Are there "large" med students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinery

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not at all meant to be insensitive or offensive. I'm really wondering if there are overweight med students. I mean obviously there's going to be some, but how rare is it to see? Personally I haven't really met any overweight premeds.

The reason I ask is because I'm what you call "marginally overweight" as in I'm technically overweight but I'm not "fat" and I have a normal figure. Still, in a room full of skinny people I'm the biggest person. I'm planning to lose weight before med school and I'm just wondering if everyone in med school is skinny.

Is anyone else trying to lose weight before med school too? Do people trust overweight doctors?

I think the workout thread made me think about this.

Members don't see this ad.

in my class of 230 we have no really overweight females and maybe 2 or 3 guys who could stand to lose more than 30 pounds or so.

overweight med schools student next year right here, so u are not alone

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen too many overweight med students or doctors. But I've seen a couple nearing that overweight category.

You will not be alone.

Many patients prefer a doc with a higher BMI when they're in the same postion, as they feel more comfortable/understood/less likely to be nagged constantly about a healthier weight.

Oh, great. May the coddling begin! Yes, not only will one have fat accomplices around to relieve that urge to engage in healthy behavior, but remaining or becoming fat may actually be beneficial! How far we've come as an accepting society.

i'm overweight and going to med school, but i'm gonna change that before i go to med school :D

peeps need to chill.
it does seem that medicine attracts the lovers of the gym.
almost every med school tour I've been on has featured or mentioned the location and availability of the gym.

It wouldn't seem like there'd be many overweight med students, being as it takes about 10 years post-schooling for people to "let themselves go." I'd say you wouldn't see the fatties until the end of residency :laugh:

I think we need to clarify the definition of overweight and obese. The vast majority of the US population is overweight (BMI 25-30) and many med students are overweight. Obese is BMI>30 and I have seen very few students (and doctors) who are obese. I think this clarification is important.

I have seen at least one overweight person on my interviews except at the school I will be attending. I think it is because alot of us are type A personality. All the OP has to do is pair up with a peer, if you want to change do so if not don't. Please do not take it the wrong way, but I think it is difficult to tell patients that they need to live a healthier lifestlye if we are not.

Members don't see this ad :)
peeps need to chill.
it does seem that medicine attracts the lovers of the gym.
almost every med school tour I've been on has featured or mentioned the location and availability of the gym.
the reasons for being interested in the gym location are many-fold. people tend to gain weight during medical school, so even if you didn't work out before, you may want to begin working out. exercise is also a stress reliever, and you bet medical school is stressful.

I think we need to clarify the definition of overweight and obese. The vast majority of the US population is overweight (BMI 25-30) and many med students are overweight. Obese is BMI>30 and I have seen very few students (and doctors) who are obese. I think this clarification is important.

Well BMI is a stupid measure of "Obesity" anyways. At 5'8, 180, I am "overweight" with a BMI of 27.5, but a body fat % of 10.

Though back on topic, I've seen very very few truly obese people at med schools I've visited. I have seen a fair number of older doctors who are at least mildly obese, however.

Well BMI is a stupid measure of "Obesity" anyways. At 5'8, 180, I am "overweight" with a BMI of 27.5, but a body fat % of 10.
It's a screening tool, not a diagnostic tool. It's a reasonably useful screening tool at that.

True the gym is an excellent stress reliever. can you be addicted though? i notice if I miss a day I feel uneasy. My school has a nice gym so I know that I will still be able to go in med school, but is there a thing a too much gym?

You won't be alone. Trust me, it feels weird being "the biggest person there", even when you're not really that overweight. However, there have been quite a few studies that show that you kind of pick up the habits of people you are around. Maybe by being around people with healthier lifestyles, it will help.

My PCP did tell me a few weeks ago: "I believe that the biggest problem you will face as an upcoming physician is metabolic disease - and I mean the obesity epidemic. And you d@mn well better get yours under control before you start lecturing your patients."

