Are you a Dr.???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm confused - which project is due Friday - dung beetles or Precedex?:confused: :D

Dung beetle on Friday.

I just finished the Precedex paper tonite. Good god...I do not want to ever even think about this drug.

Members don't see this ad.

Somebody have a bad day? Maybe should take your chill pill before bed.

VCU07 said:
I completely disagree...I went through 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of pharmacy school plus soon to be residency. I have gone through just as much education as some physicians and dentists.

My point was until you earn a DDM or MD, you haven't gone through as much education.

Yeah, but if you spent 8 years getting that agriculture degree you should be called doctor, too, right?

WVUPharm2007 said:
You might have a case comparing D.O. to M.D., but that's about it. Hell, neither of those are not real doctorates as I see it, either, they are just extended undergraduate degrees. Unless you have a PhD, you really can't talk about your degree being "better" than some other undergraduate degree.

Have you fallen off your rocker? Last time I check, the PharmD was the degree that didn't require a bachelor's degree, not the MD.

You personally know any grad. students? Because the ones I know, and one who I've known for his entire graduate career in biochemistry, prostate cancer research specifically, went to grad. school because he took gross anatomy and medical school physiology as an undergrad and said he didn't want to work as hard as a medical student or doctor. He's at the Burham institute now.

I call the ones I rotate with "doctor" because I have to and out of respect. I'd like to see your face when you are confronted with a PharmD in the academic setting and you have to begrudgingly call them "doctor." Haha.

I've called all my professors doctor whatever and when I go on rotations I'll continue, because I'm their student, but like I said before, if I was in the hospital (as a patient) or walked into a pharmacy to pick up a RX, I wouldn't address the pharmacist as doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
BWAHAHAHAHA. Oh my God, this is hilarious. "Equivalent!?!?" Are you on crack? Do you actually know what that word means? I don't know if I should call you Captain Obvious or invite you to the International Hyperbole Convention of 2008.

They aren't competing degrees, there, slick. If you honestly think the average physician or dentist breadth of drug knowledge comes anywhere remotely close to that of a PharmD, I have some WV beach front property to sell you. Oh, so you know what metoprolol does. Good for you. That's like asking a guy with a PhD in Art what a paint brush is. I can draw you the freakin' chemical structure carbon-for-carbon and tell you what other drugs it is stable in solution with. Hell, 90% of the physicians out there can't even dose Gent right. The PharmDs with residencies are even better - walking, talking drug encyclopedias. The hospitalists and dental residents sure as hell don't have the same view as you. I see them all the time asking the PharmDs questions. And do you know why they do this? They came to a point in time where they realized that - hey - maybe I really don't know more than everyone else.

Of course, a pharmacist's physical medicine or dental knowledge is easily trumped by the two above professions. Logically, this would make sense as each focused on their given profession for four complete years each.

Haha, equivalent. Oh, God, classic. You might as well say that a degree in medicine isn't equivalent to a degree in Agriculture. You do got that right though...they certainly aren't "equivalent." You might have a case comparing D.O. to M.D., but that's about it. Hell, neither of those are not real doctorates as I see it, either, they are just extended undergraduate degrees. Unless you have a PhD, you really can't talk about your degree being "better" than some other undergraduate degree. If you really want to talk about degrees and degree of difficulty, look into what it takes to get a PhD in Medicinal Chemistry. You have to have PhD level knowledge in Organic Chemistry, Pharmacology, and Pharmacotherapeutics - among other crap. People walk out of grad school at age 32 with their degrees. It makes a MD/DDS/DO/PharmD look pathetic in comparison. Oh, you treat people, whoopity-do. They invent the **** you use to treat them with.

I won't either. Of course, I don't address my own physician or dentist as "doctor" either. I call the ones I rotate with "doctor" because I have to and out of respect. I'd like to see your face when you are confronted with a PharmD in the academic setting and you have to begrudgingly call them "doctor." Haha.

No, seriously, get over the superiority complex, it makes you look pathetic.

Perfectly stated...I say this just gets copy/pasted every time this discussion comes up. ;)

What are you trading????

The stuff dentists dread, ok so they're not hard candies, but close enough.

Currently what's left of a 1lb bag of assorted starburst, regular. And 1/2 tub of Sour Punch twists. If I went home I'd have tootsie rolls, but alas, the DOTS are gone:eek: .

Acetyl,

My point was until you earn a DDM or MD, you haven't gone through as much education.

Are you trying to say DDS or DMD??? - not sure what a DDM is....nevertheless - I didn't earn that degree, but I was there each & every step along the way while dr sdn earned his while I was earning my PharmD (oh - he calls me dr sdn also;) ). Oh - we started school a week apart & graduated a week apart - same length.

You are comparing apples to oranges. They are not equivalent degrees. I can not do a 3 surface amalgam or prep for a 5 unit bridge as my husband does on a routine & daily basis. But, he calls me a couple of times a month to ask about drugs.

Likewise, he could no more interpret all that was going on when his dad had CABG surgery. But, I could walk into the ICU bay & look at the drips & monitors & see how critical he was compared to the previous day.

See - we have different areas of expertise. It is of no purpose to compare the relative merits of physicians, dentists, pharmacists or anyone else. We all have our place & purpose in this complex thing we call American healthcare. Titles are a reflection of an individual's practice setting & need for recognition - not always how they are perceived by the public. That being said, we should never, ever make ourselves someone we are not & that is not a diagnostician!

To try to diminsh one over another is like saying Zpaks daughter should not become an entomologist rather than a pharmacoeconomist because Precedex is more important than dung beetles. It all has to do with your perspective. Right now, to little Miss Zpak & to many entomologists, dung beetles are very important.

