Are these experiences considered clinical?

Started by taco.cat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

taco.cat

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to ask this question for the millionth time but I genuinely could not find a clear answer by looking through old SDN posts/google.

Would being a Special Olympics volunteer be considered clinical experience?
What about painting residents' nails at a nursing home?

Disclaimer: I am not trying to "spin" these into clinical experience. I think I have a good spread between clinical and non-clinical experience but I just want to make sure I am categorizing these correctly. I've read numerous times on SDN that its clinical if you can smell the patient... before reading that rule I was planning on listing these experiences as non-clinical volunteering.
 
Special Olympics volunteer: no

Painting resident's nails? Possibly, but unsure. If you go by the @LizzyM criteria of if you can smell the patient, it's clinical, then it looks like yes; however, I think this is more comparable to being the person who delivers flowers to patient rooms, which I would think would be less clinical than scribing, volunteering in a patient support role, or doing hospice. I think that if I was applying with this experience, I would personally list it as non-clinical volunteering, but you may get other answers for those more familiar with this type of work.
 
Special Olympics volunteer: no

Painting resident's nails? Possibly, but unsure. If you go by the @LizzyM criteria of if you can smell the patient, it's clinical, then it looks like yes; however, I think this is more comparable to being the person who delivers flowers to patient rooms, which I would think would be less clinical than scribing, volunteering in a patient support role, or doing hospice. I think that if I was applying with this experience, I would personally list it as non-clinical volunteering, but you may get other answers for those more familiar with this type of work.


Thanks. My gut is to go with listing them both as non-clinical but my application neuroticism thought it deemed some SDN advice :prof:.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am sure you can do more stuff at the nursing home than just paint nails. Maybe ask some nurses if you can shadow them for a few hours. Think of other ideas and this can be classified as a clinical experience.
 
Last edited: