Area/zipcodes with fewest psychiatrists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MellowYellowCA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to look up zip codes or neighborhoods in which there are few psychiatrists (especially child psych) practicing already? I know inner city and rural areas are always in need of physicians, and almost anywhere is in need of child psychs, but I mean besides that … I am taking that into account as to where I should live and set up a practice where there is a huge need (and I am looking for more suburb areas, not inner city or rural). For example, is there is a website to which physicians are required to report their office location? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyway to look up zip codes or neighborhoods in which there are few psychiatrists (especially child psych) practicing already? I know inner city and rural areas are always in need of physicians, and almost anywhere is in need of child psychs, but I mean besides that … I am taking that into account as to where I should live and set up a practice where there is a huge need (and I am looking for more suburb areas, not inner city or rural). For example, is there is a website to which physicians are required to report their office location? Thanks!

State licensing boards.

But keep in mind that zip codes aren't population-based. E.G. you may have many psychiatrists concentrated in a downtown area where relatively few people actually live, etc.

State licensing boards.

But keep in mind that zip codes aren't population-based. E.G. you may have many psychiatrists concentrated in a downtown area where relatively few people actually live, etc.

Thanks OPD! So psychiatrists have to report to state lisencing boards what zip code they have set up their practice? Are these records / listings online for me to view?

Members don't see this ad :)
so maybe google searching a zip code and the word psychiatrist, or the yellow pages are the best option. I would have though there are directories or something accessibly to other psychiatrists?

I looked into this when I had the grandiose notion of setting up shop in the most underserved areas possible in the hopes of building a psychiatric empire. And yes for you Cruise followers, my intent was purely evil and I was going to have Legion of Doom style meetings (Kidding on the latter but not the empire part).

I could not find any easy source of data that easily disseminated which were the most scarce source of psychiatrists.

I did find random bits. E.g. Iowa is one of the most underserved states in the country, but nothing that allowed me a list that ranked areas.

I believe the APA could help in this regard, but I really don't know of a good source. I do recall seeing a website (and I don't remember the address) that gave a list of underserved areas but it was not broken down to locality that made the site for all intents and purposes useless.

E.g. Iowa, while being a very underserved state is not like that in all parts of it. Some parts actually have a decent amount. You could move to Iowa and find out you're not in an underserved area months down the road after you've already decided not to leave.

I would rather concentrate on the zip codes where there are the fewest lawyers.

Western Illinois. There is one psychiatrist within this like... 10 mile radius. And there is a pretty big city (Quad Cities) nearby where I wish to live one day. The psychiatrist now drives back and forth from here and there. Probably does very well.

my guess, the Dakotas :)

My in-laws live in Iowa. One time visiting them, a relative gave me a wanted ad she saw.

The ad was requesting a psychiatrist, even outside of Iowa, to fly into Iowa on 1-3 weekends a month (all expenses and lodging paid) to do 1 day of work. The pay was tremendous for what would've amounted to just a few days of work a month, over 50K.

That's how desperate that area of Iowa was. I don't now how the eff that place could end up paying a psychiatrist that amount.

But getting to my point that doesn't mean you can just go to Iowa and expect the money to fall in your pocket. It's not like this in all areas of the state. There was no easy way to figure out what were the areas to go to being outside the state and not hearing the locals.

Thanks, zenman. I feel dumb for asking, because that site seems like it should be helpful, but I don't quite understand. For example, Los Angeles county should have many underserved areas, which I do see on that page when I type in LA county, California. However, on the list of those undeserved Los Angeles areas pops up "Palos Verdes" which anyone who has spent time living in Southern California knows it is one of the wealthiest area in the U.S. ??

Also, it seems the website may be for any healthcare professional, perhaps not specifically physicians, and esp not specifically psychiatrists, but still seems like a great site, thanks!

My in-laws live in Iowa. One time visiting them, a relative gave me a wanted ad she saw.

The ad was requesting a psychiatrist, even outside of Iowa, to fly into Iowa on 1-3 weekends a month (all expenses and lodging paid) to do 1 day of work. The pay was tremendous for what would've amounted to just a few days of work a month, over 50K.

That's crazy!

If you count in traveling time, it comes out to about $1000 per day. Sounds like they were offering a fair but not excessive amount.

Thanks, zenman. I feel dumb for asking, because that site seems like it should be helpful, but I don't quite understand. For example, Los Angeles county should have many underserved areas, which I do see on that page when I type in LA county, California. However, on the list of those undeserved Los Angeles areas pops up "Palos Verdes" which anyone who has spent time living in Southern California knows it is one of the wealthiest area in the U.S. ??

Also, it seems the website may be for any healthcare professional, perhaps not specifically physicians, and esp not specifically psychiatrists, but still seems like a great site, thanks!

That's crazy!

Bump

For example, Los Angeles county should have many underserved areas, which I do see on that page when I type in LA county, California. However, on the list of those undeserved Los Angeles areas pops up "Palos Verdes" which anyone who has spent time living in Southern California knows it is one of the wealthiest area in the U.S. ??
Palos Verdes is largely a wealthy bedroom community. You're not going to see a lot of medical groups at the end of cul de sacs. Local healthcare providers are probably outside the immediate area in commercially zoned blocks.

If you count in traveling time, it comes out to about $1000 per day. Sounds like they were offering a fair but not excessive amount.

I forgot the exact amounts, but I do recall it being more than $1000 a day (more like around $1500), but when you factor in they were willing to keep in you a hotel, pay for your travel and lodging, that came out to a heck of a lot or money on their end.

Palos Verdes is largely a wealthy bedroom community. You're not going to see a lot of medical groups at the end of cul de sacs. Local healthcare providers are probably outside the immediate area in commercially zoned blocks.

so psychiatrists who want to see patients out of their home office can't live there?

so psychiatrists who want to see patients out of their home office can't live there?

That's not the point of notdead's comment--true, if you want to see patients from a home office (and have patients knowing exactly where you live...eeyew!) that is not prohibited--except possibly by local zoning ordinance. The point is, not many medical groups are going to locate in predominately residential areas. You're just simply more likely to see medical practitioners, even solo private practices, clustered in commercial office buildings.