Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Are you a Dr.???

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by ScreenNameX, Apr 6, 2007.

1. ScreenNameX

Pharmacy Student
    This might be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyways. Once you graduate pharmacy school, with a PharmD, do people refer to you as "Dr." since you are a Doctor of Pharmacy.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Axion

You are tecnically a doctor since you hold a doctoral degree. However most people will not refer to you as a doctor since the mindset is you need to graduate from medical school to become a doctor, which is completely untrue.

4. Moxxie

Moxxie Rained out

Resident [Any Field]
  5. ScreenNameX

Pharmacy Student
    Sorry if this has been discussed before MOXXIE, but I'm new to this forum. If you're really that tired of discussing this topic, or whatever other topic, don't bother replying if it pains you so much. Grow up.

6. nightcrawleRx

Pharmacist
    I don't know that this was a direct shot at you...it just seems that nobody uses the search function. The same threads come up again and again so people get sick of replying. You probably won't get many responses in this thread but if you search you'll find a sh*tload of responses regarding this topic. Maybe SDN should make the search function bigger and bolder...

7. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    I will have a doctorate, but I'm not a doctor. Just like a guy with an associates degree isn't an associate. Those with MDs aren't a "doctor" either in the most literal since...they are physicians.

Now society has this ******ed meme going on where only one group of folks that have received doctorate degrees get to monopolize the phrase. Silly? Yes. Do I care? No.

8. WVUPharm2007

Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    The search function is your friend. Don't come on here like a Johnny-come-lately and expect us to not get annoyed when a troll-bait subject like this comes along. Again.

9. Moxxie

Moxxie Rained out

Resident [Any Field]
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=365634&highlight=pharmacists+doctors

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=304495&highlight=pharmacists+doctors

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=314291&highlight=pharmacists+doctors

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=251469

That's just a few.

Sorry if I offended you, but this comes up over and over again, and the same statements are made. A brief summary - a lot of pharmacists don't care, but there are some people with very strong opinions. :cool:

10. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

:) *sits back with my popcorn to watch the show*:p

*wondering who will be the first ...you know who...to appear on the scene:cool: *

I agree, the search function is indeed your friend - every pharmacist must be good at information retrieval - why not start now?:p

11. rxforlife2004

rxforlife2004 Banned
    Banned

Non-Student
    I'll start first...ahahahaa...um. True story: I did a testimony on one of the most anal physician at my hospital (pretty well known to yell at RN for not calling him because patient has fever; and when the RN calls him for such reason...he gets pissed off too "just because of the fever and u called me?"). Anyway, back to the testimony...i was in the elevator, and i made eye contact then said, "Hi dog. Kinda cold today huh dog?". he looked at me in a weird way...but can't blame me because i pretended to have a bad Vietnamese accent that can't pronouce the term "doc" properly, and often mixed up (purposely) with the term "dog":laugh:

So if anyone wanna be called "dog", i'll be more than happy to call you "dog".

12. MPBenJ

Post Doc
    I work at a large healthcare company full of people with PhD's in chemistry, biology and biochemistry. No one calls them doctor.... and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Everyone is called by their first name.
    For me, personally, I couldn't care less if someone considered me a doctor (once I graduate)....

13. twester

twester Senior Member

Pharmacist
    I hate medicinal chemistry. I'm not sure I see how knowing the pKa of an obscure, obsolete drug is going to come in handy. Can I pick up a vial of morphine, see that it's the wrong isomer and throw it in the return bin?

Sorry, what was the question?

14. PolarBear21

PolarBear21 Senior Member

Pharmacy Student
    Same here, I think esp in retail pharmacy its really such a team effort everyone just calls everyone else by their first name. Not sure about other work places though.

15. acetyl

Pharmacy Student
    Pharmacist called a doctor: no, unless they are a professor.

That goes with any doctor of philosophy degree, not just a doctor of pharmacy. I believe MD's are the only ones who get called doctor in most settings. The others just from the ones they teach.

To me, it means they've spent more time in school, so I'll give them the respect, but whatever :D

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. letjin

Pharmacist
    Law school graduates get JD (Doctor of Jurisprudence or Juris Doctorate). Do you call your lawyers Dr? ;)

18. howsoonisnow

Pre-Pharmacy
    Moxxie-

I have never heard that quote before, but I absolutely love it!! Sorry it pissed people off, I think it's great.

