Are you confused about Optometry? Then READ this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gochi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, several students seem to be worried about their career choice. In fact, one student, has requested me to provide reasons as to why optometry sucks. I will list MOST of the reasons in this thread.

First, what doctor, would want to admit he or she has failed? In general, when students talk to doctors about a career, such as optometry, doctors usually point out the good only. They leave out the negative aspects, because they do not want to start up a conversation about their mistakes. Some, however, do point out the bad things about optometry, only to get bashed by other students. Consequently, those docs that offered the truth, stop participating in SDN, leaving the pre-opts with untruthful optometrist.

Let's begin with some of the issues in Optometry (oculo style)

Saturation

Before the three new schools announced their opening of an optometry school, saturation was a problem. Just imagine an excess of 150-200 OD's being pumped out by by these schools every year. Not a good situation.

Proof:

"Over the next five years, about 550 optometrists are expected to retire annually. Approximately 1,125 new O.D.s enter the practice of optometry each year. As a result, the supply of optometrists will increase steadily."

"...the size of the excess supply is nearly 8 percent by 2005 and more than 13 percent by 2015."

Study conducted in 2000. They did not take into account the opening of three new schools so those oversupply percentages are bound to increase by at least 5%.

Now, exactly what will happen to OD's who are practicing in this era of declination?

Lower salaries?

"According to the American Optometric Association, new optometry graduates in their first year of practice earned median net incomes of $55,000 in 1998."

Longer hours worked ?

"Optometrists will respond to excess supply in a number of ways. Some may decrease patient volume and work hours or accept less attractive work conditions (e.g., working additional nights or weekends or lower reimbursement levels)."

Or maybe, just change up the whole plan by starting a new career.

"Some optometrists may be forced into alternative careers, exiting the profession earlier than they had anticipated."

Some who are actually talented will avoid the oversupply, while everyone else will dwell about their career choice and start working at wal-mart.

2852398700_1ec8978294.jpg

Were not done yet.

Whats the cost of an optometry education?

Most schools have tuition's exceeding $25000, and because of inflation, they are required to increase their tuition yearly.

Mathematically, it would take one four years to complete optometry schools for which they spend $100,000 dollars on. However, many do not have $100,000 dollars, so they are required to take out loans, which further increases the students debt by two-folds.

In summary, some may go to school for x amount of years, and accumulate y amount of debt and deal with z amount of issues, so they can ask their patients the following question: "What is better, 1 or 2"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that every career has its own excess supply as an example dental , medical, or any undergraduate major, it is Ok, what we have to do just stay at home and keep complaining about inflamation, supply , demand, etc...even under this bad economy a person can prove himself and be a successful person whatever his career is a Doctor, or even a houskeeper.
icon6.gif

"According to the American Optometric Association, new optometry graduates in their first year of practice earned median net incomes of $55,000 in 1998."

You do realize that 1998 was ELEVEN years ago, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Saturation

Before the three new schools announced their opening of an optometry school, saturation was a problem. Just imagine an excess of 150-200 OD's being pumped out by by these schools every year. Not a good situation.

Proof:

"Over the next five years, about 550 optometrists are expected to retire annually. Approximately 1,125 new O.D.s enter the practice of optometry each year. As a result, the supply of optometrists will increase steadily."

Lets put on our thinking caps now gochi. :smack: Lets say for the next 5 years from now, about 550 optometrists retire annualy. We can assume these optometrists range in age from about 55-60, which means they graduated optometry school in the late 1960s and early 1970s. At that time in America, there werent as many optometry schools open and class sizes were lower because it wasn't such a mainstream career path as it is today. That explains the low number of optometrists retiring over the next 5 years.

Where am I going with this?

For about 35 years after the 1970s, optometry progressively grew as a popular career choice, consequently causing class sizes to grow and more optometry schools to open. Therefore, for the next 35 years, we can reasonably expect that there will be progressively more optometrists retiring each year. This means that the ratio of entering doctors/retiring doctors will level off somewhat compared to what the ratio will be for the next 5 to 10 years.

