Army AEGD odds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ_Doc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I’m a current D2 class of 2025 on an army scholarship and wondering how to be competitive for AEGD slots? I only have a 3.0 and around 70th percentile class rank. I haven’t seen any current information about army AEGD program odds and how competitive they are. Please let me know if anyone has up to date information. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Get your GPA up. Not everyone gets selected, and those that do often turn it down because they are selected for a different residency or because they don't want to serve the additional year. You probably have less than a 50% chance with that GPA though.

Nothing in the Army makes sense. My good buddy, one of the smartest people I’ve ever met, didn’t get in to the 1yr but he got into OMS, crushed it and is pursuing fellowship training. The people who’ve done both the 1 and 2 yr usually say they did more and better clinical dentistry in the 1 vs 2yr. The 2yr has become the way out for people who couldn’t hack it outside, want command, need promotion (insane number of LTCs being selected) etc. Logic need not apply in the Army.

If you actually want the 1yr then use one of your ADTs to extern at a program and get a good letter of rec and you’ll most likely get in no problem. The Army loves metrics but it’s still a good ol boy system at the end of the day.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent you a PM.

I think generally if you actually want to do the AEGD1, you'll get it.

something like 56 get it out of 85...but if you consider some of those applied to other specialties and others decline, you'd guess its somewhere near 100%

Reactions: 1 user
I did want to do it. Didn’t get accepted but now, extremely happy I didn’t do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you mind sharing your experience behind your reasoning? I'm just curious.
I’ve never met someone who regretted it. I hate the Army and want to get out ASAP and declining the AEGD will get you out a year earlier. Some posts treat all dentists like dentists, some treat those fresh out of school as amalgam line workers if they’re lucky vs doing 100 exams a day on trainees without touching a hand piece if they’re not.

TLDR: if you don’t do an AEGD you’ll either be regular ****ed by the green weenie at a good post or super ****ed at a bad post

I’ve never met someone who regretted it. I hate the Army and want to get out ASAP and declining the AEGD will get you out a year earlier. Some posts treat all dentists like dentists, some treat those fresh out of school as amalgam line workers if they’re lucky vs doing 100 exams a day on trainees without touching a hand piece if they’re not.

TLDR: if you don’t do an AEGD you’ll either be regular ****ed by the green weenie at a good post or super ****ed at a bad post
I assume it's completely dependent upon the commander/oic with how the dentists are treated?

Do the AEGD if you get a chance. Not only will you get credentialed in molar endo, taking out thirds, crown lengthening, and restoring implants, you may be able to place implants, perform an apico or re-treat endo cases with supervision. As a 1 year grad you do have a high likelihood of getting picked up by a brigade, but this isn't all that bad. Yeah, you'll go to the field and not shower for weeks, but you will also have the opportunity to go to schools like Airborne, Air Assault, and EFMB. You will have more autonomy with your schedule so you can keep your clinical skills up and not do the sick call/exam/DRC2/DRC3 schedule.