Army Active Duty OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tothepark

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

I will most likely (unless I lose a limb in the next few months) be joining the Army active duty as OMFS via FAP. I found out I was recently board-selected and now I'm waiting on the scroll. I hope somebody can shed some light on a couple of things. I understand there are a lot of variability depending on location:

1. How often do active duty oral surgeons go to the OR, or are they mainly doing bread and butter procedures in the clinic?
2. Deployment is about 90 days every 2-3 years during active duty? What can I expect on deployment?
3. Will I be attending BOLC after residency or will I have to find time during residency?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Don't have the answers as I am Navy. But genuinely curious what are your reasons for joining especially if you don't know these seemingly important details already?

Don't have the answers as I am Navy. But genuinely curious what are your reasons for joining especially if you don't know these seemingly important details already?

It is something that I always wanted to do and be a part of. I almost applied for HPSP, but I was 100% set on pursuing a double degree OMFS training.

I have no issues deploying for whatever length time or attending BOLC training at any time, I just want to be prepared and to plan accordingly.

I have asked to speak with an active duty OMFS guy through my recruiter, but for whatever reason it has been hard to set-up.. I just kept pushing forward with my packet. I very much enjoy the bread and butter and the OR, again I just would like some insight. I'm currently planned to be in for only 3 years, and depending on how it is, I can choose to stay in or get out, I'm open to either. I guess you won't truly know if it's for you, until you experienced it firsthand.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) As often as you need - it all depends on what kinds of cases you are treating > obviously that would be something you have to plan/schedule in advance with your hospital, but I don't think there's any set limits
2) 90 days? AFAIK, current deployment timelines vary from 6-9 months. Whether you get deployed or not also depends on how things play out to you. Every deployment is different, but its an experience you will never forget - something you can be proud of for the rest of your life.
3) Depends on whether you are allowed to go by your program (as in it being officially approved by your program director) - if not, then you will do it after graduation

Just so you know, you are not alone. I had two active duty OMFS that applied for an active duty OMFS position in the Army. The first one already boarded this last month and is awaiting the selection and the other one will board in September. Have you talked to MAJ Villacarlos the Army Dentistry Liaison for USAREC or any other resources? Any way send me a private message and I will get you in touch with someone who can answer all your questions.