Are you all working this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of my premed friends are doing clinical work or research work. However, an equal number are "studying for the MCAT" or "applying to medical schools" ? How do medical schools perceive this choice? I mean the last time I checked, preparing for the MCATs or applying to med school (except for this year) does not really constitute a full-time job. I took the MCAT last summer while working 40hrs/week because I needed the money and because I didn't want to seem lazy. I am working full-time in research again this summer. So I guess my question is: Do med schools even care if you work and attempt to support yourself or can you slide by having fun all summer while Mommy and Daddy support you?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been working on average about 70 hours a week this summer since school got out. I took the april mcat so I've got free time besides applying. i work as a tech in an ER, and two jobs as a paramedic on an ambulance.
that will cut back drastically when school starts up in august.

later

truthfully, i dont know.

BUT it will look GREAT if you did something productive with that time-- either work, did volunteer stuff, research, or set foot into a hospital.

honestly, the most fun summer job will probably one somewhere in the research/medical field if thats what you WANT to do with your life:) at first i didnt think that research was a summer job for anyone, but it really is fairly common and i love it!

good luck bobcat:)