Are you taking your books with you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jun99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is planning to take any of their undergrad text books with them to pharmacy school...will those chem and bio books come in handy or will they just be taking up space?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be taking them with me when I move, but I'm certainly not bringing them to class with me. The exception to that would possibly be my Med Chem book, but even then only to the extent it proves useful.

Does anyone have any suggestion about what to do with old random textbooks.. ie Western Civilization (old old edition)

Is there a place you can sell this (even for like 2 bucks..) or to donate .. i cant imagine anyone reading some of these books i have for pleasure

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any suggestion about what to do with old random textbooks.. ie Western Civilization (old old edition)

Is there a place you can sell this (even for like 2 bucks..) or to donate .. i cant imagine anyone reading some of these books i have for pleasure

Hey there,

I've been buying and selling my used text books through half.com and ebay since my freshman year of undergrad. I can only comment on the two sites that I have used but I know there are a ton of other sites on the net just for used book sales. They probably can be easily found via a quick google search.

I prefer selling my ol' books through ebay because 99.9% of the time people end up overpay for everything on Ebay. :D Half.com tends to simply give you a fair market value for the text but can helpfully be used as a great reference to determine a good starting auction price on ebay.

Best of luck!

-PmP

Selling all of my books and keeping none. You won't need them cause you will have new ones with all of the info.

You can also sell used books on Amazon. I have a friend who made about $2000 selling a ton of his books (mostly fiction books, but I'm sure textbooks would sell too). He was shocked at some of the really obscure books that people bought from him....

I most likely won't be moving since I live 5 miles from LLU but I do not plan on selling any of my Bio/Chem books. Mostly this is because I am always impressed when I go to my Prof. office and see a whole wall full of text books. Im sure we will aquire enough books through Pharm school to get through. I can't see how my undergrad A & P book could be better then what ever we will have to use next year, but you never know

I vote for donating them! You can always give them to your local library...that way HS students could use as reference materials if they're writing a paper, home-schooled students might use for additional study materials, or local shelters can use for adult education programs, etc.

Or you could put them in the front yard with a big FREE sign and chances are some pack-rat will pick 'em up :)

At the very least, toss them in a recycle bag...

Here's a couple reasons why you shouldn't sell those old text books:

1. They're usually not worth a quarter of what you paid for them new.

2. When you learn something new in grad school, those old texts have often covered it in broader terms that are easier to understand. After a few years in grad school, those undergrad texts read like Discover magazine. You won't get the details, but you'll get an overview that'll help you delve into the new material faster.

3. You don't know what kind of crap texts your future grad school is going to use. (Example: My grad school uses Voet and Voet for a biochem text. Voet and Voet is good, but Lehninger is really the best text out there. I know this because it's what my advanced undergrad biochem course used, and thank god I kept it.)

4. Grad school classes build upon the basics that you learned in undergrad. Remember that test you bombed in gen chem freshman year? You know,it was on that section that the teacher didn't teach very well, and you never quite understood the material. Well, as it turns out, that section is absolutely KEY to understanding one of your future graduate courses. Trust me, it is. And without your texts to review that section, where are you gonna be?

So don't throw away or sell your old texts, it'll save you a lot of hastle in the long run.

Just wondering if anyone is planning to take any of their undergrad text books with them to pharmacy school...will those chem and bio books come in handy or will they just be taking up space?

Just keep 2 books: Organic Chemistry + Human Physiology.

Here's a couple reasons why you shouldn't sell those old text books:

1. They're usually not worth a quarter of what you paid for them new.

2. When you learn something new in grad school, those old texts have often covered it in broader terms that are easier to understand. After a few years in grad school, those undergrad texts read like Discover magazine. You won't get the details, but you'll get an overview that'll help you delve into the new material faster.

3. You don't know what kind of crap texts your future grad school is going to use. (Example: My grad school uses Voet and Voet for a biochem text. Voet and Voet is good, but Lehninger is really the best text out there. I know this because it's what my advanced undergrad biochem course used, and thank god I kept it.)

4. Grad school classes build upon the basics that you learned in undergrad. Remember that test you bombed in gen chem freshman year? You know,it was on that section that the teacher didn't teach very well, and you never quite understood the material. Well, as it turns out, that section is absolutely KEY to understanding one of your future graduate courses. Trust me, it is. And without your texts to review that section, where are you gonna be?

So don't throw away or sell your old texts, it'll save you a lot of hastle in the long run.

I still have my Voet/Voet biochem book. I also have that test that I didn't do so well on, just in case I wanted to see what kind of problems there were. Of course I am a major pack-rat.