Are there less theory things in PTA school than PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkilft999

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm an immigrant from Taiwan who just keeps worrying about my English ability. I was thinking about applying to MOT, because I have got my BS degree in another field and MOT only takes 2 years to get a MS degree. But then there is a Taiwanese OT suggesting me the PT/PTA route, especially the PTA route. She said that OT program has more theory things( she didn't make it clear, but I just think it is because of psychology things in OT domain), although it is also different from school to school. She also underscored that her boyfriend is in the PTA program and her sister finished the program, she said the PTA program takes less time and more practical things than reading which will be easier for me to adapt.

In the beginning, I just heard that there is almost no difference between DPT and PTA, except the salary and how long you will need to spend on the school. ( I mean the difficulty of studying, and what she said just surprised me.)

I'm thinking to go to PTA school first and then go to work for a while and when my English is good enough for massive reading and writing, I can go to apply for PT schools. My target is Texas. ( I knew everybody doesn't encourage to do this for normal people, but if what she said is true, maybe this is the best route for me?)

By the way, I have heard a PT saying that when he was in the program, he needed to read about 800 pages per week and other works, I think now maybe I can read 80?...I used to study for 4~6 hours every day and had straight A in university's major, but if it goes on English, I don't have confidence.

Thank you for reading, could you give me an advice?

Members don't see this ad.