Army National Guard MEPS - Long QT Syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am interested in joining the Army National Guard and pursuing OCS. I am 36 years old and have a congenital heart condition known as Long QT Syndrome. I currently take a beta blocker (Nadolol) for the condition and have a normal EKG (QT interval) as long as I am on medication.

I assume this condition would automatically disqualify me for the Guard, but does anyone know if I could get a waiver for the condition?

Thanks,

Shawn

Members don't see this ad.

At one time they might have been more accomondating about medical conditions when they were having trouble reaching the numbers.

As a general rule I have have heard from the recruiters in my Army Reserve Unit that non-prior service waivers will most likely not be approved. Age waivers they are told to tell people thanks for your time and interest but we have an age limit. Same thing for medical conditions etc. The economic situation has caused a number of people to look at military service that might not have a year or two ago. Additionally I have seen a number of requests from people wanting to come back into the reserves because they need the money. A couple who have rejoined my unit have done it because they have lost their medical insurance and they wanted and in one case needed the Tricare Reserve because of a family member with a chronic medical condition.

If you are still interested you can have someone review the MEPS Medical Guidelines. If you don't fit in those guidelines you need to get a waiver. If your Guard unit wants you and is willing to push the issue it also goes along way if the state is behind the waiver.

Good luck

I am interested in joining the Army National Guard and pursuing OCS. I am 36 years old and have a congenital heart condition known as Long QT Syndrome. I currently take a beta blocker (Nadolol) for the condition and have a normal EKG (QT interval) as long as I am on medication
Talk to your recruiter. They have a vested interest in getting you in, but won't waste your time (or more importantly, their's) if you have no shot.

You can check out the National Guard recruiting forum which has more good info on stuff like this, but the latest has been that the Guard is not currently issuing health waivers. Not sure if that applies to OCS or not. I'd ask at that site, which is chock o' block with recruiters.

Best of luck...