Emergency Medicine - Reserves and National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdem20

Reaction score
Looking to find out some more information, and any advice would be appreciated.

I am currently a civilian EM attending and have been considering joining the National Guard or Reserves (probably Army but open to other branches). I have some questions for those that have experience .

I understand that the NG has combat arms and the reserves have more medical positions but how does that relate to roles as a physician?

What are the main differences between the NG and Reserves in terms of positions, job responsibilities and deployments? I have heard a lot of the reserves just backfill deployed AD positions, is that true even for EM?

Do you get much say in terms of what unit you go to? FRSD sounds interesting.

I do not have a problem with deploying and would like to at some point but do you get any say with them with regards to civilian job status, family, etc?

Finally, would you recommend one (NG vs Reserves) over the other?

Apologies if these are dumb questions just trying to find out some more info. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

16 years in a National Guard unit speaking.
Here are quick comments...

I am currently a civilian EM attending and have been considering joining the National Guard or Reserves (probably Army but open to other branches). I have some questions for those that have experience .

I understand that the NG has combat arms and the reserves have more medical positions but how does that relate to roles as a physician? All positions will support combat arms in one way or another.

What are the main differences between the NG and Reserves in terms of positions, job responsibilities and deployments? I have heard a lot of the reserves just backfill deployed AD positions, is that true even for EM? From the service member point of view the NG and Reserves don't differ much. From an Administration point of view there are big differences. Those differences boil down to one group works for the federal government and one group works for the state (But funded by the federal government).

Do you get much say in terms of what unit you go to? FRSD sounds interesting. I'm not sure about the reserves but the NG you will most likely be working with the unit that requited you. However, if the "stuff" hits the fan you will be directed to do what is best for the service. Your personal needs are the last priority. That is why it is called "The Service".

I do not have a problem with deploying and would like to at some point but do you get any say with them with regards to civilian job status, family, etc? See the comments above! ---- I saw an OB get his practice destroyed when he was activated for Iran. ---- DO NOT sign up unless you can deal with the disruptions in your personal and professional life.

Finally, would you recommend one (NG vs Reserves) over the other? My experience was with the NG. When I talked with my counterparts in the reserves I felt I had the better deal.

Apologies if these are dumb questions just trying to find out some more info. Thanks

Good Luck with it all

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a general rule of thumb, NG is more of you being a GP, whereas the reserves uses you, for the most part, in your specialty.

As an ER doc, it is a wash for the most part.

Always better to volunteer for a deployment than get volatold when you are going.

NG vs reserves? No right answer.

One other thing, if you want aviation medicine, NG has more opportunities from my understanding.

Also, NG has special ops opportunities as well if you’re really gung ho. 🙂

ER docs have a freedom that few other specialties have, picking up work here and there around deployments. I’ve know one CRNA and one ER doc (to a lesser extent) that were deployment junkies. Do 100 or so days overseas, come and and chill for a month or so, then pick up a locum gig for 3-9 months while looking for the next deployment. Fewer opportunities for that life now, but those guys had some tales!

Good luck. I’m done with that life now, but it was fun and no regrets. I can only hope the next gen of mil docs have as good an experience as I did. Sadly, that seems doubtful at the moment, esp on the AD side.

I understand that the NG has combat arms and the reserves have more medical positions but how does that relate to roles as a physician?

What are the main differences between the NG and Reserves in terms of positions, job responsibilities and deployments? I have heard a lot of the reserves just backfill deployed AD positions, is that true even for EM?

Do you get much say in terms of what unit you go to? FRSD sounds interesting.

I do not have a problem with deploying and would like to at some point but do you get any say with them with regards to civilian job status, family, etc?

Finally, would you recommend one (NG vs Reserves) over the other?

You are correct NG has combat arms, reserves does not. Reserves does hold a large bulk of medical services for the Army. If you are a doc in the NG prepare to possibly be attached to a combat arms unit and being more out in the field. Reserves does usually back fill a lot in the US, but not always the case as it is more on a specialty by specialty basis.

In terms of the differences between NG and reserves it is based on roles and responsibilities. I would avoid NG because the state government also owns you so you can be called out for state emergencies vs. just federal emergencies. Depending on how orders are cut can also determine things like VA benefits if you are injured as well as pay. I will give the Texas National Guard as an example. Right now several Texas National Guard units are on the Mexico border. They are basically being paid as state employees on state orders and the pay is very low. If they get hurt it's a state workers comp claim vs. a VA claim because they are not on federal orders. Also if you live in a state that has a lot of natural disasters such as hurricanes, be prepared to be called out a lot more than reserves to serve in state roles. Some people like this as they feel they are supporting their state, me I would not like this so I went reserves (because my specialty is only in reserves, but I would have chosen reserves anyways!).

Also you have more openings in the reserves because you can go to any unit that is in the country (now granted if you choose to go to another unit states away then you might be getting there and back on your own dime!) vs. just in your state.

As for getting a say in what unit you go to? Yes and no. You will be assigned to a unit based on the Army's needs. Don't like the unit in the reserves? You can find a different unit and ask for a transfer. Most of the time this is not an issue.

As for your civilian job? The military doesn't care. Be prepared in either branch to have to do a lot of work outside of your civilian job and outside of drill weekends. Also be prepared to be deployed or mobilized at any time. Just the nature of beast. If you work for the state or the federal government then usually this is less of a big deal, but if you work for a small practice it could be a hardship if you had to leave for 6-12 months.

If it were me I'd go reserves (for the reasons listed above).