army reserve mobilization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr63A

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
joined the army reserves in july 2011 and i have just been informed that i will be mobilized for 120 days in july 2012.

i'm pretty suprised. i thought mobilizations happened every 2-3 years. i didn't expect this at all especially with the wars winding down.

fortunately, i have a 2 year stabilization agreement (somehow higher hq is not aware of this) since i came off of active duty last year.

i post this to warn interested individuals who are being told that you won't be mobilized for 2-3 years after joining.

as a matter of fact, the information i was sent said because i haven't been mobilized for within the last 12 months that i am eligible.

so it's very possible (probably unlikely) for 120 day mobilizations to happen every 12 months.

good luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

How is this going to affect your associateship or business? If the former, are you going to have to quit? Did you join the reserves to pay back your student loans, and do you think it's worth the financial incentives?

How is this going to affect your associateship or business? If the former, are you going to have to quit? Did you join the reserves to pay back your student loans, and do you think it's worth the financial incentives?

It's illegal to discriminate against an employee based on military obligations.

Members don't see this ad :)

i'm doing a residency right now, so if i didn't have stabilization i would have been screwed.

i joined so i could receive a signing bonus, but the army essential misled me so i'm not receiving that either. (i'm not some idiot, i did do a fair amount of due diligence, but the untruths were so complicated that i didn't see it coming).

i am doing it to leverage my active duty time for a pension at age 60. if i didn't have active duty time and hpsp reserve time, then i probably wouldn't be doing it now. since i have 9 "good" years, i'm going for 11 more.

instead of the army reserve, i think the army national guard might be a good idea if you are worried about involuntary mobilizations. they offer the same incentives such as bonus and loan repayment.

i am thinking about transferring too.

It's illegal to discriminate against an employee based on military obligations.

it is indeed.

if you are in private practice, it will destroy your practice if you don't plan well.

that's why most reservists work for the govt (local,national).

i plan to work in a group practice with other reservists as backup.

i'm doing a residency right now, so if i didn't have stabilization i would have been screwed.

i joined so i could receive a signing bonus, but the army essential misled me so i'm not receiving that either. (i'm not some idiot, i did do a fair amount of due diligence, but the untruths were so complicated that i didn't see it coming).

i am doing it to leverage my active duty time for a pension at age 60. if i didn't have active duty time and hpsp reserve time, then i probably wouldn't be doing it now. since i have 9 "good" years, i'm going for 11 more.

instead of the army reserve, i think the army national guard might be a good idea if you are worried about involuntary mobilizations. they offer the same incentives such as bonus and loan repayment.

i am thinking about transferring too.
Do you know how it works in the Army National Guard? Do guardsmen not deploy, and they strictly work on base here in the US?

Do you know how it works in the Army National Guard? Do guardsmen not deploy, and they strictly work on base here in the US?

the guard do deploy, but the chances for dentists to deploy are greatly diminished compared to the army reserve.

the reasons are:

1) guard units (combat arms and support) need dentists to keep dental readiness up. if their dentists deploy then no one is left to do dental exams. there is a shortage in the guard and reserves. most state guard have about 2-3 dentists for the whole state. if you deploy, state unit is sort of screwed.

2) army reserve holds most of the medical assets in the army, thus your main job is to be ready for mobilization. army reserve dentists don't even do exams for their unit members. you really don't have much dental duties in the reserves compared to guard.

so if i were worried about mobilizations/deployments then i would go guard.

Thanks for the information. I was very confused about the difference between guard and reserves.

the guard do deploy, but the chances for dentists to deploy are greatly diminished compared to the army reserve.

the reasons are:

1) guard units (combat arms and support) need dentists to keep dental readiness up. if their dentists deploy then no one is left to do dental exams. there is a shortage in the guard and reserves. most state guard have about 2-3 dentists for the whole state. if you deploy, state unit is sort of screwed.

2) army reserve holds most of the medical assets in the army, thus your main job is to be ready for mobilization. army reserve dentists don't even do exams for their unit members. you really don't have much dental duties in the reserves compared to guard.

so if i were worried about mobilizations/deployments then i would go guard.

Search for my "One Army Dentists Story" for my experiences in active duty, reserve and currently Guard. I can't remember who I spoke to before (it might have been you) but yeah I got screwed by the recruiter as well, didn't get the bonus promised me in the IMA reserve.

Anyone interested in the Guard is more than welcome to contact me for information.