1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Army Scholarships

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by minoos, Mar 5, 2002.

1. minoos

minoos Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi
    I was thinking to get an army scholarship for dental school. Do you think does it worth doing that?. Iam waiting to hear your comments.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer Member
    7+ Year Member

I think its a great idea especially if youre going to a private school where the tuition is really high. I'm not quite sure how one would apply though.

4. deciduous

deciduous ready to shed
    7+ Year Member

I did alot ot thinking about that. I think it's a good deal, if you're going to be a general dentist and do not have a practice waiting on you. When you get out, you owe nothing.... that's great. They pay you about $45k a year for the four years you are there serving, with a $30k sign on bonus, that's not so great. It took me a while to wriggle that info. out of them. I plan on specializing, and so it just didn't figure to pay off for me in the long run, but in certain circumstances I would definitely recommend it!

5. ske5

ske5 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

iflossdaily is right about the additional inactive reserve for 4 years. If you want you can sign on for an additional 2 years after your first 4 (that's 6 years active), and then your obligation is complete (no inactive). They do offer a 1 year AEGD, which ends up defering your obligation, so you still only have 4 years, but you don't start them until you finish your AEGD. In the mean time, you are getting your AEGD in a military clinic, so you are practically working for them anyway. The Army does offer really good health insurance and some other 'perks' (although I can't think of any right now, so they can't be that good!), so depending on your situation, you may end up saving money in the long run anyway.

6. Drill+Fill

Drill+Fill New Member

the one year aegd DOES count towards the four years of service you owe

7. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I mentioned this in another thread, but who takes the time to look back? So I figure, it is worth repeating. My endodontist did the military route. He said that all of the dental schools have strong departments and weak departments at any moment in time. He felt that he benefited from the military experience because folks from different schools were placed together which allowed them to strenghen each other in the areas that their respective schools had fallen short.