In addition, we can reasonably assume that not EVERY gradaute of optometry school will enter a mode of practice. Some of them teach, some dedicate their time to research. It is unknown to me exactly what percent does not actively pursue a practice, but I know not every doctor is in practice mode. Not every graduate of optometry school practices.

What is your vendetta against this profession? There are worse career paths to follow.
Maybe you should be trolling on the student-real estate agent forums. You would have a lot more to talk about there.

Last edited:
As an aside, don't forget about the baby boomers that will be needing optometrists' services. :thumbup:

Recently, several students seem to be worried about their career choice. In fact, one student, has requested me to provide reasons as to why optometry sucks.

If you are interested in providing information on why optometry "sucks" (word choice)...just curious to know why you bother coming on here? Were you trying to go to Optometry school? or browsing options?

(not being sarcastic/ trying to start an argument, just curious since i see you around here all the time)

Lets put on our thinking caps now gochi. :smack: Lets say for the next 5 years from now, about 550 optometrists retire annualy. We can assume these optometrists range in age from about 55-60, which means they graduated optometry school in the late 1960s and early 1970s. At that time in America, there werent as many optometry schools open and class sizes were lower because it wasn't such a mainstream career path as it is today. That explains the low number of optometrists retiring over the next 5 years.

Where am I going with this?

For about 35 years after the 1970s, optometry progressively grew as a popular career choice, consequently causing class sizes to grow and more optometry schools to open. Therefore, for the next 35 years, we can reasonably expect that there will be progressively more optometrists retiring each year. This means that the ratio of entering doctors/retiring doctors will level off somewhat compared to what the ratio will be for the next 5 to 10 years.

In addition, we can reasonably assume that not EVERY gradaute of optometry school will enter a mode of practice. Some of them teach, some dedicate their time to research. It is unknown to me exactly what percent does not actively pursue a practice, but I know not every doctor is in practice mode. Not every graduate of optometry school practices.

What is your vendetta against this profession? There are worse career paths to follow.
Maybe you should be trolling on the student-real estate agent forums. You would have a lot more to talk about there.

First of all, understand what you read.

Second, what you have said here, is essentially, bs, because you fail to provide any real evidence or data. Merely your opinion.

I can't believe you think that "for the next 35 years, we can reasonably expect that there will be progressively more optometrists retiring each year." This is what you are hoping for.

Again, provide some BELIEVABLE facts.

If you are interested in providing information on why optometry "sucks" (word choice)...just curious to know why you bother coming on here? Were you trying to go to Optometry school? or browsing options?

(not being sarcastic/ trying to start an argument, just curious since i see you around here all the time)

I don't think it matters. This thread is about optometry, not the great gochi.

Saturation

Proof:

"...the size of the excess supply is nearly 8 percent by 2005 and more than 13 percent by 2015."

Study conducted in 2000. They did not take into account the opening of three new schools so those oversupply percentages are bound to increase by at least 5%.

Now, exactly what will happen to OD's who are practicing in this era of declination?
You are absolutely correct that the number of optometrists is increasing. But why is that a problem? It's not.

Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2008-09
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm#outlook

There is a HUGE baby boomer population in the US that is nearing retirement age. "As the population ages, there will likely be more visits to optometrists and ophthalmologists because of the onset of vision problems that occur at older ages, such as cataracts and glaucoma. In addition, increased incidences of diabetes and hypertension in the general population as well as in the elderly will generate greater demand for optometric services as these diseases often affect eyesight."

An increase in supply of optometrists... is perfect for an increase in demand for them.

Lower salaries?

I don't know where you got that data but as someone pointed out, it is 11 years old. Things can change in 11 years.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm#earnings

"Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists were $91,040 in May 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $66,530 and $118,490. Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists in offices of optometrists were $86,760. Salaried optometrists tend to earn more initially than do optometrists who set up their own practices. In the long run, however, those in private practice usually earn more.

According to the American Optometric Association, median net annual income for all optometrists, including the self-employed, was $105,000 in 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $84,000 and $150,000."

Longer hours worked ?

"Optometrists will respond to excess supply in a number of ways. Some may decrease patient volume and work hours or accept less attractive work conditions (e.g., working additional nights or weekends or lower reimbursement levels)."
As stated above, there will be no excess supply of optometrists due to the increase in demand for them. Not only that, but there are always new technologies and tools being created for optometrists, which will allow them to see more patients in less time, while (presumably) charging the same rates.

