Are there "tiers" to clinical experience? What makes clinical experience "strong"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1161197

Just trying to gauge what kinds of clinical experience I should be doing.

Currently, my clinical experience comes from being a patient sitter, so I get assigned to patients who need to be calmed down during minor procedures (i.e. placing a PICC line), assisting elderly patients with daily tasks, making sure patients don't pull at IVs, etc.

The feedback I've gotten is that I don't have enough hours (~200 hours) and that this is a "weak" clinical experience.

My question: are roles like EMT/CNA/Scribe etc necessarily "better" than what I have (or roles like patient transport, nursing home)? Can I continue being a sitter or should I do something else?

Also, is it the role that makes clinical experience "strong" or "standout" or is it the amount of hours you put into it?

Members don't see this ad.

Your experience is more significant than that of a scribe. 200 hours is adequate but not enough for some schools such as Rush, Georgetown, St. Louis, Creighton, Loyola and a few other schools. Also, applicants at top 30 schools usually have more hours.

Reactions: 4 users
Your experience is more significant than that of a scribe. 200 hours is adequate but not enough for some schools such as Rush, Georgetown, St. Louis, Creighton, Loyola and a few other schools. Also, applicants at top 30 schools usually have more hours.
Ah okay thanks, so it's a combination of more hours + what you did?

Out of curiosity, is there a point of diminishing returns in your opinion? I know service-oriented schools like hundreds and thousands of hours, but for others (i.e. T30), is there a threshold you cross to get from adequate to great, and then great to still just "great" (like having 600 hrs vs. 800 hrs)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it’s more about what you could talk about the experience than just the hours. More hours likely equals more experiences, more experiences more to talk about in your PS, activities and interview.

Reactions: 4 users
If the patient sitter is a part-time job, it does come across as a little strange that it was only for 200 hours (whether because you started very late or picked up only 1 shift a week).

I would say diminishing returns after the 1k mark (depending on the details of the role). If someone already is at say 600 or 800 hours though, it would not be an area I would tell them to focus on.

Reactions: 2 users
If the patient sitter is a part-time job, it does come across as a little strange that it was only for 200 hours (whether because you started very late or picked up only 1 shift a week).

I would say diminishing returns after the 1k mark (depending on the details of the role). If someone already is at say 600 or 800 hours though, it would not be an area I would tell them to focus on.
Understood thank you, unfortunately I did start that job per diem 5 months at around 1-2 shifts per work before applying, which is why the hours are so low. It definitely contributed to why I am now a reapplicant.

You and your colleagues are going to hate this question, but is there an hour "mark" I should be aiming for to be competitive, or does it lie primarily in how I write about it? I'm wondering if there's an implicit range I have to get into to assure admissions that I know what the clinical environment is like.

Understood thank you, unfortunately I did start that job per diem 5 months at around 1-2 shifts per work before applying, which is why the hours are so low. It definitely contributed to why I am now a reapplicant.

You and your colleagues are going to hate this question, but is there an hour "mark" I should be aiming for to be competitive, or does it lie primarily in how I write about it? I'm wondering if there's an implicit range I have to get into to assure admissions that I know what the clinical environment is like.
Did you keep doing it during this past year? Where are you at now?

I think this is a perfectly fine clinical experience. The number of hours is the minimum acceptable. I would say a solid applicant has ~500, and plenty of applicants have 1000+ which is probably the point of diminishing returns. I would also make sure you get some clinical experience in other care settings besides the hospital (do some shadowing in various specialties, free clinic, MA, hospice, etc.) And make sure you have some experience either through clinical experience or non-clinical volunteering with underserved patient populations.

Reactions: 1 users
Every experience offers unique perspectives. It's up to you to determine if you have found enough to make a convincing argument as to why to be a doctor.

Having lead in a possible life or death situation? Wondering if you are competent enough of a provider? Crisis line.

Understanding the day to day grind of hospitals and their problems? The immense pressures and difficulties societal issues on healthcare? General Tech / ED

What physocians actually go through? The crazy time constraints and expectations? How getting a dx is not a simple process? Scribe.

Physically caring for patients? Dirty jobs are just as important? Knowing that treatment is more than pills? 100 other things? Nursing assistant.

I ran out of brain power for EMT et al., but you get the idea. Obviously there is overlap but everyplace will have a certain focus, even if I didn't do a good job describing them here.

Last edited:
Did you keep doing it during this past year? Where are you at now?
Unfortunately I did neglect to continue it when applying, so I only have the 200 hours. I moved back home when I was applying, so I am looking at the local hospital to see what they offer. Do you think I should diversify the experience a bit?

Why do you think it is a weak experience? 200 hours is fine for this activity. Who gave you this advice?
My premed advisor said that it was one of the most "passive" activities as far as clinical experience goes, she was very adamant that I needed to be more in the "weeds of it", as she said. However, I also am a bit skeptical of her advice, she also told me the MCAT was scored out of 530, so there's that lol.

Regardless, what do you think? Would it be worth pursuing something else that is more hands on?

My premed advisor said that it was one of the most "passive" activities as far as clinical experience goes, she was very adamant that I needed to be more in the "weeds of it", as she said. However, I also am a bit skeptical of her advice, she also told me the MCAT was scored out of 530, so there's that lol.

Regardless, what do you think? Would it be worth pursuing something else that is more hands on?
But don't you get to be close to the patient as you check? I'm not sure I agree with this.

Yes, it's always better to be more "active" but there are limits if you aren't trained.

But don't you get to be close to the patient as you check? I'm not sure I agree with this.

Yes, it's always better to be more "active" but there are limits if you aren't trained.
Yea, I'm always within like a foot of the patient, I'll probably disregard her advice on this.

Unfortunately I did neglect to continue it when applying, so I only have the 200 hours. I moved back home when I was applying, so I am looking at the local hospital to see what they offer. Do you think I should diversify the experience a bit?
If they have similar positions at the local hospital, you should take those. I would prefer you get to around a total 400-500 hours (so doubling the hours you’ve already done).

Just trying to gauge what kinds of clinical experience I should be doing.

Currently, my clinical experience comes from being a patient sitter, so I get assigned to patients who need to be calmed down during minor procedures (i.e. placing a PICC line), assisting elderly patients with daily tasks, making sure patients don't pull at IVs, etc.

The feedback I've gotten is that I don't have enough hours (~200 hours) and that this is a "weak" clinical experience.

My question: are roles like EMT/CNA/Scribe etc necessarily "better" than what I have (or roles like patient transport, nursing home)? Can I continue being a sitter or should I do something else?

Also, is it the role that makes clinical experience "strong" or "standout" or is it the amount of hours you put into it?
What makes an experience stand out is the responsibility you assume via the activity and the meaning and lessons you ascribe to having participated in a specific activity. In terms of the responsibility, most pre-meds don't have a lot of clinical responsibility because they don't have training. However schools do want to see that your experience is familiarizing you with what physicians do and the challenges the face in caring for patients. Has your patient sitting given you that perspective?