Are there really too many O.D.s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I graduated with a dual major in marketing and public relations.. .
Then I can't believe you didn't recognize that almost everything the new schools tout as making them superior is all marketing hype

Sure, I could have gone off with the popular kids, but why not try something new? It's all education, and in the end the board exams will separate the talkers from the doers
I'm using this quote for the pre-opt club I sponsor.

Classic example of not thinking with your head to make one of the biggest decisions you'll make.

Members don't see this ad.

His statements shouldn't suprise us should it? A guy with a 3.8 undergrad GPA -who knows where from doesn't think. It's all book knowledge, memorization and throw back facts. But when you ask them a simple straight question, can't answer it.

I'm not moking the guy. I actually feel sorry for him and hundreds of others entering Optometry school nowadays. He will realize one day down the road.

Ignorance is bliss.............................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What are you talking about? "The AOA has limited power to affect the opening of new schools. They could have done nothing to stop them." You are absolutely wrong on this!
The new Presidents, the new Deans, the board members of the new optometry chools past 4-years are ODs who have been associated with the AOA - as members - Secretary, Past AOA Presidents, etc.......They are all interconnected. Like teamsters mob unit.

Think logically. L. Walls, OD, MD have nothing against our colleague has been President, and Dean of how many past OD schools? Research how many faculty on the new schools now have sat on the AOA.

They could very well have done alot NOT to open up these new schools. Again, it's all about the MONEY regardless of how many practicing ODs they affect- livelihood.

Specifically, what would you have had them do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in any position to tell them what they should have done to keep these schools from not opening. They know what should have been done like anything else if they want to, they go after it. They are supposeably our leaders of our profession.
You actually believe yourself that they couldn't have done anything to stop them?

I find it insulting that I am a 3.90 GPA student involved in AOSA, Beta Sigma Kappa, NORA, and COVD, <these are mostly voluntary clubs, not accomplishments> excelling at school, providing patient care at clinic as a second year, and you presume I'm at the "bottom of the barrel & shouldn't have gotten into ANY school" because I go to WesternU.

There is an oversaturation of O.D.s, but not uniformly across the country.
I think you'll find yourself the vicitim of a bad decision more than once.

Look at the at the entering stats of each of the new schools, the fact that they have no track record, still not accredited, no alumni support, no established externship sites, and are despised (unwarranted or not) by many OD's who think they should not exist.

All reasons that a smart choice is to go with an established program if accepted there.
Many of your classmates probably had no other choice (other than Puerto Rico), so you're going to be lumped in with them whether you like it or not.

Western & most of the others were started by non-OD's, not based on need, but schools looking to increase profit or prestige.

Think there's a lot of OD's who resent your school now? Wait a few years until there's a few thousand who can't find a job because of oversaturation.

Fatal mistake made by many who have gone before you.

Very true. I had at least 2 people in my class that were "set" on a job before they even started school. At least in their own mind. Neither actually happened. Actually, it's a very rare occurance. Not saying it can't happen. But chances are, this guy is being played. They will play with his mind for as long as they can sucker him into working for cheap.

Just found out there is a 27% Medicare decrease across the board for Jan 1st. Unlikely to be fixed this time. My practice is 50% Medicare. Of course every other insurance plan follows Medicare's lead.

I already can't get any of my Medicare patients in to see a family docs or internists. They don't accept new MCR patients. I hate the thought of getting older.

I imagine in 40 years I'll be having open heart surgery by a nursing assistant from the local community college.

But wait, there is light at the end of the tunnel, BCBS has approved a $0.01 increase in my fee schedule for 2013. Whew! I was worried for a minute. Par-ty!!:p

I've been reading a lot about disgruntled students and O.D.s about there being an oversaturated market. Is this REALLY accurate or are we just complaining because we can't get that perfect job in the one particular area of the country we wanted to live? (e.g. California, or a major metro area)

I'm looking at Pacific College of Optometry and I love the Pacific Northwest. Between Oregon and Washington that is the only Optometry school, so am I really going to struggle finding a job between two states that has one school between them?

