Army Officer looking for a path to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluemaskcup

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently an Army officer with a year left and want to pursue medical school once I leave the Army.

Some history:

I received a bachelor's (GPA: 3.6) and a master's (GPA: 3.1) in materials science and engineering before joining the Army. My master's GPA is so low because my focus was on preparing myself for joining the military, so I wasn't concerned about my grades.

Before this, I applied back in 2015 with a 33 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, and around 300 volunteer hours and didn't get in, which was one factor in me joining the Army.

Where I need help:

Now that I have a year left in the Army, I am starting my transition towards my next career and exploring medicine as a career path. However, since my last medical school application, I have taken no steps towards medicine. To be frank, I didn't think I would want to pursue it once I gave up on it five years ago, but since then, my perspective has shifted a lot.

My plan right now is after I leave the army to enroll in a postbacc program to boost my GPA and then take the MCAT. Given my last MCAT performance, I am confident I can score at least a 515, but that still leaves my lack of health-related extracurriculars.

What can I do in the next year to set myself up for success in applying for postbacc programs and medical schools?