Army HPSP Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychologyfiend

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 5 days I have my trip to meps...the question is, am I too fat for the army? I am 6'1" with a current weight of 205 lbs. What happens if I don't make the weight? (I don't know if I will be in the tape either)

If only I had another week...

Members don't see this ad.

Psychologyfiend said:
In 5 days I have my trip to meps...the question is, am I too fat for the army? I am 6'1" with a current weight of 205 lbs. What happens if I don't make the weight? (I don't know if I will be in the tape either)

If only I had another week...

One should read the FAQ...I address this, but just for you 6'1" is: 106+18+78=202

As best I can tell the height/weight requirements for an army officer is 18 lbs above ideal body weight for those under 27 years of age.

Women, Ideal Body Weight is = 105 + (5 * the # of inches above 5 feet tall)
Men, Ideal Body Weight is = 106 + (6 * the # of inches above 5 feet tall)

Be on the safe side, do the following:

1. Eat a very light dinner
2. Don't Eat breakfast that day
3. Defecate and Urinate prior to arriving
4. Take it easy on the fluids the day before (slightly dehydrate yourself, just have a gatorade to drink afterwards...use your brain don't deprive yourself of fluids.

It is fairly easy to drop 3-5 pounds in a couple days that way...

texdrake said:
One should read the FAQ...I address this, but just for you 6'1" is: 106+18+78=202

As best I can tell the height/weight requirements for an army officer is 18 lbs above ideal body weight for those under 27 years of age.

Women, Ideal Body Weight is = 105 + (5 * the # of inches above 5 feet tall)
Men, Ideal Body Weight is = 106 + (6 * the # of inches above 5 feet tall)

Be on the safe side, do the following:

1. Eat a very light dinner
2. Don't Eat breakfast that day
3. Defecate and Urinate prior to arriving
4. Take it easy on the fluids the day before (slightly dehydrate yourself, just have a gatorade to drink afterwards...use your brain don't deprive yourself of fluids.

It is fairly easy to drop 3-5 pounds in a couple days that way...

Thanks for the formula and tips. Sorry for missing the FAQ, I don't wander in to this particular forum much, but now that I am here I will look around a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 6'1 also and weighed in at 210 at MEPS last year, and 205 last month at OBC. I had to get taped both times to estimate body fat. The max allowable body fat is 22% at my ht/wt at age 24. My body fat is usually between 12% and 15% but they estimated 17% with waist and neck tape. Based on my experience, as long as you make tape I'd be surprised if you had any trouble at all. Good luck.

CodeBlueMD said:
I'm 6'1 also and weighed in at 210 at MEPS last year, and 205 last month at OBC. I had to get taped both times to estimate body fat. The max allowable body fat is 22% at my ht/wt at age 24. My body fat is usually between 12% and 15% but they estimated 17% with waist and neck tape. Based on my experience, as long as you make tape I'd be surprised if you had any trouble at all. Good luck.

Tape is the final measure, it is always golden. Problem is, unless you are in pretty good shape, or you are short and stocky, you are more likely to make weight than pass the tape measure.

For those that are unaware, you get weighed first, if you don't make weight they then go the tape route.

For women, you are more likely to make tape than weight from what I was told. I made tapes no problem, but not weight.