Are there schools that specifically want GRE Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hobose

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing through the schools listed on the VMCAS descriptor page, and I see most schools ask for just the GRE. I assume this means the general test. Are there any schools out there that ask specifically for the GRE biology subject test?

Members don't see this ad.

No schools that I’m aware of want GRE subject tests. If you were going to go do a PhD in biology or maybe even a masters, they’d want the subject test, but afaik vet schools don’t want that. Just take the general GRE and you’ll be fine. A couple of vet schools don’t even require the gre at all anymore either.

Reactions: 1 user
No schools that I’m aware of want GRE subject tests. If you were going to go do a PhD in biology or maybe even a masters, they’d want the subject test, but afaik vet schools don’t want that. Just take the general GRE and you’ll be fine. A couple of vet schools don’t even require the gre at all anymore either.
Agreed

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To add to what has been said, some schools will take scores for like the MCAT, GRE Bio but they will not *help* you even if you do well. If anytbing should you do poorly, it can reflect badly.

Reactions: 2 users
I am planning to apply for a Biomedical Science masters, do schools prefer more the Subject Biology GRE or it has the same importance as the general one?

Also do they see the score equally as a 150 on the general has the same weight as a 150 on the subject GRE?

Anyone has any idea on this?

I am planning to apply for a Biomedical Science masters, do schools prefer more the Subject Biology GRE or it has the same importance as the general one?

Also do they see the score equally as a 150 on the general has the same weight as a 150 on the subject GRE?

Anyone has any idea on this?

I don't know that anyone in here would specifically know the answer to this. I can tell you that the exams are VERY different and are in no way interchangeable in that sense. I have taken both... applied way back when my in-state school did want the bio GRE.

I'd ask the program admissions if in doubt.

I don't know that anyone in here would specifically know the answer to this. I can tell you that the exams are VERY different and are in no way interchangeable in that sense. I have taken both... applied way back when my in-state school did want the bio GRE.

I'd ask the program admissions if in doubt.

I just asked them and they said it would be considered the same and they just look at the exam score regardless if it is general or subject.

I am scheduled to take the subject GRE tomorrow and currently scoring around 50% on the practice test. I was thinking to reschedule and take the general one which might be easier? Since you have taken both of them, what is your opinion on the difficulty level for each test?
Thank you

I mean, I like biology better, but I still think the biology GRE was harder (for me... like 10 years ago...)

If you have spent time preparing for one already, I'd take the one you prepared for. They both require studying to do your best.