Or maybe, just change up the whole plan by starting a new career.

"Some optometrists may be forced into alternative careers, exiting the profession earlier than they had anticipated."

Some who are actually talented will avoid the oversupply, while everyone else will dwell about their career choice and start working at wal-mart.
This is hard to say, because I think it will vary by region. Some areas of the US are probably overpopulated with optometrists, while other areas will have a shortage. It really depends on where you choose to practice.

Whats the cost of an optometry education?

Most schools have tuition's exceeding $25000, and because of inflation, they are required to increase their tuition yearly.

Mathematically, it would take one four years to complete optometry schools for which they spend $100,000 dollars on. However, many do not have $100,000 dollars, so they are required to take out loans, which further increases the students debt by two-folds.

In summary, some may go to school for x amount of years, and accumulate y amount of debt and deal with z amount of issues, so they can ask their patients the following question: "What is better, 1 or 2"
More than $100,000 actually, if you count housing and other living expenses. But this is the same thing as medical and dental school... as well as getting a simple undergraduate degree (B.S./B.A.) at a private school like USC.

If you love optometry and want to pursue it as a career, then you take out the loan and pay the tuition because its worth it to you. It may not be easy for the first several years, but if you want to earn money, you need to work for it. There's no such thing as an easy job that pays a lot of money (at least for most people).

Gochi has been all over these boards since 2006, bouncing around in the pre-dental, pre-pharm, pre-osteopathic and pre-opt. forums. Based on the info. Gochi provided in multiple threads, it looks like he/she (I really dont know what you are) received too many C's, D's and F's to be a competitive applicant for anything. Therefore, Gochi lacks a purpose in life. The pre-opt. forum has given Gochi a "special purpose"; bashing optometry then sitting in front of the computer yearning for angry replies.

I almost feel sorry for "it" - kind of like a sad, little puppy or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gochi has been all over these boards since 2006, bouncing around in the pre-dental, pre-pharm, pre-osteopathic and pre-opt. forums. Based on the info. Gochi provided in multiple threads, it looks like he/she (I really dont know what you are) received too many C's, D's and F's to be a competitive applicant for anything. Therefore, Gochi lacks a purpose in life. The pre-opt. forum has given Gochi a "special purpose"; bashing optometry then sitting in front of the computer yearning for angry replies.

:thumbup:

this thread is useless.

I think we all agree on this. This post should be "sticky'd", so we can copy and paste it whenever it is needed.

I don't think it matters. This thread is about optometry, not the great gochi.

of course it matters, mainly because you started the thread.

Wheres your credibility? that's basically what I'm asking.

Also, would you mind citing the quotes where you got the information from? (i see quotes no links)

Thanks.

Great summary. :thumbup:

I still wonder why he/she has so much hostility towards Nova if he/she claims to never have been a student there?

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct that the number of optometrists is increasing. But why is that a problem? It's not.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm#outlook

There is a HUGE baby boomer population in the US that is nearing retirement age. "As the population ages, there will likely be more visits to optometrists and ophthalmologists because of the onset of vision problems that occur at older ages, such as cataracts and glaucoma. In addition, increased incidences of diabetes and hypertension in the general population as well as in the elderly will generate greater demand for optometric services as these diseases often affect eyesight."

An increase in supply of optometrists... is perfect for an increase in demand for them.

I don't know where you got that data but as someone pointed out, it is 11 years old. Things can change in 11 years.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm#earnings

"Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists were $91,040 in May 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $66,530 and $118,490. Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists in offices of optometrists were $86,760. Salaried optometrists tend to earn more initially than do optometrists who set up their own practices. In the long run, however, those in private practice usually earn more.

According to the American Optometric Association, median net annual income for all optometrists, including the self-employed, was $105,000 in 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $84,000 and $150,000."

The AOA data is flawed. Some pp's net 1 mil, which could easily offset salary data.

As stated above, there will be no excess supply of optometrists due to the increase in demand for them. Not only that, but there are always new technologies and tools being created for optometrists, which will allow them to see more patients in less time, while (presumably) charging the same rates.