I really appreciate his honesty sometimes.

as far as pre-meds go ive seen a few "fluffy"(just slighty overweight, not fat) ones including myself and one "very fluffy" person applying this year(pre-med club president)

im sure the "fluffy" to fit ratio changes later on down the line. i plan on being one of the fluffies who convert to fit as soon as the fluff feels like shedding(am working out and such)

10-15 lbs in the next few months sounds reasonable:thumbup:

....i see "very fluffy" docs all the time
so be scared, be very scared you work-out junkies:ninja:

I have quite a bit of hospital experience and all the med students and residents were fit. If any were overweight, they carried it well enough that you didn't notice. The doctors are a different story. Probably half the docs I know or have met are fit, half are overweight or obese. That's still a better ratio than what it's like out in the real world where the MAJORITY are overweight or obese.

Oddly enough all the respiratory therapists were really thin too. And the younger nurses as well. Actually, age correlated pretty well with how fit they were. It's harder to keep weight off as you get older.

You ought to read this if you're going to lose weight: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=696175 and http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

I'd recommend enough exercising to keep you healthy, but focus on FOOD to lose weight. Don't look at it as a diet, look at it as lifelong weight management.

^ physicians are also older, and your metabolism decreases with age

of course they can also probably afford the steak and lobster better than a med student or resident

My physician is slightly overweight yet never uses the elevators.

^ physicians are also older, and your metabolism decreases with age

of course they can also probably afford the steak and lobster better than a med student or resident

Yeah it's true. And younger people are of course more concerned with their physical outside appearances and how they look (especially for the opposite sex).

You will not be alone.

Many patients prefer a doc with a higher BMI when they're in the same postion, as they feel more comfortable/understood/less likely to be nagged constantly about a healthier weight.

Really? You would think the patient would find the doctor to be a hypocrite....telling the patient to lose weight, when they themselves are overweight

My physician is slightly overweight yet never uses the elevators.

I shadowed this doctor who ALWAYS used the stairs. We were literally running up and down most of the time. She was a super fit superwoman, though. If you really want to stay in shape, you'll find time or creative ways to do so.

I shadowed this doctor who ALWAYS used the stairs. We were literally running up and down most of the time. She was a super fit superwoman, though. If you really want to stay in shape, you'll find time or creative ways to do so.

Same here. He rarely ever used the elevators. He was forever walking up and down the stairs. And he was thin and very fit.

Though back on topic, I've seen very very few truly obese people at med schools I've visited. I have seen a fair number of older doctors who are at least mildly obese, however.

it has its pitfalls, but it is a good screening tool.

The doctor I work with does this as well! Even if we're going to the 8th floor. He does Ironman triathlons every so often. I can't seem to figure out when he has the time to train...maybe he doesn't sleep?

I'm morbidly obese, and have been so for much of my life. Other than finding scrubs and white coats this has not been a problem during med school, residency, or as an attending. As far as what my pts think, when I am admitting someone with an NSTEMI, or in DKA, or with a TIA/CVA, or the hundred other diagnoses I see, the last thing they care about is how much I weigh.

The doctor I work with does this as well! Even if we're going to the 8th floor. He does Ironman triathlons every so often. I can't seem to figure out when he has the time to train...maybe he doesn't sleep?

Maybe he moonlights as Chuck Norris!

I'm morbidly obese, and have been so for much of my life. Other than finding scrubs and white coats this has not been a problem during med school, residency, or as an attending. As far as what my pts think, when I am admitting someone with an NSTEMI, or in DKA, or with a TIA/CVA, or the hundred other diagnoses I see, the last thing they care about is how much I weigh.

likewise yourself, apparently.

I'm overweight, but just looking at me, especially in scrubs, you wouldn't notice. I'd have to lose 10-15 lbs to get my BMI under 25, but I honestly don't think I'll ever manage to reach the 'ideal' BMI of 22... I'd be a stick if I did that, and that certainly wouldn't look healthy. I'll never be skinny, but compare me to where I was 5 years ago and I look really, really thin.

