Army Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minoos

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I was thinking to get an army scholarship for dental school. Do you think does it worth doing that?. Iam waiting to hear your comments.

Members don't see this ad.

I think its a great idea especially if youre going to a private school where the tuition is really high. I'm not quite sure how one would apply though.

I did alot ot thinking about that. I think it's a good deal, if you're going to be a general dentist and do not have a practice waiting on you. When you get out, you owe nothing.... that's great. They pay you about $45k a year for the four years you are there serving, with a $30k sign on bonus, that's not so great. It took me a while to wriggle that info. out of them. I plan on specializing, and so it just didn't figure to pay off for me in the long run, but in certain circumstances I would definitely recommend it!

Members don't see this ad :)
iflossdaily is right about the additional inactive reserve for 4 years. If you want you can sign on for an additional 2 years after your first 4 (that's 6 years active), and then your obligation is complete (no inactive). They do offer a 1 year AEGD, which ends up defering your obligation, so you still only have 4 years, but you don't start them until you finish your AEGD. In the mean time, you are getting your AEGD in a military clinic, so you are practically working for them anyway. The Army does offer really good health insurance and some other 'perks' (although I can't think of any right now, so they can't be that good!), so depending on your situation, you may end up saving money in the long run anyway.

the one year aegd DOES count towards the four years of service you owe

I mentioned this in another thread, but who takes the time to look back? So I figure, it is worth repeating. My endodontist did the military route. He said that all of the dental schools have strong departments and weak departments at any moment in time. He felt that he benefited from the military experience because folks from different schools were placed together which allowed them to strenghen each other in the areas that their respective schools had fallen short.