Bad freshman grades Cornell!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SS2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a premed major and I got bad grades first semester in Cornell.

Bio 1440 - B
Chem 2070 - C+
English 1168 - A
Intro to Public Health - A

Is my chance at medical school jeopardized? I'm planning on taking the following science courses in the spring semester.

BIOMG 1350
CHEM 2080

What strategies can I employ to secure top grades in the above classes next semester at Cornell?

Members don't see this ad.

Bio 1440 - B
Chem 2070 - C+
English 1168 - A

Is my chance at medical school jeopardized? I'm planning on taking the following science courses in the spring semester.

BIOMG 1350
CHEM 2080

What strategies can I employ to secure top grades in the above classes next semester at Cornell?’
no, one B and one C+ won’t jeopardize. Why do you think you got those grades in weed out classes? Did you check out how grading is in those two courses you are planning? Cornell is known for grade deflation.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What strategies can I employ to secure top grades in the above classes next semester at Cornell?
You need to tell us what you did do. Study groups? Practice questions? Office hours for TA or instructors? Time management?

Ask your learning services team or science department. Your prehealth advising office should be helpful.

Bio 1440 - B
Chem 2070 - C+
English 1168 - A

BIOMG 1350
CHEM 2080

A mediocre first semester won't jeopardize your med school chances. However, you do need to figure out what went wrong as to avoid further mediocre grades. Just my thoughts.

• Love
For anecdotal evidence it'll all be okay:

I went to Cornell too. My first semester I got a D in 1440, C+ in 2070 and then a C- in Calc. I didn't start doing well in classes until my Junior fall/spring for a number of reasons, but that still doesn't excuse the performance. I ended up being okay after many gap years, but it was an uphill battle because of those first few semesters.

The biggest advice I have is Cornell is hard, but you gotta do some introspection into why you didn't do as well as you wanted this past semester. Even if you pull in the B+/A- range this semester, if you're able to get great grades in the higher division science courses (orgo, anatomy, biochem, etc.) later on it'll all be okay.

Use this as a learning opportunity to figure out what works for you. My advice is to study to learn and fall in love with the material, not to get good grades. That's what worked for me.

P.S. Enjoy Ithaca and don't let becoming a doctor take away from your time there, it goes by fast

Reactions: 5 users
You need to tell us what you did do. Study groups? Practice questions? Office hours for TA or instructors? Time management?

Ask your learning services team or science department. Your prehealth advising office should be helpful.
I missed the prelim 1 for chem 2070 because I was sick. I had prepared for that exam and most of my classmates got an A or A+. The TA’s assisted with prelim1 better than prelim2.
I did the support classes and all the problem sets but the prelim2 and final questions were harder.
Also we had a new professor for chem 2070 who had not taught this class before.

Reactions: 1 user

Bio 1440 - B
Chem 2070 - C+
English 1168 - A

BIOMG 1350
CHEM 2080

If your goal is 100% pre med, I think you should heavily consider being at Cornell. I know I may get a lot of pushback here, but I was accepted to another Ivy as a transfer student known for grade deflation and I decided not to go ultimately and it was the best decision I ever made because of my gpa.
If I were you I’d transfer to an easier school, spend way less time getting A’s so you can spend more time doing research and interesting extra currics.

Reactions: 3 users
Keep using the resources, and find out what your peers are doing to study and do well on exams (as long as it's appropriately ethical, no cheating conspiracies please).

So here's an unusual take. I went to a public school that has a traditionally challenging premed programme and I had similar grades as you (actually worse).

2.3 in calc
3.3 in ethics
3.1 in chem

I think on the AAMC converter, I think its about the same if not worse than yours. I was an ORM in a state with many premeds, and only one medical school in our state, and didn't have any medical connections nor did I qualify for any special programs.

Still got into a T20 medical school. The grades didn't keep me out of med school, instead reflections and growth from setbacks in life (including in the classroom) got me accepted to med school.

So, I would say the rationale to bail on cornell does make sense, but honestly it is not impossible to get into medical school even with your situation. Its all about what you do from here going forward, that will make or break you.