Army Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theskibumjohnso

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please enlighten me on the Army Reserve for Dentists. I have heard about the $3500 per month, the 90 days boots on ground, every 18 months ect. What are the pro's and con's. I would like to know what they do not tell you and what isn't said until you find out when you are already signed up?

Members don't see this ad.

I depends on where you are. I would probably look at the NGuard first. The main reason is that they fall under the state first. You are subject to the indivual states rules. For example, most states have a 2-3 year mandatory dwell time after a deployment. The reserves......unless they need you. Also in the reserves you can be plucked out and assigned to go with any unit, or backfill for a dentist that is deploying. For example you might be called to AD and assigned to a unit from Alabama that needs a dentist. The NG generally goes as an entire unit, and I don't think they can use you as a backfill to another state. I know there's always exceptions, but if you look at the 2 side by side, the NG seems a little nicer.

I'm also not sure about the reserves Bonus it was 10k but that may have changed in the last couple months. The NG is 25k a year for 3 years plus drill pay....$630 per weekend.

I'm not an expert, but I have sat down with both retention recruiters and looked at the pros and cons, and it seemed to me that the NG was a better deal.

Can someone please enlighten me on the Army Reserve for Dentists. I have heard about the $3500 per month, the 90 days boots on ground, every 18 months ect. What are the pro's and con's. I would like to know what they do not tell you and what isn't said until you find out when you are already signed up?

There is also the IMA program. That is only 2 weeks/year (not the 1 weekend a month). They have loan repayment of $75,000 for a 3 yr commitment. If you deploy for 90 days it is typically back filling someone at a base in the US - not in Iraq.

The downside is that you don't get enough drills in to qualify for any retirement benefits - so the advantage of this program is your time in service increases, potential for promotion, ability to still serve, and loan repayment/sign on bonus, usually choose which base you want to be at for the year - pretty flexible.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reserves......unless they need you. Also in the reserves you can be plucked out and assigned to go with any unit, or backfill for a dentist that is deploying. For example you might be called to AD and assigned to a unit from Alabama that needs a dentist. The NG generally goes as an entire unit, and I don't think they can use you as a backfill to another state. I'm not an expert, but I have sat down with both retention recruiters and looked at the pros and cons, and it seemed to me that the NG was a better deal.

every state might be different (but i don't think so) but the Missouri ARNG almost always deploys medical and dental officers as individuals. you can go to any unit from another ARNG or to replace an active duty officer.

one thing to remember. recruiters lie. they told me the same things when i initially joined the ARNG 10 years ago.

every state might be different (but i don't think so) but the Missouri ARNG almost always deploys medical and dental officers as individuals. you can go to any unit from another ARNG or to replace an active duty officer.

one thing to remember. recruiters lie. they told me the same things when i initially joined the ARNG 10 years ago.

Those Liars!!!!!! My advice, find someone in the reserves or NG and find out what their experience has been. Recruiters have other motives, saving thier jobs for one. There are very few medical professionals in the reserves or NG. For obvious resons, money alone is not worth it. I still might do it if I go into a group practice and they can live without me for a couple of months.

There is also the IMA program. That is only 2 weeks/year (not the 1 weekend a month). They have loan repayment of $75,000 for a 3 yr commitment. If you deploy for 90 days it is typically back filling someone at a base in the US - not in Iraq.

The downside is that you don't get enough drills in to qualify for any retirement benefits - so the advantage of this program is your time in service increases, potential for promotion, ability to still serve, and loan repayment/sign on bonus, usually choose which base you want to be at for the year - pretty flexible.

i looked into the NG program. Total 8 years. it only pays for 3 years full time active duty pay while you're in school, followed by 5 years of 1 weekend a month/2 weeks a year drill. deploy for 90 days, after which you are non-deployable for 24 months.

in order to take the $75,000 loan repayment plan, the 3 years you owe can be served concurrent to the remainder time.

edit: the recruiter told me of $50,000 bouns on top $75,000 but that adds 2 more years, so total of 10 year commitment.

what does IMA stand for?

Last edited:
i looked into the NG program. Total 8 years. it only pays for 3 years full time active duty pay while you're in school, followed by 5 years of 1 weekend a month/2 weeks a year drill. deploy for 90 days, after which you are non-deployable for 24 months.

in order to take the $75,000 loan repayment plan, the 3 years you owe can be served concurrent to the remainder time.

edit: the recruiter told me of $50,000 bouns on top $75,000 but that adds 2 more years, so total of 10 year commitment.

what does IMA stand for?

Individual Mobilization Augmentee