Have you fallen off your rocker? Last time I check, the PharmD was the degree that didn't require a bachelor's degree, not the MD.

You don't need as BS to get into med school. You only need 3 years of prereqs. The core of which are the same as pharmacy school.

I know people who have been admitted without a BS. A **** ton of people, actually.

You personally know any grad. students? Because the ones I know, and one who I've known for his entire graduate career in biochemistry, prostate cancer research specifically, went to grad. school because he took gross anatomy and medical school physiology as an undergrad and said he didn't want to work as hard as a medical student or doctor. He's at the Burham institute now.

Must have went to an easy school. Or not. I don't know. Or care. My point is that the idea that medical school is the be all end all of education is laughable. The Med Chem kids at WVU are workhorses and their course work is unreal.

I've called all my professors doctor whatever and when I go on rotations I'll continue, because I'm their student, but like I said before, if I was in the hospital (as a patient) or walked into a pharmacy to pick up a RX, I wouldn't address the pharmacist as doctor.

I agree. I don't either. Nobody gets my respect, they earn it. A degree does not equal respect. I may very well call a physician or dentist "Doctor such-and-such" one day, but it isn't due to the intrinsic existence of their degree, it's because they earned it. Why the world doesn't work that way is beyond me.

Anyone have a chocolate garden gnome?

The popcorn you're eatting has been pissed in! More at 11!

:laugh:

WVUPharm2007 said:
You don't need as BS to get into med school. You only need 3 years of prereqs. The core of which are the same as pharmacy school.

I know people who have been admitted without a BS. A **** ton of people, actually.

The BS/MD programs allow you to earn your BS your fourth year of school, or your first year of medical school. I believe you have to be in that type of program, where you will earn a bachelors degree, or already have a bachelors degree to matriculate to a medical school.

You are comparing apples to oranges. They are not equivalent degrees.

I believe I already said that, so this is where I call you Captain Obvious and invite you to the International Hyperbole Convention of 2008.

Members don't see this ad :)
The BS/MD programs allow you to earn your BS your fourth year of school, or your first year of medical school. I believe you have to be in that type of program, where you will earn a bachelors degree, or already have a bachelors degree to matriculate to a medical school.

No, med school and pharm school have the same prerequisites. There are some pharmacy schools that require a bachelors first, too. It's hard to make blanket statements about a program when it differs by school. You may not get accepted into med school without a BS because you won't be competitive. The same is true for many pharmacy schools.

Hey, can we just sticky this thread since it's such an FAQ (for some unknown reason)? It could be the YIFMBA (long-lived thread in the Drs. Lounge) of the pharmacy forum.

No, med school and pharm school have the same prerequisites. There are some pharmacy schools that require a bachelors first, too. It's hard to make blanket statements about a program when it differs by school. You may not get accepted into med school without a BS because you won't be competitive. The same is true for many pharmacy schools.

The only pharmacy school I know that requires a bachelors degree is Ohio State, and that was changed within the last few years.

From the state medical school in your state:
http://www.med.ufl.edu/oea/admiss/site/Regular.shtml

I realize it varies from school to school, but to my knowledge, many medical schools require a bachelors degree or require the three years of prior study to be the same as a curriculm leading to a BS in some degree. The pre-req's are also slightly different, with the 2 years of pre-pharm being much harder in my opinion.

When someone says "I want to be a doctor", everyone knows they mean "I want to be a physician". If they say "I went to the doctor", everyone knows they went to see their physician.

This whole argument has to do with the fact that the commonly used word for "physician" is "doctor".

Just because we will have or do have the title "Doctor of Pharmacy" doesn't mean anyone is going to call us Doctor.

When someone says "I want to be a doctor", everyone knows they mean "I want to be a physician". If they say "I went to the doctor", everyone knows they went to see their physician.

This whole argument has to do with the fact that the commonly used word for "physician" is "doctor".

Just because we will have or do have the title "Doctor of Pharmacy" doesn't mean anyone is going to call us Doctor.

:beat: :beat: :beat:

No kidding.

If people don't want responses to the topic of this thread.... then it needs to be closed off.

Hellloooooo! We are talking about food now. sheesh.

Chocolate Bonzai? Hmmmm...I'm not sure what to think of this. Are you threatening me? I am cornholio...

No kidding.

If people don't want responses to the topic of this thread.... then it needs to be closed off.

Constructive responses that haven't already be given or shed further light on the discussion are more than welcome. The problem is that it's hard to see the light when you're 6 feet under. :beat:

Besides we closed the last couple, but lazarus refuses to die. Again :beat:

i didn't go to evil medical school to be called Mister, thank you very much
- Dr. Evil

I guess to me it comes down to the situation. But the way I see it a MD is the person who takes care of people's ailments. He is a professional at that. Just like a pharmacist is a professional at understanding drug action. They are both doctors of their respective sciences.

I work in a clinical setting, a neurological institute. My boss is call Dr by everyone except the other MDs, and in that case, they are on a first name basis. His patients call him doctor, and rightfully so, he is an expert in drug therapy, he commands the respect in that because people see him for that specialty. It also seems like the title puts more patients at ease. Dr ____ the pharmacist sounds more respectable then Mr ____ or the pharmacist _____ . It makes his opinion stick a little better.

But in a community setting, i am not so sure. I cannot comment on it, because i don't have the experience there. But with the push towards a more patient based care, why wouldnt anyone not want to be at the least introduced as such? Like i said, i dont have a lot of experience at that level, so i am curious. My experience is one sided, so i do not know. Forgive my ignorance