Arizona Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TypicalTuesday

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I did a search on Arizona programs and looked on scutwork.com, but found surprisingly little. Most of the info on UA was bleak and St. Joes was said to be "extremely unstructured", whatever that means.

Does anyone have any up to date info on either of these programs? (strength of training, overall atmosphere, etc. etc.)

I know a lot of MS4s probably have their minds on something else right now, but if anyone rotated/interviewed in AZ, I'd appreciate some info.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that no one had responded and felt bad, so I thought I would contribute some info which may or may not be useful.

I have not rotated or interviewed at either program.

However, this week at USCAP I met a number of the residents from UA. All of them were very nice, fun, and laid back, and just from meeting them this week, it seems like at the very least, the residents would be excellent to work with. I also know at least one of the third years has a great fellowship lined up.

The other thing that really impressed me was that the program at UA makes a great effort to send their residents to USCAP. Almost all of their residents were here for at least a few days and I think they get to go every year. To me, that is a really good sign that the program cares about their residents.

So like I said, this may be skewed, and probably doesn't have all the info you want, but I hope it helps.

If you are interested apply and visit there. And ask lots of questions. Sometimes when residents are laid back and fun it means they are not working very hard (and possibly not learning very much). Sometimes it means the program is supportive and they are learning a lot. It's hard to tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at U of A when I was applying for residency, but I don't have too much information to offer. One of the things that comes to mind is that they do a fair amount of telepathology.

My primary reason for applying to their program was their proximity to California. I wanted to return to CA for residency & if I couldn't, I wanted to be a short flight away. I didn't rank them particular high because I couldn't see myself living in Tucson. If the program were in Phoenix, that may be a different story.

----- Antony

I interviewed at U of A when I was applying for residency, but I don't have too much information to offer. One of the things that comes to mind is that they do a fair amount of telepathology.

My primary reason for applying to their program was their proximity to California. I wanted to return to CA for residency & if I couldn't, I wanted to be a short flight away. I didn't rank them particular high because I couldn't see myself living in Tucson. If the program were in Phoenix, that may be a different story.

----- Antony

"I'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona." Name the show the quote comes from.