• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Army National Guard

ATCtoDO

Dec 24, 2019
  1. Medical Student
Hi all,

So HPSP didn't work out for me. I've heard some good things about the guard and the possibilities for them to help with medical school. Does anyone have any insight into this? Am I better off trying to get loan repayment from the reserves after residency?

Thanks

TheEarDoc

Audiologist
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
The dirty south
  1. Non-Student
Hi all,

So HPSP didn't work out for me. I've heard some good things about the guard and the possibilities for them to help with medical school. Does anyone have any insight into this? Am I better off trying to get loan repayment from the reserves after residency?

Thanks

Going enlisted or officer in guard or reserves while in medical school is probably not going to be a good idea. Unless you have a very laid back CO, you're going to be expected to attend battle assembly ever month and attend schools for the military and also attend summer camp each year. Most CO's are not going to give you a pass because you are in medical school.

I would suggest take the loans, live cheap, finish medical school, then hit up the reserves or guard for some good loan repayment or cash bonuses when you finish medical school.

Reactions: 1 user

Detective SnowBucket

2+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2017
  1. Medical Student
Look into FAP for residents. Also, the signing bonus for 'direct accession' (joining active duty after residency) can be pretty high, even enough to entirely pay off debt. Signing for ortho after residency is >$300k for example.

DMBandFan86

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
Army Reserves MDSSP will keep you out of drill during medical school with stipend payments. If you match critical wartime shortage specialty in residency you can take STRAP and also get the stipend and be protected from drill while in residency.

NG typically makes you drill but can be command dependent.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.