This is hard to say, because I think it will vary by region. Some areas of the US are probably overpopulated with optometrists, while other areas will have a shortage. It really depends on where you choose to practice.

More than $100,000 actually, if you count housing and other living expenses. But this is the same thing as medical and dental school... as well as getting a simple undergraduate degree (B.S./B.A.) at a private school like USC.

If you love optometry and want to pursue it as a career, then you take out the loan and pay the tuition because its worth it to you. It may not be easy for the first several years, but if you want to earn money, you need to work for it. There's no such thing as an easy job that pays a lot of money (at least for most people).

How many people actually get an eye exam/year? I don't know what the requirement is, but perhaps at least once a year. Anyhow, many people, including those baby boomers, probably, get exams done every 5 years.

The AOA data is flawed. Some pp's net 1 mil, which could easily offset salary data.

"As stated above, there will be no excess supply of optometrists due to the increase in demand for them."
Are you kidding me? This is your opinion. You have not conducted any research about this topic of saturation, besides reading what everyone else is reading. :laugh:

:laugh:

You claim I don't have a purpose, yet you check out all of my posts from 2006. Good job. Thats pretty sad.

Optometry is not competitive, so I'm sure if I do have any of those grades I will more than likely get in. Although, why would I want to? Thats one of the many questions that many other pre-opts can answer by reading my original post.

If you are you upset that you decided on a career with certain expectations, which have now diminished by a single post of mine, then I apologize for that.

I will now start praising how great optometry is. I mean, who would not love to be in 200k of debt, work weekends at walmart, and ask their patients "1 or 2" ? So exciting !!!! :soexcited:

I think we all agree on this. This post should be "sticky'd", so we can copy and paste it whenever it is needed.

I think we also agree that idiots should not be able to enroll into a graduate program.

However, there is the odd case of certain individuals.

Great summary. :thumbup:

I still wonder why he/she has so much hostility towards Nova if he/she claims to never have been a student there?

Because NOVA is ****.

They kick you out if you fail one course. Your pretty stupid as I have stated that many times. Goodness.

Because NOVA is ****.

They kick you out if you fail one course. Your pretty stupid as I have stated that many times. Goodness.

The highlighted part is quote worthy!:rofl:

I would stop responding to gochi/megaton. It's like a child. It cries and whines because it wants attention. For the short-term, it cries and whines louder until it gets its attention, but if everyone ignores it, it'll eventually give up in the long run.

Thanks for the link, how is asking how credible you are failed logic?

Asking me to provide information about myself just because I started a thread is failed logic.

With all the evidence I have provided thus far, why does my credibility even matter?

I'm merely restating the words of others.

I would stop responding to gochi/megaton. It's like a child. It cries and whines because it wants attention. For the short-term, it cries and whines louder until it gets its attention, but if everyone ignores it, it'll eventually give up in the long run.

Yes, you would obviously know this from personal experiences I suppose.

If u thnk u've provided reasons as to why optometry sucks try harder. An increase in the no. of health practioners-optometrists in this case indicates new grounds,specialty,professionalism and diversity.And pls get ur facts straight and current!

Guys, please stop responding to it. It does not follow logic or debate. Any replies just fans its ego. The best course of action is to ignore it.

If u thnk u've provided reasons as to why optometry sucks try harder. An increase in the no. of health practioners-optometrists in this case indicates new grounds,specialty,professionalism and diversity.And pls get ur facts straight and current!

New grounds? Specialty? PROFESSIONALISM!? :laugh:

please elaborate.

Guys, please stop responding to it. It does not follow logic or debate. Any replies just fans its ego. The best course of action is to ignore it.

Yes, ignore the facts, and whine and complain like 50% of the docs who always have something negative to say about optometry.

Think about it, when you graduate optometry school (if), you can thank tizzle for your $55,000 salary which you will use to pay off 200k of loans and maintain a living.

Asking me to provide information about myself just because I started a thread is failed logic.

With all the evidence I have provided thus far, why does my credibility even matter?

I'm merely restating the words of others.

Then why not only restate words from sources? You mention that:

"Consequently, those docs that offered the truth, stop participating in SDN, leaving the pre-opts with untruthful optometrist."

