Are These Study Materials/Methods Sufficient? I don't have much money to spend.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zahiradams17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My DAT exam is scheduled for August 16th, 2019 and I started studying 3 weeks ago. I will be a senior in college this coming fall so I will be applying to dental schools this cycle once I complete my exam. I just had some things that I wanted advice on.

1. So, I come from a not so well off family and I needed to try to find the cheapest way to prepare for this exam. I heard great things about bootcamp and I really wanted to get it but I honestly can't afford it. So do you think this study method/materials are sufficient? Bio: Reading AP Cliff notes 3rd edition and taking notes and using feralis notes to supplement any gaps like the physiology section of Cliffs. OChem and Gen Chem: Chads Coursesaver DAT videos. QR: Chads Coursesaver DAT videos and Khan academy QR videos. RC: Just reading two science articles daily. PAT: PAT Booster to learn how to approach this section. For practice using DAT destroyer and Math Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp Free Full Length exam, 2007 ADA exam, Free Kaplan Exam, Free Princeton Review Exam, Free DAT Genius Exam and Two AP Cliff Notes Bio Exams. This all equates to about $380.

2. Studying for bio scares me since Cliff AP is short on things and I wanted to use Feralis to supplement but DAT Bootcamp notes has things that neither of the other two cover.

3. Do you think me not officially applying to schools until after I get my DAT scores back when I take the DAT August 16th is a disadvantage?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) I was really confused. I was about to tell you to just use DAT Bootcamp, but I was unaware of how much they increased their prices. Like... really? I took the DAT summer of 2018 and I bought Bootcamp TWICE for a total of 340 dollars. And now theyre charging 500?? insane. Here is my rudimentary suggestion for materials
Chem: Chads Videos... 50 bucks on course saver and cover BOTH Ochem and Gchem
Bio: AP Cliffs 3rd edition and Feralis was perfect for everything I needed.
Math: I just watched Khan Academy and practiced in Destroyer
PAT: I guess PAT booster is fine
RC: didnt really prep too much just tried to find a good strategy (I used paragraph mapping)
In all, i think you should go rely on destroyer for your study question needs. Im still really shocked at how much bootcamp was, even though it truly is one of the most helpful resources I had.

2) Cliff and Feralis was enough don't stress about it.

3)Definitely try and submit your application FIRST! I submitted my app early July and took my DAT July 30th, so my application was all processed before I even received my DAT scores.

1) I was really confused. I was about to tell you to just use DAT Bootcamp, but I was unaware of how much they increased their prices. Like... really? I took the DAT summer of 2018 and I bought Bootcamp TWICE for a total of 340 dollars. And now theyre charging 500?? insane. Here is my rudimentary suggestion for materials
Chem: Chads Videos... 50 bucks on course saver and cover BOTH Ochem and Gchem
Bio: AP Cliffs 3rd edition and Feralis was perfect for everything I needed.
Math: I just watched Khan Academy and practiced in Destroyer
PAT: I guess PAT booster is fine
RC: didnt really prep too much just tried to find a good strategy (I used paragraph mapping)
In all, i think you should go rely on destroyer for your study question needs. Im still really shocked at how much bootcamp was, even though it truly is one of the most helpful resources I had.

2) Cliff and Feralis was enough don't stress about it.

3)Definitely try and submit your application FIRST! I submitted my app early July and took my DAT July 30th, so my application was all processed before I even received my DAT scores.

So schools still look at your application even if your DAT scores are not in there yet? And by submitted you mean you submitted your ADEASAS application as well as your secondary application and fees? What do you mean by submitted?

Schools will start processing your application before your DAT scores come in, but they won't review them. So everything will be set until your DAT scores come in. By submit, I mean I literally pressed the submit button. The secondary fees and all the other paperwork, I took care of as soon as possible(July-August)

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools will start processing your application before your DAT scores come in, but they won't review them. So everything will be set until your DAT scores come in. By submit, I mean I literally pressed the submit button. The secondary fees and all the other paperwork, I took care of as soon as possible(July-August)

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

My DAT exam is scheduled for August 16th, 2019 and I started studying 3 weeks ago. I will be a senior in college this coming fall so I will be applying to dental schools this cycle once I complete my exam. I just had some things that I wanted advice on.

1. So, I come from a not so well off family and I needed to try to find the cheapest way to prepare for this exam. I heard great things about bootcamp and I really wanted to get it but I honestly can't afford it. So do you think this study method/materials are sufficient? Bio: Reading AP Cliff notes 3rd edition and taking notes and using feralis notes to supplement any gaps like the physiology section of Cliffs. OChem and Gen Chem: Chads Coursesaver DAT videos. QR: Chads Coursesaver DAT videos and Khan academy QR videos. RC: Just reading two science articles daily. PAT: PAT Booster to learn how to approach this section. For practice using DAT destroyer and Math Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp Free Full Length exam, 2007 ADA exam, Free Kaplan Exam, Free Princeton Review Exam, Free DAT Genius Exam and Two AP Cliff Notes Bio Exams. This all equates to about $380.

2. Studying for bio scares me since Cliff AP is short on things and I wanted to use Feralis to supplement but DAT Bootcamp notes has things that neither of the other two cover.

3. Do you think me not officially applying to schools until after I get my DAT scores back when I take the DAT August 16th is a disadvantage?

Thank you.

In my opinion you're very smart for not purchasing Bootcamp! Good grief that price is steep for the product that you are getting.

To answer your question I think that the study items you listed will be fine. However, you should look into Dr. Romano's Dynamite Bio Review because its FREE! It also has awesome pictures and is written in a very easy to understand way while cutting out a lot of the BS. I used it exclusively for my test and got a 22 on the Bio section. If you join his Facebook group you can download it there. Make sure to go through the destroyer several times ad learn the concepts. You'll be fine if you go that route!