Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
For 200 hours in my highschool carrer, I volunteered at the general surgery department at the National Naval Medical center in Bethesda, MD. I found the hospital really nice back then and really appreciated the experience. Now that I am graduting college and heading off to medical school, I am really starting to consider HPSP, partly because of the dept free loans, but also a chance to serve my country.
Now here is the deal. Right now I am applying for the Navy and Army HPSP programs. Right now I am a bit confused, every recruiter tells me the bad things about the other service. The ARMY says that the NAVY's summer programs in medical school are really intense and that after medical school, during residency the NAVY can stop your residency any time for duty. They also said that once completing residency and serving your four years, you can be put on a aircraft carrier indefinitely, away from your loved ones. The army says that incomparision, they do not stop you at all during your residency, since their primary goal is to make a good doctor. They also said that when serving your four years that your call for duty may come but you usually serve for only 6 months on land and then you are back, working in a hospital. I'm not sure but I think they said that if you are surving in a base like kuwait your spouse can come too, but I'm not sure.
With the Navy, I hear that you get a lot more recognition and a lot better facilities to live in, have health care in, etc.. Right now I am really contemplating either one. Can someone give me some light.
Furthermore, in my past I have jumped into huge commitments and things that I really wasn't ready for and learned that taking the simpler path (i.e. just focusing on school and not worrying about extracurriculars), was the best way to go. When looking back at my past and thinking of HPSP, I get discouraged, but when I think of all the money I make and comming out debt free, I feel a lot more excited. Do you guys think that HPSP is a big commitment during medical school (you have no summers) and do you think my feelings of HPSP aren't strong enough to make HPSP worth it for me.
Please tell and sorry for the long post.
For 200 hours in my highschool carrer, I volunteered at the general surgery department at the National Naval Medical center in Bethesda, MD. I found the hospital really nice back then and really appreciated the experience. Now that I am graduting college and heading off to medical school, I am really starting to consider HPSP, partly because of the dept free loans, but also a chance to serve my country.
Now here is the deal. Right now I am applying for the Navy and Army HPSP programs. Right now I am a bit confused, every recruiter tells me the bad things about the other service. The ARMY says that the NAVY's summer programs in medical school are really intense and that after medical school, during residency the NAVY can stop your residency any time for duty. They also said that once completing residency and serving your four years, you can be put on a aircraft carrier indefinitely, away from your loved ones. The army says that incomparision, they do not stop you at all during your residency, since their primary goal is to make a good doctor. They also said that when serving your four years that your call for duty may come but you usually serve for only 6 months on land and then you are back, working in a hospital. I'm not sure but I think they said that if you are surving in a base like kuwait your spouse can come too, but I'm not sure.
With the Navy, I hear that you get a lot more recognition and a lot better facilities to live in, have health care in, etc.. Right now I am really contemplating either one. Can someone give me some light.
Furthermore, in my past I have jumped into huge commitments and things that I really wasn't ready for and learned that taking the simpler path (i.e. just focusing on school and not worrying about extracurriculars), was the best way to go. When looking back at my past and thinking of HPSP, I get discouraged, but when I think of all the money I make and comming out debt free, I feel a lot more excited. Do you guys think that HPSP is a big commitment during medical school (you have no summers) and do you think my feelings of HPSP aren't strong enough to make HPSP worth it for me.
Please tell and sorry for the long post.
) is the "rainbow warrior" award