How can you know what the "truth" is just by reading? and if you have not actually experienced this stuff first hand. Reason as to why i was curious about your credibility.

The place you provide actual statements from is an example of something that's credible. I don't see the harm in knowing your status / affiliation to the field of optometry.

gochi, good Lord. Please learn how to use the multi-quote button. I know you really enjoy posting 1000 times in a row, but the multi-quote button really is your friend.

why is goochi brining up all the old negative posts about optometry...

gochi...since you are so intent on searching out the "facts," maybe it's time you face some yourself. Honestly answer the following questions to yourself (since I know you dont have the balls to post your answers here):

Where do you currently work?
Where do you plan on working for the next 30 years?
Do you have any debt? If so, from what?

The reason I ask these questions is because you seem to think whatever you are doing right now is better than pursuing optometry school. You also think optometry is a sad profession with no future, which means you must know of a career that you will succeed in that has a great future. Lastly, you seem to think an education is a bad form of debt, which it is not. So if you have any debt of your own, please justify how it has bettered you as a person, since you seem to think educational debt does nothing for a person.

In other words gochi, put your money where your mouth is, or shut your mouth. You are not successfully dissuading anyone from this profession. You only enlighten us to the sad individual you are.

I am tired of hearing about all these magical baby boomers. Almost all of them are already in the system. As it is the number one problem with most OD practices today is insufficient patient volume. There was a survey by the AOA or someone that proved this point to an incredible degree. Most ODs could easily double their patient load with just a little bit of delegation.

Not only will the new schools put the hurt on, but many more grads will sell their soul to commercial. Because of commercial's embarrassing low fees they need higher volume which means....ding ding ding worse oversupply yet!

gochi...since you are so intent on searching out the "facts," maybe it's time you face some yourself. Honestly answer the following questions to yourself (since I know you dont have the balls to post your answers here):

Where do you currently work?
Where do you plan on working for the next 30 years?
Do you have any debt? If so, from what?

The reason I ask these questions is because you seem to think whatever you are doing right now is better than pursuing optometry school. You also think optometry is a sad profession with no future, which means you must know of a career that you will succeed in that has a great future. Lastly, you seem to think an education is a bad form of debt, which it is not. So if you have any debt of your own, please justify how it has bettered you as a person, since you seem to think educational debt does nothing for a person.

In other words gochi, put your money where your mouth is, or shut your mouth. You are not successfully dissuading anyone from this profession. You only enlighten us to the sad individual you are.

Many assertions here.

Really, what the hell are you talking about?

The AOA reported numbers for median net income; this type of average is designed to avoid the number skewing that calculating mean net income would incur. The median represents the 50%-ile point at which half of the OD incomes reported were less than, and the other half, more than.

While I don't think the findings are flawed, I agree that they, like any and all surveys can be unavoidably biased. They are findings based on their method of survey which may be biased towards members of the AOA.

For the record, these are a couple of findings reported in their most recent "2007 AOA Economic Survey (National Highlights)"--I found this report after logging into the member-restricted section of the AOA website:

While median total individual net income of ODs in 2006 was $105,000, the distribution of total individual net earnings varied widely. One-fourth of optometrists (those in the lowest quartile) had median net incomes of $84,000 or less, while another fourth (in the highest quartile) reported total individual net incomes of $150,000 or more.

In 2006, the mean (average) total individual net income was $131,197, or more than 70 percent larger in nominal dollars than the amount in 1996. During the decade 1996-2006, average (or mean) individual net income rose by 10.2 percent faster than inflation.

This confirms our suspicion that the mean averages will be skewed by a couple of high earners, but it also illustrates the validity of the median average. This also combines all the ODs--employed or self-employed, partners, groups, etc. ODs employed had a median income of $90,000 while ODs who were self-employed were found to have an average median income of $140,000.

If you don't trust the AOA or its members, or their median net income findings, then you might look to other sources of income data.

Here is the data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm):

Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists were $91,040 in May 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $66,530 and $118,490. Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists in offices of optometrists were $86,760. Salaried optometrists tend to earn more initially than do optometrists who set up their own practices. In the long run, however, those in private practice usually earn more.

