Army AEGD with a Low Class Rank??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothless2

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a D4 currently ranked 50/92 in my class +pity+with a 3.64 GPA...my extracurriculars are lacking and I'm not prior service...pretty much focused on just surviving dental school these last few years.

I've read that selection for a 1yr AEGD is heavily weighted on class rank, GPA, and prior service.
For folks that have completed this residency, are my stats a lost cause? Just curious on the competitiveness and how people can stand out beyond the stats when dental school has been just a LITTLE bit time consuming for resume fluffer opportunities...

Thanks for the feedback!
:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

There’s only a handful of people that don’t get selected and actually wanted to, and with your stats I think you’ll be fine. my opinion doesn’t carry much weight though as I am still a student as well but from what I’ve seen and spoken to residents if you are around middle of your class and ok stats and want a slot you will get it.

The Army would like for all of their new grads to do a 1 year AEGD. The goal is to accept and have all new dentists attend these programs. By the time you account for the new grads going straight to residency and those that opt out of the program, most that were actually wanting to attend are given the opportunity.

Do your best, but don't sweat about it too much. If you don't get in, you could get off the waitlist or even make a few calls to see if you can be added to a class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just calibrating your expectations now: nothing in the Army makes sense, logic need not apply.

A good buddy of mine got rejected from the AEGD but accepted same year to OMS. Went on to get fellowship trained, probably the smartest surgeon we have ever had.

Can’t predict what they will do with applications, only that it probably won’t make sense

Reactions: 1 users