19. VCU2011

Pharmacy Student
    i agree that it's a major team setting within the pharmacy so refering to the pharmacist as doctor smith would be tough...on the other hand, if there was a push within the profession to introduce themselves to patients as doctor smith do you think it would take root? or if nothing else would put more respect into the eyes of the patient for the position...

That said dont think that I dont have respect for the position, its just my experience that the general public views the retail pharmacists with a lovely red bullseye on their forehead...but maybe that's just becuase i work in northern virginia

20. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    *Waiting for that one remark that causes this thread to be closed like I'm pretty sure the last one was.*

I didn't look at the 4 links, but I was here for the last two anyway.

21. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

Wait!!!!

I'm not done with my popcorn yet.....and the really, really big players haven't shown up yet either;)

22. VCU2011

Pharmacy Student
    haha wow i just read where these threads went in the past..im bowing out now before i start losing hair at the ripe old age of 21:cool::cool:

23. VCU07

VCU07 Member

You could have thought of a more origional screen name, gosh! j/k

24. goosestuff

goosestuff 10-4, Chicken Feed, 10-4

Dental Student
    Not necessarily true. I work with plenty of PhDs and when formally addressed it's Dr. so-and-so.

25. VCU2011

Pharmacy Student
    The difference between you and I though is hundreds of years from now, everyone will wonder if you went to VCU in 1907, 2007, 2107, 2207, ect...people will KNOW i went in 2011:D:D

26. ZpackSux

ZpackSux Retired
    Banned

I'm not a big player...nor will I ever participate in this topic.

27. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

Yeah...I agree - silly topic....been talked to death.

But - is that what I think it is in your avatar??????

Is that....is that...is that......the notorius little Miss Sux's dung beetle:eek: ?

Was the project a success????? It is April after all....

Questioning minds want to know:confused: ......

28. Moxxie

Moxxie Rained out

Resident [Any Field]
    So now we're talking about dung beetles - somehow, my picture about "Not this Sh!+ again" has been appropriate the entire time!

29. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

:thumbup: but...soooo very much better than the topic on the thread title - no?:rolleyes:

I'm still not done with my popcorn & its getting cold....

30. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Pharmacist
    Snoop Dogg has left the building. :(

All we have is C-ject running around with a bottle of gin and some Juicy Juice.

31. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

Really???? There were a couple of Snoop Doggs as I recall....have they all left the building???

Whats to become of threads like this - are we just to finish our popcorn & go home:( ?????

32. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd

Pharmacist
    Snoopy, maybe. Not, Snoop. :laugh:

I'm not sure what will become of this thread, Dr. sdn1977. Maybe Dr. ZpackSux has some ideas.

33. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

Nah - Dr Sux...oh - I think we need to call him Mr. Consultant Sux now...doesn't speak to these topics. Plus - he's off to work tomorrow, I'm sure.. I actually was referring to those who have STRONG feelings on those who should NOT be using the title.......

After much discussion on this same issue, I must reluctantly agree with him - silly topic!

With that...I'm done with popcorn & off to bed....I'm now tucking my Dr title into my white coat pocket & turning off the light. g'night.

34. acetyl

Pharmacy Student
    Sounds like some good ol' conflict is warranted by our mentor, so I'll go ahead and bump this thread for whoever it is that is suppose to see it.

I still think a pharmacist shouldn't be called a doctor.

35. VCU07

VCU07 Member

I completely disagree...I went through 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of pharmacy school plus soon to be residency. I have gone through just as much education as some physicians and dentists. I agree that when people say "doctor" it will be a physician b/c that is always how it has been, but times change. I don't expect people to call me Dr. VCU07, but I do think of us as doctors (just a different kind).

36. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator

Pharmacist
    Ya'll ate all the popcorn and didn't save any for me??? I miss everything good when I go to bed early. :mad:

37. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched

Pharmacy Student
    I think they got tired waiting for a "warm soapy water" comment.

38. All4MyDaughter

Pharmacist
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

39. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    I don't have any popcorn, but we had two pinatas over the weekend for my mom-in-law's and my bro's birthday. I'll share my dots and starbursts for those coming to the discussion late.:D

40. All4MyDaughter

Pharmacist
    Yum! I like the red starbursts the best!

41. acetyl

Pharmacy Student
    Point taken, but your education, which will be less than mine when I'm finished, is still not equivalent to either a dentist or physician's. It won't be in our lifetime either when I walk into a pharmacy, or while in a hospital, a pharmacist walks into my room, that I address them as doctor.

42. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

Just out of curiousity - why would you say the education is not equivalent???

I'm just curious what you're basing your assessment on. 'Cause I live with a dentist & I know EXACTLY what education he had.

Oh...and I'm paying for a medical education......(hmmm yeah - she was the one looking for an antiarrhythmic mnemonic - which...btw..I helped her out with).

Different does not necessarily mean unequal, at least as far as education. In my very small part of living, it has meant equal respect...but - what do I know - I finished the popcorn last night:oops: - everyone else had gone to bed!

Now...where is that chocolate bunny???????

43. WVUPharm2007

Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    BWAHAHAHAHA. Oh my God, this is hilarious. "Equivalent!?!?" Are you on crack? Do you actually know what that word means? I don't know if I should call you Captain Obvious or invite you to the International Hyperbole Convention of 2008.

They aren't competing degrees, there, slick. If you honestly think the average physician or dentist breadth of drug knowledge comes anywhere remotely close to that of a PharmD, I have some WV beach front property to sell you. Oh, so you know what metoprolol does. Good for you. That's like asking a guy with a PhD in Art what a paint brush is. I can draw you the freakin' chemical structure carbon-for-carbon and tell you what other drugs it is stable in solution with. Hell, 90% of the physicians out there can't even dose Gent right. The PharmDs with residencies are even better - walking, talking drug encyclopedias. The hospitalists and dental residents sure as hell don't have the same view as you. I see them all the time asking the PharmDs questions. And do you know why they do this? They came to a point in time where they realized that - hey - maybe I really don't know more than everyone else.

Of course, a pharmacist's physical medicine or dental knowledge is easily trumped by the two above professions. Logically, this would make sense as each focused on their given profession for four complete years each.

Haha, equivalent. Oh, God, classic. You might as well say that a degree in medicine isn't equivalent to a degree in Agriculture. You do got that right though...they certainly aren't "equivalent." You might have a case comparing D.O. to M.D., but that's about it. Hell, neither of those are not real doctorates as I see it, either, they are just extended undergraduate degrees. Unless you have a PhD, you really can't talk about your degree being "better" than some other undergraduate degree. If you really want to talk about degrees and degree of difficulty, look into what it takes to get a PhD in Medicinal Chemistry. You have to have PhD level knowledge in Organic Chemistry, Pharmacology, and Pharmacotherapeutics - among other crap. People walk out of grad school at age 32 with their degrees. It makes a MD/DDS/DO/PharmD look pathetic in comparison. Oh, you treat people, whoopity-do. They invent the **** you use to treat them with.

I won't either. Of course, I don't address my own physician or dentist as "doctor" either. I call the ones I rotate with "doctor" because I have to and out of respect. I'd like to see your face when you are confronted with a PharmD in the academic setting and you have to begrudgingly call them "doctor." Haha.

No, seriously, get over the superiority complex, it makes you look pathetic.

44. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

NOW I'm talkin'!!!!:D

I've thrown away the d*mn bunny - where are my Milk Duds????:p

WVU - what got you fired up???;)

45. WVUPharm2007

Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    The question is what DIDN'T get me fired up. I had to get up at 5AM to be in Kingwood at 7AM for my rotation, I didn't get off until 5, 13 hours without rest left me partially insane, I have to do it again tomorrow, I can't get to sleep, and I'm eating a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. That I am in a long diatribe type of mood.

46. ZpackSux

ZpackSux Retired
    Banned

The project is due friday... But you know..I've spent 80 hours writing a white paper on Precedex... read about 50 journal articles...

47. WVUPharm2007

Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    I'd have considered suicide at hour 3 or so. I commend you for your endurance.

48. ZpackSux

ZpackSux Retired
    Banned

ehhh...but I get paid to do this stuff....

49. WVUPharm2007

Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    The sad thing is that I actually forgot that. Hell, some day I'll get a paycheck for this **** and get all confused. WTF did this $1500 come from?!?!

50. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

I'm confused - which project is due Friday - dung beetles or Precedex?:confused: :D

51. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

Sprinkle those Fruity Pebbles with a half capsule of dihendrydramine & you'll be good to go tomorrow. Or...better yet - wash them down with a shot of something.

This is only Monday - you gotta hold on!

52. All4MyDaughter

Pharmacist

No! Don't throw away the bunny!!! I'll eat it with some peanut butter. :D