Army GMO Billets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usma05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have read through previous posts and found info on Air Force and Navy GMO billets, but not much on Army GMO slots. It seems like there are not many out there, but does anybody have any info on locations or know someone I could contact who does? I'd doing a transitional year this year, and I'm planning on doing a GMO slot after that. I'd love to be near Nashville the year after for family reasons. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, are all GMO two years? Or are they're varying lengths?

Members don't see this ad.

There are plenty of Army GMO billets out there.

They fall into 2 categories- GMO (62B) and Flight Surgeon (61N) spots.

This year, the push was for non-residency trained folk to go the FS route. This is actually a much better deal. There are a ton of great Aviation slots. If you want to be near Nashville, ask the detailer for a slot with 159 CAB (Combat Aviation brigade) at Fort Campbell. They'll be returning from A'stan in December-January of 2009/2010 and will likely be losing some of their flight docs to residency and or staff billets. You'll have no trouble at all.

All you have to do is pass the Class II Flight Physical. For additional motivation, some of the 62B GMO billets this year were for things like WTU surgeon at Fort Polk and Fort Hood. This is a fate WORSE THAN DEATH. So I would advise you to beg, borrow and steal to become a Flight Doc.

Typical assignment time is 2 yrs, but GME trumps everything, even deployment, so if you get picked up in the next cycle you can pop smoke and stroll back to the MEDCEN. Or stay out with the troops.

Good luck

61N

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, couple more questions.

At what point during my intern year do I work out my GMO year? What is the process and is there someone I should talk to at the hospital I'm working at next year (Tripler) or at Campbell? To do the 61N route, would I do the flight surgeon course at Rucker? Any other advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
For additional motivation, some of the 62B GMO billets this year were for things like WTU surgeon at Fort Polk and Fort Hood. This is a fate WORSE THAN DEATH. So I would advise you to beg, borrow and steal to become a Flight Doc.

I cannot even begin to fathom doing that job. I'm deployed with the 159 and agree that Ft Campbell is the way to go. We have several people who commute from nashville (about 40 mins). As said before, 159 CAB will be returning soon, 101 CAB will be leaving next year, and there's always 160 if the special kind of life appeals to you. For what it's worth, the 159 medical folks are a class group, both incoming and outgoing leadership.

Best of luck.

That would be ideal. I've been in Nashville the past four years; I'd love to come back the year after next. As for the 160; I thought they were only taking individuals in those slots who had completed all of residency, not just intern year?

So I'm a civilian graduating from a Family Med residency and plan to join up with Army. It seems to me that because of my specialty, (or lack therof), I'd most likely be limited to a "GMO" type of billet anyways ... or is that inaccurate? Are my chances for getting stuck with a GMO pretty much high?

or what would be a "non-GMO" billet for an FP who, like an intern, knows only a little about everything, (though I know a little more since I've done residency also?)