Army Officer looking for a path to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluemaskcup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an Army officer with a year left and want to pursue medical school once I leave the Army.

Some history:

I received a bachelor's (GPA: 3.6) and a master's (GPA: 3.1) in materials science and engineering before joining the Army. My master's GPA is so low because my focus was on preparing myself for joining the military, so I wasn't concerned about my grades.

Before this, I applied back in 2015 with a 33 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, and around 300 volunteer hours and didn't get in, which was one factor in me joining the Army.

Where I need help:

Now that I have a year left in the Army, I am starting my transition towards my next career and exploring medicine as a career path. However, since my last medical school application, I have taken no steps towards medicine. To be frank, I didn't think I would want to pursue it once I gave up on it five years ago, but since then, my perspective has shifted a lot.

My plan right now is after I leave the army to enroll in a postbacc program to boost my GPA and then take the MCAT. Given my last MCAT performance, I am confident I can score at least a 515, but that still leaves my lack of health-related extracurriculars.

What can I do in the next year to set myself up for success in applying for postbacc programs and medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.