Army national guard frequency/length of deployments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carn311

Dead tired.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm talking to a recruiter about the possibility of ECP with the guard and I was fully ready to except a 6mo-1.5year deployment length. But the recruiter says he can show me "in writing" that doctors can only be deployed for 90 days max (he did not mention training time) and that these 90 day deployments MUST be followed by 1yr of non deployment. I call BS. Does anyone know one way or the other if this is true?

Members don't see this ad.

that's what i've been told by my recruiter for the army guard. I was actually told that there's 2 years of non deployment after 90 days "boots in the sand"...

I've heard 90 days deployed once every 18 months at the NG here in MS. They also stated you can't be deployed until after you complete PGY-2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely bogus !!!! Just returned from deployment myself a 6 months ago and the Army docs I met over there are still ,you know were?!! Over there today !! Deployments in the Army are for one year plus period!!!

Completely bogus !!!! Just returned from deployment myself a 6 months ago and the Army docs I met over there are still ,you know were?!! Over there today !! Deployments in the Army are for one year plus period!!!
Were they AD or Guard?

I know several National Guardsmen MD's that have deployed on multiple occasions, and not one has been required to stay more than 90 days. Some have volunteered to stay longer, but none have been REQUIRED to.

I know several National Guardsmen MD's that have deployed on multiple occasions, and not one has been required to stay more than 90 days. Some have volunteered to stay longer, but none have been REQUIRED to.
Fine , trust your recruiter and you will find out if that is true or not .

Fine , trust your recruiter and you will find out if that is true or not .

I never said anything about recruiters - only the National Guard docs/flight surgeons that I've talked to.

I never said anything about recruiters - only the National Guard docs/flight surgeons that I've talked to.
Any chance of getting one to post on this board or getting one of their email address. I really would like to speak to an unbiased source.

I heard the same thing from my recruiter too. 90 Days boots on ground. Also I remember reading somewhere that this is fairly a new policy as many physicians and healthcare professionals were losing their practices to extended deployment (Gulf War 1) .

Any chance of getting one to post on this board or getting one of their email address. I really would like to speak to an unbiased source.

I'll see what I can do.

+1

I've heard the same from a NG Bn Surgeon. 90 days max required deployment and most are 2-6 weeks. He volunteers for as many as he can get and he's been on 5 since 9/11/01.

The linked article mentions an Army National Guard Flight Surgeon on a 90-day rotation, then he volunteers to pull another 90 days. Here is another article on a different doctor. Here is a third article that repeatedly references the 90 day rotation.

"Dr. Granger said health care providers, doctors, some dentists and certified nurse anesthetists come on 90-day reserve rotations to allow them to maintain their daily practices in the private sector, but medics, nurses and others deploy for about a year. Most of the reserves serving in Iraq were replaced by other reserve units earlier this year. More reserves replaced units serving at military hospitals outside the theater of operations."

" For medical professionals-physicians, dentists, nurse anesthetists and some others-the policy is whenever possible to allow them at least 18 months in between their 90-day deployments (although reserve officials have established a 120-day door to door policy, 90 days refers to the actual time on the ground). "The policy was basically established to make it 18 months minimum in between, whenever possible, and 12 months if it's a more critically needed area," Lt. Col. Moore said.

Division surgeons and a number of leaders of medical units may be excluded from the 90-day policy and will often stay for the duration of their units' tours. "

Its true 90 days plus/minus paperwork time to get in and out of theater usually two weeks max on either end.

All of my colleagues dents/meds have never been gone beyond 90 days.

Anyone interested in Illinois Army National Guard feel free to message me.