They also summarize the findings of the AOA under this paragraph to offer what the AOA survey has found (which I have already reported above).

Now, some people don't trust the government either, so for good measure, let's see what the respondents to the Review of Optometry's 2007 Income Survey (http://www.revoptom.com/index.asp?page=2_13989.htm)say:

According to our results, the average optometrist (both self-employed and employed doctors) had an annual net income of $135,484 in 2007. Compare that to $134,680 in 2004. That's an increase of less than 1%. (Bear in mind that we changed our survey methodology: For our 2004 survey, we sent 1,500 questionnaires by U.S. Mail, and 230 optometrists responded. For our 2007 survey, we e-mailed more than 22,000 optometrists, and 548 responded.)

Very extreme salaries, either very high or very low, can skew the average income. So, median income—the midpoint amount of all responses—may provide a better snapshot of the typical optometrist's income. Among all O.D.s, median net income was $120,000 in 2007, compared with $117,000 in 2004—an increase of 2.6%.

These all indicate that 55k is a definitely possible but unlikely income for an optometrist. I have also never heard of any anecdotal evidence to suggest that someone would start at 55k, but this is just in my experience. Even many of the optometrists that come on here and complain about optometry being a mistake for them claim to make good money as an optometrist. What have I found? Few optometrists are rich and this may not be the right profession for you if that's what you're looking for, but not one OD I know is starving. Everyone should do some research on their own by talking to optometrists in their neighborhood that they know.

Please do not go on proselytizing about optometry's downfalls claiming your opinion to be the "truth" when you have no evidence to cite, and then go on to criticize and debase other viewpoints as flawed, biased, or illogical. This goes out to anyone who wishes to engage in a fair discussion about optometry: please do so with reason, logic, sources (that aren't 11 years old), and a little mutual respect for your colleagues.

A word of advice to all students investigating optometry as a potential career, approach each opinion with a healthy dose of cynicism and take the initiative to discriminate between fact and fiction on your own, a distinction that is often blurred on these anonymous forums.

and let's not forget that there are many female ODs who work part-time so they can spend more time with their kids/families. And, there are actually a number of ODs who just prefer working part-time (I shadowed an OD who works 2 days a week for a private practice - she receives nothing from the retail aspect but gets all her exam fees, and in 2008 she made 45k (working only 2 days/week!!!). I know of another OD who works as an associate for a multiOD practice, and she works Mon-Thurs 9:30-2, so that she can take her kids to school in the mornings and not have to put them in child care (oh and she takes 1 month off during the summer(her husband takes the other month off) and she made roughly 50k (AND she saved child care, which is ridiculously expensive). So, these examples would skew averages too.

anyway, I am so tired of reading all this 55k/year nonsense. One of the many great benefits of optometry is that you have a certain degree of flexibility. You can work your schedule around your lifestyle. So, yes there are certain number of people who make 50k a year, but if that means that you work part-time, spend time with your kids, and not pay for child care, then I am all in!

And remember, do all stock brokers make the same salary...NO.... do all real estate agents make the same...No.... do all make-up artists make the same (I'm pretty sure Britney Spear's make-up artist makes a lot more than the girls who work at MAC). And these people all generally take courses/school and learn on the job, so if you think about it, it comes down to personality, opportunities and how you use all your skills (and no just the ones you gain in OD school).

gochi you amaze me. Have you nothing better to do? For a guy who hasn't even been an OD student for a day, you sure have a lot to say about the profession. Close to 1000 posts and you're not even a student, let alone an OD??? Come on. Get a life. If your life consists of just making fun of one profession on their internet message board, you gain my pity. That's a sad life indeed. Go find something to do.

and let's not forget that there are many female ODs who work part-time so they can spend more time with their kids/families. And, there are actually a number of ODs who just prefer working part-time (I shadowed an OD who works 2 days a week for a private practice - she receives nothing from the retail aspect but gets all her exam fees, and in 2008 she made 45k (working only 2 days/week!!!). I know of another OD who works as an associate for a multiOD practice, and she works Mon-Thurs 9:30-2, so that she can take her kids to school in the mornings and not have to put them in child care (oh and she takes 1 month off during the summer(her husband takes the other month off) and she made roughly 50k (AND she saved child care, which is ridiculously expensive). So, these examples would skew averages too.

anyway, I am so tired of reading all this 55k/year nonsense. One of the many great benefits of optometry is that you have a certain degree of flexibility. You can work your schedule around your lifestyle. So, yes there are certain number of people who make 50k a year, but if that means that you work part-time, spend time with your kids, and not pay for child care, then I am all in!

And remember, do all stock brokers make the same salary...NO.... do all real estate agents make the same...No.... do all make-up artists make the same (I'm pretty sure Britney Spear's make-up artist makes a lot more than the girls who work at MAC). And these people all generally take courses/school and learn on the job, so if you think about it, it comes down to personality, opportunities and how you use all your skills (and no just the ones you gain in OD school).

Out of curiosity, how do you know that this OD makes that much while working those hours?

Anyhow, this doesn't prove anything. This OD is still making 55k to pay off 160k in loans.

gochi you amaze me. Have you nothing better to do? For a guy who hasn't even been an OD student for a day, you sure have a lot to say about the profession. Close to 1000 posts and you're not even a student, let alone an OD??? Come on. Get a life. If your life consists of just making fun of one profession on their internet message board, you gain my pity. That's a sad life indeed. Go find something to do.

Oh yea, this is the dude who keeps on defending NOVA because he attends it. You know its a bad school, yet you attend it. Probably, because it was your only acceptance.

Since when was 1000 posts a lot? Your just jealous that my ~1000 posts are of substance while your ~500 posts consist of broken clauses.

I'm not making fun of the profession. And if I were, it would be for a valid reason which you and many others would fail to see because you guys have already committed. Read the first post stupid; a student requested this.

I would agree that a person who does nothing all day besides demote professions has a sad life.
However, it is exponentially more sad, when a pre-opt or a student who is not even interested in optometry knows more about optometry than a student who is attending optometry school. Just imagine how good of a doctor that student will become.

btw, how many times do you ask "1 or 2?" when you are in clinic with patients?

Oh yea, this is the dude who keeps on defending NOVA because he attends it. You know its a bad school, yet you attend it. Probably, because it was your only acceptance.

Since when was 1000 posts a lot? Your just jealous that my ~1000 posts are of substance while your ~500 posts consist of broken clauses.

I'm not making fun of the profession. And if I were, it would be for a valid reason which you and many others would fail to see because you guys have already committed. Read the first post stupid; a student requested this.

I would agree that a person who does nothing all day besides demote professions has a sad life.
However, it is exponentially more sad, when a pre-opt or a student who is not even interested in optometry knows more about optometry than a student who is attending optometry school. Just imagine how good of a doctor that student will become.

btw, how many times do you ask "1 or 2?" when you are in clinic with patients?

Then go find a message board with people who share your interest of English and trolling. Leave us alone. No one wants you here. You just keep repeating yourself and bringing this board down.

Man this sounds just like the pharm boards....i would suggest that anyone considering one of the other professional healthcare degrees to make absolutely certain that you do not want to be a MD....because you will end up bitter and mad that you didnt go for it when you were young....i can not stress this enough

Then go find a message board with people who share your interest of English and trolling. Leave us alone. No one wants you here. You just keep repeating yourself and bringing this board down.

Since when was SDN run by a democracy :laugh:

How am I trolling you idiot?

Like I said, a student requested information about optometry and that is what I am doing. If you genuinely care about optometry than I suggest you post facts negating my original post. If not, then quit your whining and post in all the irrelevant threads with broken clauses.

It is cumbersome to sift through good information and all the junk that has been posted in between.

Everybody please use the "caution" button at the bottom left corner of all offensive posts. As responsible SDN members, we are to report posts that are "spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude)"

Please don't fight. Please do report all problematic posts you find. Thanks.

It is cumbersome to sift through good information and all the junk that has been posted in between.

Everybody please use the "caution" button at the bottom left corner of all offensive posts. As responsible SDN members, we are to report posts that are "spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude)"

Please don't fight. Please do report all problematic posts you find. Thanks.

You only need to read the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.