Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Army Anesthesia

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by HOOAH, Mar 6, 2007.

1. HOOAH

HOOAH Junior Member

Hello,

I recently matched in an unlinked Army Transitional Year program at Madigan. At the time I appiled I was uncertain of what I wanted to do and have recently decided my best fit would be in Anesthesia. For those of you out there who may be in the "know" or who are currently in Anesthesia programs could you please give me an idea of what my chances might be in matching with one of the 2 Anesthesia programs for my PGY-2 year? Or am I pretty much gurenteed a GMO? Thanks for your time, insight, and advice!

Allen

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bogatyr

bogatyr Senior Member

The problem you have is that you are doing your internship at Madigan, where there is no anesthesia residency, so you will be at a disadvantage to those who can spend a month at WRAMC or BAMC. That being said, there is always a chance, but there are usually several GMO-types applying for the 1 or 2 spots at each institution, and you will be at a competitive disadvantage.

4. A question pertaining to this - sorry if this sounds naive, but I was under the impression that the army was offering continuous contracts for anesthesia - which I took to mean that you either matched for the duration of the program or didn't match at all (at which point you would likely end up doing a civilian residency). Obviously this is not the case... If anyone could offer a little bit more of an explanation, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.