Are You Turning Down Acceptances Yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacAttack66

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I am wondering if it's too soon to notify a school that you'll be turning down their acceptance?

I just feel that to be considerate to those who are now waitlisted or who have post December interviews, I should notify the one school where I know I will not be accepting.

Is it too soon to do this or are others already contacting the schools with denials of acceptances?

Also, if people do this, I think it would be great to post on the forum which schools so that those waiting can see some movement.

I will be turning down my acceptance at Western.

I was accepted at another school that I prefer over them, plus I have several other interviews coming up that are at schools I'd choose over Western. I'm going to go ahead and put my deposit down (on this first one where I'm accepted) and then hope for more acceptances.

What's your plan (if you don't mind sharing) and are how soon are you contacting the schools you'll be turning down?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, some schools will offer scholarships in the acceptance package they mail you. You should wait until that comes through before making any decisions

Reactions: 1 users
From what I understand, some schools will offer scholarships in the acceptance package they mail you. You should wait until that comes through before making any decisions
Good point. Do all schools offer scholarships? Is there somewhere I can check on that?

Thanks in advance for any help on this :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. Do all schools offer scholarships? Is there somewhere I can check on that?

Thanks in advance for any help on this :)
Most schools offer scholarships! You can check up on that on their website under the financial aid section

I agree with @BasicG . I would wait until receiving the packages. I think some schools don't continue to accept candidates during December anyway since they close for the holiday break.

I would wait a few weeks, no point in rushing.

As other posters said several schools waited a week or two to offer me scholarships.

My fiancé wanted to reject UMKC because OOS tuition was much higher than schools like Minnesota, Colorado, etc. Guess what? Her acceptance package came in the mail today and she was offered the dean's scholarship, which covers the OOS tuition difference...so now she has instate tuition. Thank god she didn't decline the acceptance offer lol

UMKC is now 70k cheaper than Minnesota, which was our cheapest option before the scholarship.

Reactions: 5 users
My fiancé wanted to reject UMKC because OOS tuition was much higher than schools like Minnesota, Colorado, etc. Guess what? Her acceptance package came in the mail today and she was offered the dean's scholarship, which covers the OOS tuition difference...so now she has instate tuition. Thank god she didn't decline the acceptance offer lol

UMKC is now 70k cheaper than Minnesota, which was our cheapest option before the scholarship.
Wow! Good for them!!! :)

So, is that where you’re both going?

Wow! Good for them!!! :)

So, is that where you’re both going?
Probably! With how cheap UMKC is, it is now feasible for me and her to go to dental school without the HPSP scholarship. We have a lot to think about lol

Reactions: 3 users
Probably! With how cheap UMKC is, it is now feasible for me and her to go to dental school without the HPSP scholarship. We have a lot to think about lol

WOW! That is incredible news! I heard UMKC does a good job preparing their students for general practice! I am so happy for both of you! :)

I saw that you also received a scholarship for UMKC!!!

Congratulations! Sounds like that's where you're headed :laugh:

Best of luck to you both.

I am wondering if it's too soon to notify a school that you'll be turning down their acceptance?

I just feel that to be considerate to those who are now waitlisted or who have post December interviews, I should notify the one school where I know I will not be accepting.

Is it too soon to do this or are others already contacting the schools with denials of acceptances?

Also, if people do this, I think it would be great to post on the forum which schools so that those waiting can see some movement.

I will be turning down my acceptance at Western.

I was accepted at another school that I prefer over them, plus I have several other interviews coming up that are at schools I'd choose over Western. I'm going to go ahead and put my deposit down (on this first one where I'm accepted) and then hope for more acceptances.

What's your plan (if you don't mind sharing) and are how soon are you contacting the schools you'll be turning down?

Like what other people said. The mail should come in within the first week if you are waiting to see the scholarship offer in person. But if you know which school you want to go, I would go with that as my final choice. Most schools will offer the scholarship with the acceptance in the mail.