Army Comprehensive Dentist-Implants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCoyote47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if all three locations have the 63b residents place implants, or if its just some of them? If it's just some of the locations, which ones are allowing 63b's to place implants as it is very important to what I want my scope of practice to be in the future? Also, what is the payback (year by year breakdown) for doing the 63b program right out of dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that 63b residents place them, as do many 63a residents during their 1 year AEGD. However, it's rare for a 63a or 63b to place them once they get to their first assignment since implants will typically be placed by oral surgeons or periodontists.

I was wondering if all three locations have the 63b residents place implants, or if its just some of them? If it's just some of the locations, which ones are allowing 63b's to place implants as it is very important to what I want my scope of practice to be in the future? Also, what is the payback (year by year breakdown) for doing the 63b program right out of dental school?

They all place them, and yes most of the 1 year AEGDs will learn too. 63B WILL continue to place them if they want to - not just OMS and perio (and prosth). It's concurrent payback so youll serve your HPSP years while attending the 2-year residency and continue your 2-year obligation for the residency consecutively or after all service obligations are complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
They all place them, and yes most of the 1 year AEGDs will learn too. 63B WILL continue to place them if they want to - not just OMS and perio (and prosth). It's concurrent payback so youll serve your HPSP years while attending the 2-year residency and continue your 2-year obligation for the residency consecutively or after all service obligations are complete.
Can 63A's or is that solely based on the location?

Can 63A's or is that solely based on the location?

It is not typical that 63A would place them after residency. If you placed enough and your mentors felt you were proficient and granted you privileges then maybe.