Are you Invisalign certified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLIMDEETS

Temple Dental
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone Invisalign certified? Please comment on your likes and dislikes, actual clinical applications, cost and return ect....Have you encountered any legalities with advertising? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

Your comments would be most helpful :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

SLIMDEETS said:
Anyone Invisalign certified? Please comment on your likes and dislikes, actual clinical applications, cost and return ect....Have you encountered any legalities with advertising? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

Your comments would be most helpful :smuggrin:

One thing I have heard through the grapevine is that the lab costs you as a dentist pay are around $2000, and they basically do 95% of the work for you minus taking the impression, approving the plan, and doing the monthly checkups. This 2000 doesn't sound so bad when some people charge upwards of $7000 for it in private practice. On the other topics, I do know Invisalign is not as accurate as braces, but they can be a great option for many people, I actually started wearing them 2 months ago and they are great from a patient perspective. Once I open up practice I will definately have invisalign as part of it.

bu2008 said:
One thing I have heard through the grapevine is that the lab costs you as a dentist pay are around $2000, and they basically do 95% of the work for you minus taking the impression, approving the plan, and doing the monthly checkups. This 2000 doesn't sound so bad when some people charge upwards of $7000 for it in private practice. On the other topics, I do know Invisalign is not as accurate as braces, but they can be a great option for many people, I actually started wearing them 2 months ago and they are great from a patient perspective. Once I open up practice I will definately have invisalign as part of it.

the lab work is now as cheap as 1350, but how come ortho arent kicking up trouble about gps using it? do many gps do conventional ortho?

Members don't see this ad :)
lab costs are 1400-1800 depending on the length of treatment. I would imagine that costs may actually go down too since there is going to be some compitition in the future.

A company called Ortho-Clear which is founded by the same guy that invented invisalign will be fabricating similar type of retainers for orthodontists and dentists.

As an orthodontist trained in edgewise treatment mechanics I must admit that I am biased against Invisalign. That being said, I have treated many patients with Invisalign and the treatment outcome is very unpredictable. Some patients obtain a great result, and others obtain a result with Invisalign alone that fails to meet the standard of care (IMO). Whereas, I ALWAYS get were I need to be with edgewise treatment.

The lab fee for upper and lower arches is $1800 irrespective of the number of aligners. Patients must still undergo supervised tooth movement, and in many cases Invisalign patients require more chair time than a 2 arch--arch wire change (eg. backtracking aligners to figure out when the patient stopped wearing the aligners as instructed, rebonding attachments, extensive interproximal reduction, etc...)

I happen to think that Invisalign BELONGS in the hands of GP's for limited treatment in adults, with no underlying skeletal discrepancy, and REALISTIC expectations on treatment outcome. I do have a problem with Align Technologies asserting that their appliance is as effective as braces, and in some instances "better than traditional braces" especially since there have been VERY few studies in refereed journals evaluating their effectiveness.

Ben White, DDS, MSD

drben said:
As an orthodontist trained in edgewise treatment mechanics I must admit that I am biased against Invisalign. That being said, I have treated many patients with Invisalign and the treatment outcome is very unpredictable. Some patients obtain a great result, and others obtain a result with Invisalign alone that fails to meet the standard of care (IMO). Whereas, I ALWAYS get were I need to be with edgewise treatment.

The lab fee for upper and lower arches is $1800 irrespective of the number of aligners. Patients must still undergo supervised tooth movement, and in many cases Invisalign patients require more chair time than a 2 arch--arch wire change (eg. backtracking aligners to figure out when the patient stopped wearing the aligners as instructed, rebonding attachments, extensive interproximal reduction, etc...)

I happen to think that Invisalign BELONGS in the hands of GP's for limited treatment in adults, with no underlying skeletal discrepancy, and REALISTIC expectations on treatment outcome. I do have a problem with Align Technologies asserting that their appliance is as effective as braces, and in some instances "better than traditional braces" especially since there have been VERY few studies in refereed journals evaluating their effectiveness.

Ben White, DDS, MSD[/QUOTE

thanks for the info...................

Every orthodontist I know (about 10) who is "certified" in this only uses it to get patients in their chairs. Then they explain to them that Invisalign won't work for them and they need real braces. It seems like the Orthos/GPs who actually use it are just wide-eyed suckers for advertising like the general public.

I'm ceritifed...going into my 4th year of school...Have yet to use the system due to patient base....basically they can't afford to get braces of any sort. Our school (Temple) conducted a class through Align tech who runs and owns Invisalign this past Spring. I didn't pay a dime for it, so I guess I saved myself about 1500 once I get out of school, but who knows if I will make use of it.....just my input

Temple 2006 said:
I'm ceritifed...going into my 4th year of school...Have yet to use the system due to patient base....basically they can't afford to get braces of any sort. Our school (Temple) conducted a class through Align tech who runs and owns Invisalign this past Spring. I didn't pay a dime for it, so I guess I saved myself about 1500 once I get out of school, but who knows if I will make use of it.....just my input

Dr. Shuman w Align Tech certified you I presume...........