Are we allowed to work as psych associates during internship year outside internship hours? Or is it not permitted during internship year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annonymous_username

Reaction score
I checked the state regulation and as long as one has MA in psychology or one is a Ph.D. candidate, they can work as psych associates.

Given that internship pays very little stipend, i can’t help but to seek side job opportunities to sustain living.

I am wondering if there is a written or unwritten rule for interns to take on psych associate work opportunities during their internship year. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Typically this is problematic because you will be working under your supervisor's license on internship and they would be at risk of taking on liability for your outside work even though they were not supervising you as a psych associate. I would recommend asking your training director. It would generally not be an issue to get a job outside of psychology, such as working at a restaurant.

Typically this is problematic because you will be working under your supervisor's license on internship and they would be at risk of taking on liability for your outside work even though they were not supervising you as a psych associate. I would recommend asking your training director. It would generally not be an issue to get a job outside of psychology, such as working at a restaurant.
@NeuroJaguar Thank you so much for your response!

Just to clarify, my work as psych associate would be for someone outside the internship. In other words, I was under the impression that the work I would take on as a psych associate would be under the license of another supervisor who is not affiliated with the internship, so the internship supervisor would not be liable for me for the work that I do as a psych associate. Please let me know if I am misunderstanding anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ultimately, this is a question for the state board and you would likely need permission from your internship program. I am not familiar with MA law. The term psych associate is usually attached to post-docs in the states I am familiar with and you can work more than one job at that level. However all supervisors have to fill in forms for the state board. I have never heard of anyone being able to do so during internship.

Reactions: 1 users
Internship is pretty exhausting by itself, I don't think I'd recommend working in addition to it regardless.

Reactions: 5 users
Two from my intern cohort worked a few nights a week on the side. One waited tables in a fancy seafood place in the evenings and everyone knew he was a psychologist-to-be. In stead of drawing smiley faces on bills he would draw MMPI lines and his regulars thought it was hilarious. The other worked as a bartender. They said they usually bring in a couple of hundreds dollars per night.
I would review your internship contract and ensure there is no stipulation about side jobs. With my internship, we could not work more than 6 hours a week on the side (albeit I don't know how they would enforce this).

Reactions: 1 user
I would review your internship contract and ensure there is no stipulation about side jobs. With my internship, we could not work more than 6 hours a week on the side (albeit I don't know how they would enforce this).
Agree with this. Your internship should have something related to "moonlighting". Mine allowed up to 10 hours a week but had to be approved by our DCT. I know one intern who kept a easy gig from her university but I think most wouldn't recommend piling on too much so it doesn't reflect on your work during internship.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the other posts on generally not doing side work (related to the field) during internship. I left my part time work at another practice when I got to internship and focused on internship and dissertation completion. I did do some side work at another private practice alongside my post-doc later on, however I checked and got clarification from the board regarding how and which hours could be counted towards board requirements but that was post doc not internship.