I realize that working in a private practice with an Ophthalmologist doing largely medical exams (diabetic retinopathy, cataracts, macular degeneration, etc.) rather than pushing glasses and contact lens fitting might be few and far between. But aren't there other areas/ specialties growing? (e.g. vision therapy, sports vision, working alongside an OT even with vision therapy, etc.)

Guess what? You aren't the only person out there that loves the Pacific Northwest. I went to PUCO and graduated 4 years ago and just this year I found a quality full time position in Oregon. Before that I was working fill in, and then part time between 2-3 different practices.

You will be able to find work, but you will have to spend some time in the dirty to get a job.

Just found out there is a 27% Medicare decrease across the board for Jan 1st. Unlikely to be fixed this time.

That's ok, we doctors are already well overpaid, money-hungry, wealthy, elites anyway, right? Obama called me last night, though, and told me he actually saving me money. He explained the whole thing. See, doctors are already paid about 3x as much as we're supposed to make, so really, only cutting our income by 27% is actually a considerable savings since we're still making over 200% more than we should be making. Needless to say, I was relieved.

Well, I've got to go pick up my Lambo from the shop - I had it shipped to Italy to have a new engine installed. The puny factory 500hp thing was far too weak, so I'm going with a 750hp monster that runs on liquid helium. It's about $80 per gallon, but Obama promises it's worth it since he and Steven Chu are working on getting gas prices to $100/gallon asap. Needless to say, I'm excited.

I was also considering the world's first, solid gold, 6 speed racing transmission, but I think it may be a bit out of my price range. I ran it by Barry and I was pleased to hear he fully endorsed the project. I said, "But Mr. President, I don't have the money to buy a solid gold, 6 speed racing transmission for my Lamborghini," but he said, "No worries, dog, if there's one thing that a career in government has taught me, it's that not having the money should never stop you from buying something you want. Heck, Bush did it, so I can too, baby!" Then Michelle came in the room and I could hear her screaming at the maids about not delivering the caviar at the right temperature. We were going to continue the conversation, but Barry said he really needed a good smoke break. Apparently, all the golf has really been stressing him out.

Jason, you're not nearly as clever as you think...

Jason, you're not nearly as clever as you think...

I know it's unusual to see jabs taken at our messiah on the internet. Get used to it, as we continue to plummet into economic oblivion, people will start to come out of their Obama freebie high and see what's been in front of them all along.

.....also, I don't remember telling anyone I thought I was "clever."

I know it's unusual to see jabs taken at our messiah on the internet. Get used to it, as we continue to plummet into economic oblivion, people will start to come out of their Obama freebie high and see what's been in front of them all along.

.....also, I don't remember telling anyone I thought I was "clever."

As one from the ‘outside, I often read the optometry forums for infotainment, and because I like the debates that inevitably take place. I have no knowledge on the optometry profession (other than what I’ve read on these forums), so I usually don’t add anything. But I just have to chime in here…

Jason K, you probably have valid points to make about the state of optometry (as would almost anyone who has worked in the field for a time). You have said before that your aim is to get your message across to those who haven’t made up their minds yet; assuming this is true (which it probably is):

Why do you make such hyperbolic statements (both about optometry, and politics)? I understand venting, and I get that this is the internet, but if your aim is to attract positive attention, then surely you’re aware that these kind of statements (you will be working at Walmart for life, and your boss will be a cokehead… people who vote for Obama are lazy potheads…) alienate many people, many who would’ve otherwise benefited from what’s at least partially valid advice.

Before you start on the whole “You’re just a snot-nosed student who doesn’t know anything about life”: It doesn’t take a professional degree to understand basic debating skills, and about what turns (many) people off to even a valid message.

