Arizona School of Podiatric Medicine (AZPOD) - Q&A 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pod Dude

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Prospective Students and Incoming Students,

I am currently Podiatric Medical Student at AZPOD. I will answer any questions you may have about the school.

AZPOD Updated 2020:

Curriculum: Click Here
  1. Pre-clinical sciences are taken with DO students.
  2. First-year students will be assigned to a faculty mentor, who will guide the students throughout 4 years of medical school.
  3. First-year students will also be matched with second-year students.
  4. Research Scholarships are offered to those who would like to do research
  5. MWU has an open-door policy to allow students to have easy access to professors.
  6. Many different clubs and intramural sports.
  7. Early clinical experience via free clinics for community and special Olympic events
  8. New Podiatric Learning Center - Opened in Fall 2019
  9. Currently in the transition of becoming an Independent College of Podiatric Medicine within Midwestern University.
  10. Class of 2020 - 100% Match

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, thanks for opening this chat. I have a few questions.

1. What is the class profile of that in the class of 2024? (GPA, MCAT, etc)

2. I am from the Midwest, Ohio specifically. Does AZPOD tend to lean towards applicants who live out West, or is everyone viewed holistically?

Thank you!

2. I am from the Midwest, Ohio specifically. Does AZPOD tend to lean towards applicants who live out West, or is everyone viewed holistically?

Thank you!

1. Currently, we don't have the class profile for the Class of 2024 as we are still considering applicants. I can give you a definitive answer in August when the class of 2024 starts their first week. However, the Class of 2023 profile was GPA ~ 3.65 average and MCAT ~ 503 average.
2. AZPOD has a holistic application review. Your application will be considered as equal to those from the West Coast.

Good luck with your application! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you!

We had plenty of classmates from the Midwest including me. Also the dean is originally from Wisconsin so I personally think he favors Packer fans.... lol

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for doing this! Currently AZpod is my first choice. The main thing that hasn't been answered too much (if at all) is the housing situation. Is it easy to find housing? Living alone possible without too much debt burden?

Thanks for doing this! Currently AZpod is my first choice. The main thing that hasn't been answered too much (if at all) is the housing situation. Is it easy to find housing? Living alone possible without too much debt burden?
We have campus apartments that can be applied via the portal when you get accepted to Midwestern. I would suggest applying right away when you get accepted.
Off-campus housing: depend on how far from the campus you like to live, the rent cost can be a bit cheaper to save you some money. It is possible to live alone without spending too much student loan. However, if you are comfortable to have a roommate, especially people from your class, the cost will definitely be cheaper.

AZ has one of the lowest living costs in all 9 schools.
There is a 3000 club grocery sale every Saturday nearby the school, where you can get all of your grocery for 10 bucks.
You can also apply a discount for your electric bill because you are a student and don't make money while in school.

I'm wondering how much of your curriculum is with the DO students?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile

I'm wondering how much of your curriculum is with the DO students?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile

All the basic sciences will be w/ the DO students. POD and DO will take the same exams. All the exam questions are USMLE/COMLEX derived questions. However, while the DO students have their Clinical Medicine (ICM) and OMM, POD students will have our own Clinical Medicine classes and Podiatry related classes like Biomechanics, Pathobiomechanics, and Surgery. Let me know if you have any further questions about our curriculum.

DO: Curriculum
POD: Curriculum

Reactions: 2 users
Random Update # 2:
Besides having an open-door policy to interact w/ our amazing faculties, we also like to open our school to all prospective students to check out what is new at AZPOD, A day in the life of being a medical student at AZPOD, and more..... Please check out our Instagram and Facebook:

Instagram: mwupodiatry - MWU AZPod (@mwupodiatry) • Instagram photos and videos
Facebook: Arizona School of Podiatric Medicine

Please feel free to ask anything you want to know about AZPOD by posting your awesome questions here!!!

Last edited:
Will Midwestern ever make a College of Podiatric Medicine? From my understanding, the podiatry program is under the College of Health Sciences.

Will Midwestern ever make a College of Podiatric Medicine? From my understanding, the podiatry program is under the College of Health Sciences.
We are currently in the transition of becoming an independent college but we are still an extension of Midwestern University. The progress of becoming the college is currently projected to be done by 2021.

Do they have age-limits on pre-requisites? My science pre-reqs are all from 2012-2015.

Do they have age-limits on pre-requisites? My science pre-reqs are all from 2012-2015.

Hi there,
I know there is a number of years limit on the science pre-requisites. However, your science courses are fairly recent. I would strongly suggest you check w/ the Admission Ofice at MWU to see if you need to do any refresher courses. Please reach out to Ms. Jennifer Bessette. She is the main Podiatric Medicine Program Counselor at Midwestern University, Glendale. Her contact info is below:

Phone: 623-572-3296
Email: [email protected]

PS: When I applied to Podiatry School last year, my science courses were taken from 2011-2015.

Good luck with your application!

Does she have any preferences how I contact her?

Does she have any preferences how I contact her?
I would suggest emailing her as she responds email faster. If she has not responded within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

Good luck!

Sounds good. Thanks!

Also, is it okay if I send you a private message regarding a personal question about my application?

GREAT NEWS FROM THE AZ HEAT !!!!!

1. Congratulation to the Class of 2022 Passed 100% on APMLE Step 1
2. Arizona School of Podiatric Medicine, which has been housed under the College of Health Science, will officially become an independent college, Arizona College of Podiatric Medicine (AZCPM), at Midwestern University by this Winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
GREAT NEWS FROM THE AZ HEAT !!!!!

1. Congratulation to the Class of 2022 Passed 100% on APMLE Step 1
2. Arizona School of Podiatric Medicine, which has been housed under the College of Health Science, will officially become an independent college, Arizona College of Podiatric Medicine (AZCPM), at Midwestern University by this Winter.

Do you know how many students took the exam?

Status
Not open for further replies.