro is cited. Methods and Materials here and there.

Reactions: 1 user
That's because even physicians publish papers. If you've ever co-authored a peer-reviewed paper, you'd know literally everything that did not come from your work must be cited. That means literally every single sentence in the intro is cited. Methods and Materials here and there.

I know this. I was explaing this to OP.

In my school, we go to the clinic once a week pretty much since the beginning of 1st year and do patient interviews. Then we write about their present illness, past medical history, do a review of systems, and then see if the diagnosis their doctors gave them makes sense based on their symptoms. Sometimes, there is no diagnosis yet, or the patient doesn't know what his/her diagnosis is so we try to guess (really just by googling coz we don't know any medicine as M1s) what the person has. I guess this is pretty much what would be equivalent to a lab write-up in undergrad.

Lab reports in med schools is equivalent to MS working in research lab and co-authoring on papers?

Sometimes, there is no diagnosis yet, or the patient doesn't know what his/her diagnosis is so we try to guess (really just by googling coz we don't know any medicine as M1s) what the person has.

That's actually cool! In one of my undergrad class we also had to guess the patient's symptoms to guess their diagnosis. Sometimes it's so out of scope, but it's a great learning opportunity.