Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Are you all working this summer?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bobcat, Aug 1, 2001.

1. bobcat

bobcat Member
    10+ Year Member

Some of my premed friends are doing clinical work or research work. However, an equal number are "studying for the MCAT" or "applying to medical schools" ? How do medical schools perceive this choice? I mean the last time I checked, preparing for the MCATs or applying to med school (except for this year) does not really constitute a full-time job. I took the MCAT last summer while working 40hrs/week because I needed the money and because I didn't want to seem lazy. I am working full-time in research again this summer. So I guess my question is: Do med schools even care if you work and attempt to support yourself or can you slide by having fun all summer while Mommy and Daddy support you?

2. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've been working on average about 70 hours a week this summer since school got out. I took the april mcat so I've got free time besides applying. i work as a tech in an ER, and two jobs as a paramedic on an ambulance.
    that will cut back drastically when school starts up in august.

later

3. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Summer? I remember that. Jeez, I haven't had a summer off since 1997. :(

Andrew

4. princessSMT

princessSMT Member
    7+ Year Member

truthfully, i dont know.

BUT it will look GREAT if you did something productive with that time-- either work, did volunteer stuff, research, or set foot into a hospital.

honestly, the most fun summer job will probably one somewhere in the research/medical field if thats what you WANT to do with your life:) at first i didnt think that research was a summer job for anyone, but it really is fairly common and i love it!

good luck bobcat:)