As one from the ‘outside, I often read the optometry forums for infotainment, and because I like the debates that inevitably take place. I have no knowledge on the optometry profession (other than what I’ve read on these forums), so I usually don’t add anything. But I just have to chime in here…

Jason K, you probably have valid points to make about the state of optometry (as would almost anyone who has worked in the field for a time). You have said before that your aim is to get your message across to those who haven’t made up their minds yet; assuming this is true (which it probably is):

Why do you make such hyperbolic statements (both about optometry, and politics)? I understand venting, and I get that this is the internet, but if your aim is to attract positive attention, then surely you’re aware that these kind of statements (you will be working at Walmart for life, and your boss will be a cokehead… people who vote for Obama are lazy potheads…) alienate many people, many who would’ve otherwise benefited from what’s at least partially valid advice.

Before you start on the whole “You’re just a snot-nosed student who doesn’t know anything about life”: It doesn’t take a professional degree to understand basic debating skills, and about what turns (many) people off to even a valid message.

Most people don't take Jason K seriously. Of course we've only had a tiny peak into who he is via internet discussion, but judged on that alone, he reminds me of Glenn Beck.

I understand venting, and I get that this is the internet, but if your aim is to attract positive attention, then surely you're aware that these kind of statements (you will be working at Walmart for life, and your boss will be a cokehead&#8230; people who vote for Obama are lazy potheads&#8230;) alienate many people, many who would've otherwise benefited from what's at least partially valid advice.

I'm really not concerned with the type of "attention" I get on here. This is not a popularity contest. If it were, I'd have left a long time ago. In case you haven't noticed, most people on here don't want to hear what I have to say. Some do - they're the ones I'm talking to.

Also, please show me where I said people who work for Obama are "lazy potheads." On the contrary, those little trained circus animals worked tirelessly to get him re-elected, and their misdirected efforts paid off (in the short term). Most potheads went for Gary.

His statements shouldn't suprise us should it? A guy with a 3.8 undergrad GPA -who knows where from doesn't think. It's all book knowledge, memorization and throw back facts. But when you ask them a simple straight question, can't answer it.

I'm not moking the guy. I actually feel sorry for him and hundreds of others entering Optometry school nowadays. He will realize one day down the road.

Ignorance is bliss.............................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

+1. They have no idea what they signed up for :scared:

Good doctors are successful because of their patients. Patients don't leave doctors who fulfill their needs. Starting a new private practice obviously has its difficulties, but there are many avenues for eye doctors and it doesn't end at Wal Mart or Lens Crafters.

Sorry to say but you're are clueless. You'll look back and eat these words, guaranteed. But on the bright side, you may be lucky enough to land a commercial gig at one of the big boxes if you're fortunate enough. The big companies won't care where you went to school, just as long as you can recommend A/R, transitions and polycarb; trust me you'll be a star kid! :idea:

So, now that I'm optometry school, I'm starting to see some of the problems with the profession (I don't know how much of this forum overlaps, but I have a thread in Pre-opt). Anyway, my school constantly tells us that the job market is really growing and that more and more optometrists will be needed. They tell us that the optometric industry is worth a ton of money and that we will make good money. Obviously, I question this. But what I'm wondering is: Can these schools just blatantly lie? Or are they finding little loopholes that actually make the market seem better? I mean, since these schools are businesses, how they can they lie about the job market?

So, now that I'm optometry school, I'm starting to see some of the problems with the profession (I don't know how much of this forum overlaps, but I have a thread in Pre-opt). Anyway, my school constantly tells us that the job market is really growing and that more and more optometrists will be needed. They tell us that the optometric industry is worth a ton of money and that we will make good money. Obviously, I question this. But what I'm wondering is: Can these schools just blatantly lie? Or are they finding little loopholes that actually make the market seem better? I mean, since these schools are businesses, how they can they lie about the job market?

I think in the vast majority of cases, the school is not lying. They are just true believers. They really firmly believe in the coming optometric nirvana whether it's because of an aging population, obamacare, and increase in diabetes, whatever.....whatever the reason is, they truly believe.

So they are more delusional than liars. :laugh:

I think in the vast majority of cases, the school is not lying. They are just true believers. They really firmly believe in the coming optometric nirvana whether it's because of an aging population, obamacare, and increase in diabetes, whatever.....whatever the reason is, they truly believe.

So they are more delusional than liars. :laugh:

there's a fine line in there somewhere :rolleyes: