Are you now required to disclose even an expunged record to the PA Medical Board?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedoxRx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
An incident occurred back in 2011 in Ohio that was caused by a mental illness. I was young. So, I stupidly plead guilty and was convicted. The misdemeanor charge was "false info to obtain Ohio OL" or providing false info to obtain Ohio driver's license, but it was due to a mental illness. I have been treated for the illness and have fully recovered. The misdemeanor charge/record was expunged in 2016.

Pennsylvania changed their licensing rules in February of this year (2018). In the past, with the Pennsylvania Medical Board and with their paper applications, you were not required to disclose expunged records. Is this still the case today after the modifications of the rules and their fully online PALS application system? If not, what are my chances of getting a MD license? Has anyone in a similar situation with an expunged record applied recently to the Pennsylvania Medical Board for a MD license and got it. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

How does mental illness cause you to lie on a driver's license application?

An arrest, conviction, etc does not necessarily preclude you from being licensed. I know a physician who was on parole during college and he still went to med school and has been licensed for 40+ years (the crime was related to civil disobedience in the south in the 60s so he may have been cut some slack by the licensing board). Every case is a judgment call by the licensing board.

Reactions: 1 user