Army Family Med/Psychiatry residency at Tripler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armydoctobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Family Medicine/Psychiatry residency at Tripler. How do people like it,etc.

Members don't see this ad.

It no longer exists. I think the last class graduated 5 or 6 years ago. The only remaining combined program is IM/Psych at WRAMC.

I was going to post this elsewhere, but now seems like this would be a good place for the question:

When someone graduates with IM/Psych in the Army, how are they utilized? Would they spend the majority of their career as a psychiatrist or could you choose to work as an internist, but with an ability to diagnose and treat psychiatric illness?

Just curious, since I was asking about the Med/Peds program they have since done away with...

Members don't see this ad :)
It no longer exists. I think the last class graduated 5 or 6 years ago. The only remaining combined program is IM/Psych at WRAMC.

Not true. I know some of the residents currently enrolled in the Tripler FM/Psych program. I don't know if they're going to keep it going, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary either.

colbgw02- is this still true? Do they still have FM/Psych residency at TAMC?

Thanks!

I was going to post this elsewhere, but now seems like this would be a good place for the question:

When someone graduates with IM/Psych in the Army, how are they utilized? Would they spend the majority of their career as a psychiatrist or could you choose to work as an internist, but with an ability to diagnose and treat psychiatric illness?

Just curious, since I was asking about the Med/Peds program they have since done away with...

I know 2 graduates of the IM/psych program at WRAMC. Both individuals were asked what kind of billet they wanted after graduation. One wanted to be operational and felt that the experience in psychiatry and medicine would make him a more well-rounded and effective brigade surgeon. The other never wanted to practice internal medicine again and specifically asked for a psych billet.

Both complained that in the brave new world of continued recertification for individual specialties, there was essentially no way to maintain certification in both specialties and realized that eventually one would practice one or the other (but not both). But each has told me that they felt the residency has made them more effective and well-rounded in their current billets.