So, I'm willing to bet that there are a lot more 'overweight' pre-meds and med students than the people in these forums are willing to admit to, or perhaps even notice.

the reasons for being interested in the gym location are many-fold. people tend to gain weight during medical school, so even if you didn't work out before, you may want to begin working out. exercise is also a stress reliever, and you bet medical school is stressful.
Oh I understand the love for gyms...I am one such gym junkie. I have been runnign 3 miles a day every day since Aug 28. Feeeeels goooood and I always feel happy.

True the gym is an excellent stress reliever. can you be addicted though? i notice if I miss a day I feel uneasy. My school has a nice gym so I know that I will still be able to go in med school, but is there a thing a too much gym?
Hello, my name is Tatastrophy and I am a work out addict.
I feel uneasy when I don't get my workout too. Cranky in fact.

Yep. worked in a hopital and during rounds it was up and down from 5 to 7 floor. Intense.

Really? You would think the patient would find the doctor to be a hypocrite....telling the patient to lose weight, when they themselves are overweight
So if you have a sport injury and can't exercise, you will stop recommending it? If you are a resident working 36 hour shifts, you won't tell patients they need proper rest? If you're too busy to eat regular meals you won't recommend healthy eating patterns and stress management? A physician doesn't need to be a picture postcard of perfection to make recommendations based on science. A little empathy about a patient's situation could make them more willing to listen to you, more likely to ask for help if they fail, and more likely to be happy with themselves if they're doing their best and still don't look like a super model because you're cheering them on.

[steps off soap box]

So if you have a sport injury and can't exercise, you will stop recommending it? If you are a resident working 36 hour shifts, you won't tell patients they need proper rest? If you're too busy to eat regular meals you won't recommend healthy eating patterns and stress management? A physician doesn't need to be a picture postcard of perfection to make recommendations based on science. A little empathy about a patient's situation could make them more willing to listen to you, more likely to ask for help if they fail, and more likely to be happy with themselves if they're doing their best and still don't look like a super model because you're cheering them on.

[steps off soap box]

All of the scenarios you mentioned aren't really comparable. Having a sports injury, working long shifts, etc. are things that are out of your control. Being overweight is not....

Additionally most patients ususally don't know if their doctor has had a sports injury, does not eat regular meals, or has worked a long time. Being overweight is much more evident.

I think calling fat physicians hypocrites is a little much, but I am curious what would make an obese physician get and stay that way. You get how bad obesity is for you pounded into your head throughout your training (and career, I'd assume) yet don't change your ways? That just seems weird to me.

This is not at all meant to be insensitive or offensive. I'm really wondering if there are overweight med students. I mean obviously there's going to be some, but how rare is it to see? Personally I haven't really met any overweight premeds.

The reason I ask is because I'm what you call "marginally overweight" as in I'm technically overweight but I'm not "fat" and I have a normal figure. Still, in a room full of skinny people I'm the biggest person. I'm planning to lose weight before med school and I'm just wondering if everyone in med school is skinny.

Is anyone else trying to lose weight before med school too? Do people trust overweight doctors?

I think the workout thread made me think about this.

I have a couple of very overweight friends that are now med students.

People trust Santa Claus, don't they?

[steps off soap box]

this reminds me of that scrubs episode when elliot tries to gain weight after dr. cox calls her a hypocrite

I didn't read all of the other post, shame on me.

Anyway, I have a good friend who is 6'10" and attended EVMS. I would consider him large, maybe not in the context of this post though.

I think calling fat physicians hypocrites is a little much, but I am curious what would make an obese physician get and stay that way. You get how bad obesity is for you pounded into your head throughout your training (and career, I'd assume) yet don't change your ways? That just seems weird to me.

It is weird. But food is so good.:D

I could stand to lose some weight.
I'm 6'3" and 225 lbs