Arizona vs. UW!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmj2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want some feedback from you guys. I visited ASDOH and I absolutely loved it!! But its also hard to turn down my state school....

what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

The UW has one of the best reputations in the country. I believe they had the best step 2 scores last year. I am not even sure if Arizona is fully accredited or has even graduated a class yet. I would put the UW in the sam tier as UCLA, UNC, UConn, San Antonio, and Harvard.

AZ does have a good program, albiet new ... but i couldn't turn down UW if i were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
AZ is a great program but will a degree from there help you pay back your loans any faster? Probably not, so taking out an extra 100k to attend AZ is something I would think about twice.

I sometimes wonder what the HECK is wrong with people like YOU. You would rather dish out the big bucks to go to a different school than have dirt (not quite dirt) cheap tuition. I would almost kill to pay that cheap of tuition, but my state doesn't have a school. The way I figure is that by going to a cheaper school you aren't so limited and tied down to what and where you have to go and do when you get done. If the tuition is 100k cheaper, and since you got into d school you obviously have a brain, USE IT! Unless 100k is nothing for you? Maybe it isn't, maybe your uncle is Bill Gates or something and he is going to pick up the tab!

There is nothing wrong with me.

I got accepted to UW as an out-of-state resident (even though I have attended undergrad here, due to personal reasons, have not been able to reclassify). Therefore I would pay out-of-state tuition for one year and reclassify for the remaining three years.

It is not always about money. I think the quality of education will be the same at UW or at ASDOH. What I'm concerned is the quality of life. What matters to me most is the students in the class. While visiting ASDOH, I felt most comfortable with the faculty and students.

For those who didn't know this, a hospital just bought land right across from ASDOH. There will be a medical center built by 2007. YMCA will also be built on campus; students will have access to their gym. I learned these information from my interviewers who had just heard it from the Dean of ASDOH .

Many UW students tell me that they are there because of in-state tuition and its reputation. So I'm wondering besides the tuition and its name, why should I choose UW over ASDOH?

asdoh has no reputation, its too new. Be careful with what you hear on interviews.

Although this is only hearsay, on my interview at Arizona, the dean mentioned a case where a student initially enrolled at UW decided to transfer to ASDOH after school had already begun. I had the same feeling you described when visiting Arizona, I definitely think it is the best "fit" for me.

I actually turned down UW over Arizona. Although it was a difficult decision, I'm happy with it. If I was from Seattle, then it would have been a different story. I currently live in Phoenix and I'm a non-traditional student with kids and a spouse. There are several reasons why I chose Arizona over UW, but the most important being practical reasons. My husband has a job here and we have family here, so it's hard to leave those things behind for a cheaper education. I would have paid less at all the schools I was offered since I had scholarships at 2 of them and UW would have granted me in-state after the first year. It seems crazy to turn down cheaper tuition, but if my hb has no job, then I would have to borrow $ for living expenses, so it's a wash.
I truly believe that AZ will provide me with an outstanding education. Taking the first set of boards after the first year and focusing on clinical skills 2nd through 4th years is very appealing to me. In addition, I heard that AZ's curriculum is very similar to UOP's, so this means that I'll be spending a lot more time on honing my clinical skills and gaining some very good experience. Sorry if this is long.

There is no reason to doubt that Arizona will gain a very good reputation before long. But one important factor is to look at the way you are taught. Remember at Arizona that you will have 3 full years of clinical experience after taking your boards the first year. The fourth year will be rotations at different hospitals and clinics. So it has a built in residency in a way. I would consider this if you know that you want to go into primary care. UW students do very well on their boards are are probably better suited to compete for specialties.

You would be absolutely NUTS if you didn't go UW over Arizona. Arizona was nice, sure, but UW is an established school that has shown that their students have been successful. GO TO UW.

sonrisa dentista said:
Although this is only hearsay, on my interview at Arizona, the dean mentioned a case where a student initially enrolled at UW decided to transfer to ASDOH after school had already begun. I had the same feeling you described when visiting Arizona, I definitely think it is the best "fit" for me.

To the OP: this story IS true. His SDN name is "teething". Send him a PM and ask him why he left a full scholarship at UW to attend Arizona. He'll provide some valuable insight into his situation, which you may be able to apply to your situation.

DIRTIE said:
If the tuition is 100k cheaper, and since you got into d school you obviously have a brain, USE IT! Unless 100k is nothing for you?

Students here at Arizona are making 50-75k per YEAR on average on their homes, so that can factor in at a point, if the student is in a situation to build. The appreciation here is roughtly 5-10k a month, depending on location. Many are moving into their second homes already. :D

ItsGavinC said:
Students here at Arizona are making 50-75k per YEAR on average on their homes, so that can factor in at a point, if the student is in a situation to build. The appreciation here is roughtly 5-10k a month, depending on location. Many are moving into their second homes already. :D

I have heard that is true about Vegas too! since that is where I am heading for the fall. I wish that I was in the position to buy. I just think that money should be a factor, if you can make up the difference, or at least some by alternative ways, then Mesa/Gilbert is where I would go too. Who doesn't like Arizona? Nice place to live no doubt. I am also a fan of new facilities (UNLV) especially if you are going to pay 30-40 K a year. So AZ probably wouldn't be a bad choice.

Question: How are these so called "in position to buy" people able to get into a house? Is it with help from a relative? How have students at Arizona done it? It seems like a tough situation, or maybe not?

DIRTIE said:
Question: How are these so called "in position to buy" people able to get into a house? Is it with help from a relative? How have students at Arizona done it? It seems like a tough situation, or maybe not?

Some of them have brought money with them, and others have spouses that work. One really only needs enough money for a down payment, and then is often able to use the loan money to pay the mortgage. Many have found that it's easy to buy/build a home if they tell the loan officer that they are dental students. This seems to ease any concerns over repayment.

It is amazing to see people purchase homes in November of 2003 at $125,000 and then sell in January of 2005 at $245,000.

ItsGavinC said:

It's funny you mention this Gavin, since this exact point was a strong consideration for me. If I'm saving $40-$60K in scholarships from diff. schools over the 4 years, then it's reasonable to say that I'll make at least that in appreciation when I sell my home after school. Excellent point.