• Forums Updates - Thursday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Thursday starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

ARMY HPSP questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mswillia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about the HPSP on this forum and am realy considering it. HOwever I can't help but think about the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is". I'm gonna be going to med school in aug so I kinda need to get things moving if I am going to do thi (I've met with recruiters and stuff already). Here are some of the things that seem vague to me so far:

1) If you do an army residency (FYGME) it IS active duty but counts toward your 4 year IRR duty only?

2) Where does your 4 year active duty have to be done? Can this be done in a VA or is it at an army base only ?

3) Do you even have a choice where you do your active duty?

4) Seeing as how doctor get no physical training (technically not soldiers, or are they) do they tend to get deployed?

5) ONce you complete your IRR and Active Duty you have to resign from the army, in order to not get "activated" down the line?

6) My school factors housing into tuition (42K a year total with 16K of that for "personal" i.e. housing and food and stuff) is the army only going to pay my tuition less the 16K and tell me to use the stipend to cover the rest or will the stipend be in addition to the total coast as dictated by my school (42K)?

7) i have never had any interest in the miltary whatsoever (b/c I'm not a fighter and I'm kind of a spolied only child), HOWEVER I would enjoy being able to help soliders get well as I do value what they do and I'm ok with people telling me what to do to an extent. Realizing i'm gonna be someones bitch in residency anyway I am mainly concerned that I will not be in control of my life in Active duty. Is this something I should be wary of? That being said would u recommend this scholarship/ program to me?

I will post more as I read more. Thanks again to everyone, this forum is very helpful to me in making an EDUCATED desicion for myself, therefore in responding to my questions please be as unbiased as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

mswillia said:
I have been reading a lot about the HPSP on this forum and am realy considering it. HOwever I can't help but think about the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is". I'm gonna be going to med school in aug so I kinda need to get things moving if I am going to do thi (I've met with recruiters and stuff already). Here are some of the things that seem vague to me so far:

1) If you do an army residency (FYGME) it IS active duty but counts toward your 4 year IRR duty only?

2) Where does your 4 year active duty have to be done? Can this be done in a VA or is it at an army base only ?

3) Do you even have a choice where you do your active duty?

4) Seeing as how doctor get no physical training (technically not soldiers, or are they) do they tend to get deployed?

5) ONce you complete your IRR and Active Duty you have to resign from the army, in order to not get "activated" down the line?

6) My school factors housing into tuition (42K a year total with 16K of that for "personal" i.e. housing and food and stuff) is the army only going to pay my tuition less the 16K and tell me to use the stipend to cover the rest or will the stipend be in addition to the total coast as dictated by my school (42K)?

7) i have never had any interest in the miltary whatsoever (b/c I'm not a fighter and I'm kind of a spolied only child), HOWEVER I would enjoy being able to help soliders get well as I do value what they do and I'm ok with people telling me what to do to an extent. Realizing i'm gonna be someones bitch in residency anyway I am mainly concerned that I will not be in control of my life in Active duty. Is this something I should be wary of? That being said would u recommend this scholarship/ program to me?

I will post more as I read more. Thanks again to everyone, this forum is very helpful to me in making an EDUCATED desicion for myself, therefore in responding to my questions please be as unbiased as possible.

1. I think so.
2. It's done whever they send you, which will most likely be an army base.
3. You get to submit a wish list, but you have to go where the army needs you.
4. Yes, the doctors get deployed. You won't be deployed as infantry or anything though. But the troops need doctors in most places they go. So if there are a lot of soldiers somewhere, there will be physicians too.
5. not sure
6. I doubt that the stipend is given on top of total cost.
7. It's a valid concern. Nobody but you can be sure if HPSP is the right decision for you.