Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a nontraditional applicant in my mid-late twenties. I'm in the penultimate stages of my post-bacc program and preparing to finally apply this cycle (woohoo!). My situation is a bit unique in that I can only really consider vet schools in areas where my husband could find work in his field since his salary is going to be funding my tuition. There are about 3-4 vet schools that are both a great fit for me and fall within these parameters, and about 3-4 more that could work, but aren't ideal for our situation.
Our current plan is for me to apply to only those 3-4 "ideal" vet schools (one of which is my IS) this cycle. They're very good schools and I will likely be a strong candidate, but not a shoo-in. If I don't get into any of those I will reapply to the full cadre of 7-8 the following year. My rationale is that if I only got into one of those "less ideal" (for us) schools this cycle, I wouldn't want to decline an offer in order to be able to reapply to my top choices.
From past threads this doesn't seem to be a terribly uncommon strategy, but I'm worried about shooting myself in the foot by putting myself in a situation where I may very well need to reapply. Waiting another year would be ok for us, and I would use the intervening year to continue to strengthen my application, but my pre-health advisor (who, FWIW, advises pre-meds 90% of the time) is of the opinion that reapplicants are at a serious disadvantage and my application strategy should be "one-and-done." Is that really true for vet applicants? Is mine a shoddy strategy?
Thanks for your feedback!
Our current plan is for me to apply to only those 3-4 "ideal" vet schools (one of which is my IS) this cycle. They're very good schools and I will likely be a strong candidate, but not a shoo-in. If I don't get into any of those I will reapply to the full cadre of 7-8 the following year. My rationale is that if I only got into one of those "less ideal" (for us) schools this cycle, I wouldn't want to decline an offer in order to be able to reapply to my top choices.
From past threads this doesn't seem to be a terribly uncommon strategy, but I'm worried about shooting myself in the foot by putting myself in a situation where I may very well need to reapply. Waiting another year would be ok for us, and I would use the intervening year to continue to strengthen my application, but my pre-health advisor (who, FWIW, advises pre-meds 90% of the time) is of the opinion that reapplicants are at a serious disadvantage and my application strategy should be "one-and-done." Is that really true for vet applicants? Is mine a shoddy strategy?
Thanks for your feedback!

Umm the person advising you...
Mm Kay?