Are there schools that calculate your GPA without freshman year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maydaymalone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that there are schools (I may have heard BU, I think) that calculate your GPA based on your junior and senior year only? Is this true?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that there are schools (I may have heard BU, I think) that calculate your GPA based on your junior and senior year only? Is this true?
Thanks

I believe Wayne State takes your last 60 credit hours

so does this mean that if your 3.4-3.5 freshman sophomore year is actually a 4.0 (given my last 60 credits was a 4.0)? I hope I am thinking about this right?

Members don't see this ad :)
See, I had always thought schools just see the breakdown of cGPA/sGPA/aoGPA based on each year of classes. I never heard of any schools only using the last two years or so.

Reactions: 1 user
so does this mean that if your 3.4-3.5 freshman sophomore year is actually a 4.0 (given my last 60 credits was a 4.0)? I hope I am thinking about this right?

If your last 60 credits was a 4.0 I believe Wayne State would calculate your GPA as a 4.0 for their admission purposes.

I believe Wayne State takes your last 60 credit hours
Really? All I heard from Wayne State was that if you had a low gpa and did a postbacc of at least 20 credits, they would substitute your postbacc GPA in for your cumulative.

Wayne State, MSU, and LSU-New Orleans will take only your most recent 32 credits into account. They have info about this on their websites. MSU and LSU likely aren't worth applying to unless you are IS.

I thought BU was one too, but either I was wrong or they have changed their policy.

Wayne State, MSU, and LSU-New Orleans will take only your most recent 32 credits into account. They have info about this on their websites. MSU and LSU likely aren't worth applying to unless you are IS.

I thought BU was one too, but either I was wrong or they have changed their policy.
Any sort of links? Because I searched for exactly this sort of information when I was applying (it's very relevant to my background) and never saw that on Wayne State's website, and still can't find it. All I found was their postbacc gpa replacement policy.

Edit: @gonnif beat me to it. Thanks, gonnif!

LSU:

https://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/admissions/Requirements.aspx

The 32-Hour Policy
As part of the medical school application process, an applicant may be encouraged or required to take additional coursework after completion of his/her undergraduate studies. The reasons for additional coursework may include a non-competitive undergraduate grade point average (GPA), a need for continued expansion of an applicant's basic science knowledge base, or an excessive time lapse between previous science coursework and medical school application. For those applicants who may need significant improvement in their science GPA, the LSU-New Orleans Medical School Admissions Committee has what is commonly referred to as the 32-Hour Policy.

The 32-Hour Policy was a policy adopted by the LSU-New Orleans Admissions Committee many years ago. This policy allows for an applicant to obtain 32 or more post-baccalaureate hours of coursework in biology, chemistry, physics or mathematics. The admissions committee would then consider the GPA for those 32 or more hours to be that applicant’s GPA for the medical school application process. This policy allows for those applicants to distance themselves from a weaker undergraduate GPA which may otherwise hinder them from gaining acceptance into our medical school.

Post-baccalaureate studies in a degree program (Master’s, Ph.D, etc.) in biology, chemistry, physics or mathematics would satisfy the 32 Hour Policy “if” such programs allowed the applicant to attain the required 32 hours of coursework.

This one appears to only apply to post-baccs/graduate programs. Not sure if an upward trend would count. Might actually be worth asking their office about that.

If you are a Washington Resident University of Washington has a weighted GPA policy where Freshmen grades account for only 1/6 of the calculation.

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/md-program/admissions/faqs/gpa-and-mcat

"The undergraduate GPA is weighted to give credit to applicants whose records show improvement as they progress through their undergraduate studies. Only the first three years are included in this calculation as most applicants have just begun their senior year. The weighted GPA is calculated on a standard 4-point scale with 4.00 representing an "A" average.
CUM. Freshman GPA x 1 = A
CUM. Sophomore GPA x 2 = B
CUM. Junior GPA x 3 = C

(A+B+C)/6 = Weighted GPA

An initial automated screening is done of all applications. The WGPA is added to the mean MCAT score converted to a 4.0 scale so that the maximal "Combined score" =8. If this combined score is less than 5, the application is automatically screened out. If your application falls into this category, but you have subsequently taken additional coursework and have a stronger subsequent GPA, you may be eligible for reconsideration. Please contact our office for more information".

"The weighted GPA only includes the first 3 years of college and is most useful as an initial automated screening tool. Subsequent grades are taken into consideration when manual screening is done. If you are screened out immediately and have a low initial GPA, but subsequent better grades, please let our office know."

I guess I misunderstood the question. My first thought was that MIT doesn't have freshman grades and so the GPA is based solely in sophomore, junior and senior year. :)

I guess I misunderstood the question. My first thought was that MIT doesn't have freshman grades and so the GPA is based solely in sophomore, junior and senior year. :)
Lol, I would have loved to see OP's face if you'd recommended he look into attending MIT (for med school)! :boom:

(Content redacted to preserve anonymity)

Last edited: